The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to Charge for Trailering?

I wanted to know what the going rate is now for trailering? I have heard people charge $1, $1.10 a mile... What do you guys charge? What if it is for a friend, do you just have them pay for gas? How do you calculate wear and tear on your truck and trailer?

Any sugguestions or opinions please!!!

Thanks!!

You might want to read the "Liability Waiver" thread in this forum, before you start hauling other people's horses. Does SOUND like easy money, before you get deeper into LEGAL issues that could happen to you for taking reimbursement for your services. If you charge, you are commercial, doesn't matter what you "think" or if others do the same. YOU are commercial if there is an accident and needs a police report.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=270737

One of the local horse auctions last year had a sort of a "raid" by police who wrote a BUNCH of tickets on folks hauling horses home for buyers, that were not commercial trailers or commercially liscensed drivers. Some of those caught complained bitterly in the local horse forums about the expense of tickets. They didn't even get into issues of liablility with a damaged horse! Sure did catch the local Auction goers by surprise, and ignorance of the law is NEVER a good enough excuse.

I would second this. Check with your insurance company re your exposure if there's an accident.

If you have met all the requirements of the Alphabet Soup (licenses, insurance, taxes, fees, etc.) then you should calculate your costs per mile for your vehicle and trailer (including fuel, maintenance, depreciation, interest on loans, etc.). Then add something your your time (at least minimum wage) then make that your basic hauling fee. I would guess that the number will come out to $1.25-$1.50/mi. I know a couple of guys who deliver trailers this what they usually get.

The above presumes "short hauls" and that you've got a "revenue load" out and back. If you're doing overnights or will be "deadheading" in one direction you will need a higher "loaded mile" fee to cover the additional costs.

G.

$2.50 mile for whole 2 horse trailer or split between 2 horses.

Similar to what others have mentioned, I calculate what the additional insurance (care, custody, and control for trailering) costs, plus some reasonable percentage of the wear and tear. I think government mileage rate is $0.50/mile right now for fuel and wear on a passenger vehicle. Adjust upwards, of course, for truck + trailer. And your time.

One additional thing to have agreed before hand (preferably in writing, even among friends) is wear and tear outside the norm. In other words, if their horse damages your trailer while riding on it or tied to it, you need to prove the extent of damage and have an agreement of how it'll be fixed.

We transport commercially and charge $2 per mile plus $30 per hour. Commercial insurance rates are hefty!

For friends I usually try to do a quid pro quo deal but they still sign the waiver and go through the same motions as paying customers.

God, I hope none of my friends see this! Jeez.

Are you all going somewhere together or are you doing all the work and they get to stay home? I think your time vs. their time vs. joint time makes a difference on what to charge.

For example, if you are going to a show together, then it is nice to have someone else help pay for the gas you would be using anyway. I don't think they will/should give you $2.50 a mile in that case though...

Also, it would depend on if it was my good friend/barn mate or an acquaintance.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    You might want to read the "Liability Waiver" thread in this forum, before you start hauling other people's horses. Does SOUND like easy money, before you get deeper into LEGAL issues that could happen to you for taking reimbursement for your services. If you charge, you are commercial, doesn't matter what you "think" or if others do the same. YOU are commercial if there is an accident and needs a police report.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=270737

One of the local horse auctions last year had a sort of a "raid" by police who wrote a BUNCH of tickets on folks hauling horses home for buyers, that were not commercial trailers or commercially liscensed drivers. Some of those caught complained bitterly in the local horse forums about the expense of tickets. They didn't even get into issues of liablility with a damaged horse! Sure did catch the local Auction goers by surprise, and ignorance of the law is NEVER a good enough excuse.
    Legal, schmegal (sp?). I think we get too carried away worrying about "what ifs" and being "legal".

I carpool and we split the cost of gas. Does that make me "commerical" or a "taxi?" I don't think so.

I believe you can split the cost of gas without venturing into the realm of being considered a "commercial shipper."

I either split gas or switch off with friends.

However, last year I was bringing a horse home for a friend from an event (unexpected passenger) and the horse started to collapse on my trailer. I was lucky enough to be near a barn where I new the owner and unloaded her there. We never figured out what made her start to fall, and she seemed to be fine later, but it completely changed my perception on hauling other people's horses. That particular horse will never set foot on my trailer again and I will never trailer another horse unless their owner is with me and they've signed a liability form. I wasn't doing this for money but if that horse had gone all the way down in my trailer she could have injured herself, my horse and the trailer. Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    Legal, schmegal (sp?). I think we get too carried away worrying about "what ifs" and being "legal".

I carpool and we split the cost of gas. Does that make me "commerical" or a "taxi?" I don't think so.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post

I guess you should call and check your insurance details. You may or may not be covered for carpooling, money changing hands.

And horses fall into the "freight" catagory, which makes a big difference when money comes into play to move them. They are a commodity, like boxes. Whole different set of rules regarding insurance, vehicles, driver training and liscense endorsements.

Where there are taxi laws, you might be in trouble because you don't meet "standards', yet are getting paid to haul people. All depends on local laws.

Do what you want! Know that if something bad happens, ignorance of the law is no excuse if a person or horse gets hurt and you are the paid driver. You hear that all the time when are a commercial driver, it is ALWAYS the driver's fault!

Where I live, a person can haul another person's horse at cost only, and be covered insurance wise by their local association (AEF or EC) if both parties have a membership. They cannot charge more than cost though...not even an "I'll by you dinner" or the insurance would be waived.

We have additional insurance so we can haul horse's for our boarders/clients for a profit, but not for outside parties (other than to and from a vet hospital in an emergency). Commercial insurance was prohibitively expensive!

The risk of hauling without insurance would be too great for me to want to risk it; remember it isn't just your friend that may sue...it is their insurance company too.

Commercial haulers around here seem to have per mile rates for local hauls, and set rates for longer, scheduled hauls, where they can fill up their trailers (usually from one race track to another). So it may cost $300.00 to get your horse to a local show and back (2 hours total), but only $600.00 to get your horse across two provinces (12 hours or more).

Depends on how full my trailer is, I charge between $0.75-$1.00 per mile. That will probably go up a little next year....

I am covered by 'Care and Control" under my farm policy.
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict