The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default sheep question

We are in the middle of a heat wave and I am concerned about some sheep that are near my farm. They haven't been sheared in 2 years so their coats are very thick. It was almost 100' here today, probably well over 100' in the sun. A few years ago I contacted our local animal control about some sheep at the same location and she told me that the sheep's thick coat insulates them from extreme heat.

Does anybody know if that is really true? I can hear them bleating at night and I just want to be sure they are ok. The owner of the sheep doesn't live near the barn. It is run down but they appear to have water and some kind of shelter, although I'm not sure what their access is to it.

To keep this horse related, how well do sheep and horses get along and can they share the same pasture?

I'm surprised they still have their wool. Baarack the Sheep shed his months ago. The rams next to use are ragged but a lot of their wool is gone.
    Do horses and sheep go together? Baarack, who is a ram, was sleeping in the midst of our gang over the weekend. They chase him away from the hay on occasion, but other than that, no problems. I'm going to try to take pictures this weekend.

Depends on the horses. Some dislike small animals around their legs and take measures to remove the irritant! I have seen both kicking, striking, along with getting sheep bitten and thrown.

None of this is good for the sheep, some die. Other horses don't care, never hurt the sheep.

I would not put horses in the same pasture with my sheep. Just takes a moment of crabby horse, then damaged or dead sheep.

Yes wool insulates. If you were to dig your hands down to the base of wool and touch the skin it should be quite cool.

Wool is awesome Keeps them warm in the winter, cool in the summer, prevents sunburn too

I drove by a field that had a couple of horses and a bunch of sheep in it one winter. One of the sheep was nibbling at a horse's blanket. All of a sudden, the sheep was picked way up in the air and tossed. Can't imagine it did him any good at all.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Thankyou, everyone, for such helpful replies. I am relieved to know that the sheep are ok with their woolie coats.
    I would love to see pictures of Baarak! He sounds like quite a character.

Yes wool insulates. If you were to dig your hands down to the base of wool and touch the skin it should be quite cool.
    And then your hands would smell like lanolin.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte