The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainers in DE/MD/SEPA who train ponies to drive?

I have a 12.2 hand, 8 YO pony who I bought for my son when he was 7 months old (Yes, I jumped the gun!!)

Anyway, said pony doesn't have a job, and I'd love to have him broke to drive (as I am um, a little too big to RIDE him!). I used to drive Morgans as a kid, but have no idea on even fitting a harness and cart to such a small guy! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

I've been long-lining him some, and he's doing great, but now need someone who knows what they are doing and who has little gear!

Smile Trainers in the Mid Atlantic region

Hello and welcome to the world of driving!
    Visit the American Driving Society's webpage and there are resources and clubs which can answer many of your questions. In MD, SEPA and DE there are 4 active clubs, filled with many helpful and knowledgeable members. Additionally, there are at least 10 recognized 'trainers' and about that many qualified 'unrecognized' ones, lol.

Clubs are: My Lady's Manor Driving Club; Brandywine Driving Club, Delmarva Driving Club and depending if you're on the northern edge---Susquehanna Valley Whips and Wheels or the southern edge---Potomac River Driving Club.

Good Luck!
    Pao Lin