The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question local trainer giving local clinics - normal?

We have a local trainer giving clinics at his own barn. His clients call the clients of other local trainer to invite them to the "local clinic" -- does this happen in your area? He is planning to have these "local local clinics" every month. I realize this is FOLSOM, LOUISIANA, but really???? This seems odd to me. What do you think?
    Normal is the setting on a dryer!

I dont understand, what is odd? Someone who is a local trainer gives a clinic for people that are local, and the problem is......????? So his clients call other trainers clients, is that the problem?? Well we have clinics here and we let other people know, some that train with other trainers and never had a complaint from anyone. THe trainers LIKE their people to work from time to time with other people. So I guess I am still wondering what the problem is here

We have local trainer that does this once a month to school the derby field. You have two options: ride in "her" clinic on saturday or ride with your own trainer in an open format on sunday.

No other local barns are called to invite riders. It is advertised in the local association newsletter and well known in the area. I think in this case it is more about having the opportunity to school in a derby field without having to be a client or committing to that trainers program.

No derby field issue here - i wish we had a derby field to practice on locally. Local trainer soliciting other trainers' local clients. I thought clinics were to bring in fresh opinions fresh eyes and fresh ideas. Not local trainers holding clinics for local riders that he competes against on a local basis.
    Normal is the setting on a dryer!

I don't understand the problem here either, except maybe that his clients are calling around, which could be construed as a little odd. Anyway, if the people who come to these clinics don't normally ride with this trainer, then how are his opinions any less fresh because he doesn't come from far away? Customers are free to decide who they want to work with, and offering no commitment clinics is probably a good marketing technique. What's wrong with that?

Yeah, I see the potential for issue.

It definitely could be a halfway creative to attempt to lure clients from the local area.

Now, if Frank Madden or the like lived in your neighborhood it might be a little different. But typically trainers send their riders off to clinics for fresh eyes that will also be leaving town the next day.

It could be completely harmless, or it could be just the opportunity this trainer is looking for to say, "You're doing that all wrong, I could have you going so much better"

Would depend a lot on the known character of said trainer as to whether this would concern me, as another trainer in the same town competing for the same business.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

The calling clients of other trainers is the odd part, imo.

I've gone to clinics hosted by other local trainers before. Sometimes it's just nice to get a fresh perspective on some things, and it's an awesome way to get a greenie used to outings.

However, I've generally seen them advertised in local publications, by farm mailing list, or by the trainer calling/mailing/emailing other local trainers directly.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I don't really see the problem, they'll only be "lured away" if there's a reason to be.

Some trainers do host clinics at their barn, it does help gain new clients. Most advertise via word of mouth or advertising, I haven't seen anyone actually calling folks though.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

... I'm in a smaller local area and a local horse club tried to host monthly clinics like this.

It was for mainly new riders from farms or new to the area and TEACHES them safety around horses. OR it gives local amateur riders without a regular trainer a refresher.

The clinics were cheap (as compared to clinician from out of town!)

Ease up clinics are supposed to be a fun learning atmosphere... and be serious, you dont need george morris to teach a group of newbies to 3ft hunter/jumpers. Local people are more than capable of teaching people to find your 'pace' and put your heels down. and more-so, i'm not gonna PAY hundreds of dollars an hour to have george morris (figuratively speaking of course )to put my heels down.

If the clinics are good and people learn, all the power to that instructor for helping people with their riding skills.
    Carol and Princess Dewi

**~Doccer'sDressage~**

I am surprised that not everyone finds this totally inappropriate. Not the clinic itself, but calling other trainers' clients. Posting flyers is appropriate, calling other trainers is appropriate, but calling individual clients already training at other barns? WAAAY over the line IMHO, and totally unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalter View Post
    I am surprised that not everyone finds this totally inappropriate. Not the clinic itself, but calling other trainers' clients. Posting flyers is appropriate, calling other trainers is appropriate, but calling individual clients already training at other barns? WAAAY over the line IMHO, and totally unprofessional.
    Okay, but we don't know what context this calling is taking, ya know? The OP herself said that it was the clients of the hosting trainer calling...how do we know Susie Q isn't calling Betty P over at Trainer B's barn saying "Oh hey Betty, my trainer is having this awesome clinic, you should bring Nickers over for some exposure and we can ride together!" Over the years I've ridden at different barns/different trainers than my friends, and we have always called each other about in-house shows or clinics, just to be friendly and get to ride together, without spending lots of money.

I also don't think Trainer A saying "Hey guys, I'm hosting a fun clinic about exposing green horses to water, give any interested friends a call!" is inappropriate.

In fact, the only inappropriate thing I can think of is Trainer A maniacally laughing and evilly rubbing her hands together, and chuckling "Hey faithful clients, call your friends at Trainer B's barn and try to get them to convert to the darkside over here at Barn A.." Or, of course, the trainer herself calling individual Barn B clients and asking them to come, instead of just a general call/flyer posted at Barn B.

-shrug- I don't see the big deal about the whole thing. Hopefully Trainer B is secure enough to have no issues with clients trying out a new set of eyes. OP--perhaps you're Trainer B and AREN'T secure?

Just because someone is local doesn't mean that they're not a great trainer with some great new ideas that your clients could benefit from.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I don't really see the problem, they'll only be "lured away" if there's a reason to be.
    Exactly.

So the competition is teaching lessons at their facility and advertising/soliciting for customers, huh? Tough breaks.

They have an open water jump, bank, cross country course, etc, and are offering opportunities to clinic over these obstacles - makes sense.

They have obtained a level of experience or success not otherwise found in the community - makes sense.

They have a working relationship with other professionals in the community, which often involves going to one another for help - makes sense.

I worked in a very small town that already had a TON of drama between barns. Clients would flip flop here and there to whomever told them what they wanted to hear - they were not educated enough to see through the sales pitch, so I don't buy the 'they'll only be lured if there's reason to be so'.

As a trainer you solicit clients by consistently turning out good horses and good riders at shows, keeping your nose clean, acting the professional to anyone and everyone, and pursuing common forms of marketing - ads, flyers, web sites.

If you want to hold a clinic inviting local riders to experience your point of view, and you have NO ulterior motives other than to benefit the riders in the community, you go to the other professionals and invite them and their barns to attend as a group. If the other professionals value the clinician's experience and methods, and are secure in the managing of their own clients, they will attend.

It has more to do with respect for your professional peers than anything.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

who's doing the calling? sounded like it's NOT the trainer calling around. if the trainer's clients have friends in other barns, what is unprofessional about them talking to thier friends?

I don't think it is "totally inappropriate" - heck, the sport does not even regulate who can and can't be a trainer, why on Earth would it regulate solicitation of clients?

Is it a little tacky? Eh, maybe. But as others have said, those who would get "lured" away due to something like this already had some reason to leave. If they really think the clinician is better than their regular trainer and want the opportunity to train with that person full time, well, that's up to them.

I'm consistently surprised by how many people view clients as the property of a particular trainer. I can think for myself, thanks.

My bad, I mis-read the OP and was under the impression that the trainer himself was calling other trainers' clients. However, I will say that I agree 100% with Dags' post.

And actually, contrary to what FineAlready just posted, there ARE some legal regulations re: solicitation of clients...I could tell a long, drawn out story if anyone is interested, but it goes kind of OT...

Local trainer clinics are fairly common in my area -- They are most often advertised through local associations, but trainers will e-mail other trainers and 'independant' riders to announce a clinic --

My BO hosts practice shows, and she'll encourage her clients to invite friends -- Knowing her, I can assure you she's not looking to solicit other trainer's clients -- She's looking to have a big enough group to have fun and 'fill' a hack class if there are any greenies that need u/s practice --

I really enjoy local clinics, and I've been fortunate to have trainers who appreciate their value to me and my horses -- I rely on them heavily when I've had trainers head south for the winter -- They're also great experience for young horses as they begin showing --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

My bad, I mis-read the OP and was under the impression that the trainer himself was calling other trainers' clients. However, I will say that I agree 100% with Dags' post.

And actually, contrary to what FineAlready just posted, there ARE some legal regulations re: solicitation of clients...I could tell a long, drawn out story if anyone is interested, but it goes kind of OT...
    I'd actually be interested in that (by PM if you prefer). I assume it is a state by state thing? I'm an attorney (albeit, a bankruptcy attorney), and I am not aware of any legal regulations of the nature you are describing. Unless you are thinking of some sort of telemarketing-type regulations?