The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

ratherberidin' Guest

Default Hunter "Performance" classes

Wow, I'm so confused! New to me are the Performance hunter classes at our local shows. They are all flat classes but some of them I never see except at maybe two shows a year so could someone please explain to me how to ride the following classes - Bridle Path Hack, Road Hack and Ideal Pleasure. How do they differ from hunter under saddle classes? They all seem quite the same to me!
    Thanks so much.

Back in the 1960s bridle path hack was similar to a hunter under saddle class. It was w/t/c plus hand gallop, had to back quietly and sometimes they would ask you to dismount and mount back up again (with no assistance). The purpose was to show a horse that was basically a pleasant riding horse, with good manners and hunter type movement.

I can't help you with the other classes.

These are class names that don't exsist in the nationally ranked Open Hunter shows. They do in breed shows and various locals depending on what breeds/seats are popular in their area.

Bridle Path Hack (which is actually a common flat class at locals nationwide and some of the breed shows) is just a flat class for Hunter type horses that technically are built to jump a Hunter course even if they never do so.

The Road Hack sounds like a class you might see in a Morgan or ASB show...and I seem to recall seeing that somewhere....it might be a driving class for pleasure types as opposed to the Fine Harness horses or just a flat class of the non showy Saddle Seat types-I can't remember.

Ideal pleasure? No idea but I bet it is exactly what it sounds like. Maybe a command class where you are asked to work at the judge's disgresssion not the same old same old w-t-c-go the other way.

These should be described in the prize list or simply go watch the show and see what they are talking about.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

ratherberidin' Guest

Default Thanks ...

Thanks for the help. I have only seen these classes at one other show but I wasn't there to actually witness all of them. Disciplined Rail (Command class) is also part of the division as is Versatilty which is basically all the other classes combined. The Road Hack is definitley not a driving class as it is part of the Performance division, but it does sound reminescent of some saddle seat class. Hopefully others will see the post and offer their input as well.

In our area, Road Hack is a pleasure class that can ask for extended trot, hand gallop and back. Usually see a mix of saddleseat and hunt seat riders.

Ideal Pleasure is judged on how close the horse's gaits are to The Ideal movement...not just like in a regular pleasure class that asks if the horse is a "pleasure to ride".

Bridle Path hack - usually w/t/c with 2 small jumps and a hand gallop.

YMMV - these descriptions are for Central PA.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Here we have a trilluim hack division. Road Hack, Show hack and pleasure hack.

If I remember correctly pleasure hack is the sort of horse that goes in such a manner you would feel safe to put your grandmother on, autopilot with loopy reins. Road hack is a horse with a bit more spark and animation and little bit more in the bridle. A show hack is a more 'up' sort of a way of going. More in the bridle and showy..

I had a mare that won or placed in the top of pleasure hack all the time. Lol she was the most boring horse to ride ever.

The Ideal classes.... from the Pinto shows, Ideal is where you perform rail work both directions, then the judges will call everyone into the center of the ring, everyone untacks and they then judge the horse on their conformation. So this way it is basically an under saddle and halter combined. If you look it up on youtube I think there is a video example of the class. I had only seen it at the Pinto World Show as I was watching one of my friends go in the class and had never heard of it before! Now I heard it's been used also at our State 4-H show, so maybe gaining popularity?

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Bridle Path hack - usually w/t/c with 2 small jumps and a hand gallop.

YMMV - these descriptions are for Central PA.
    Never seen that for BPH...when I have seen that it's called Hunter Hack and is out of the Breed show book of definitions for classes.

But, yeah, Canada does things differently, so do locals not governed by USEF class definitions. As is their right.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Never seen that for BPH...when I have seen that it's called Hunter Hack and is out of the Breed show book of definitions for classes.

But, yeah, Canada does things differently, so do locals not governed by USEF class definitions. As is their right.
    Yeah, Hunter Hack does the 2 jumps too, but here you wouldn't find Hunter Hack in a Pleasure division, thus the Bridle Path Hack - but BAC is right - they would often ask for the dismount, hand gallop, etc. Been a lot of years since I've seen a bridle path hack class offered!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

These classes are headed the way of the dodo and rarely seen except in local shows and maybe breed shows. Shows like to have a division to give a championship and need 3 classes and having 3 "pleasure" classes sounds boring so adding road hack and bridle path hack give it some diversity! Judges want to see a well mannered horse on a longer rein than hunters that is a great mover and pretty helps too.
    History helps explain the names. Back in the day, one had specialized horses: the actual hunter that you rode to hounds
    the horse you rode to the meet to exchange for your hunter. This needed to be a comfortable ride with ground covering gaits and the ability to jump a pasture fence or two on the way, hence "hunter hack"
    Sundays you wanted to go to town and show off so your road hack was the fancy one that though very well mannered, was a bit flashier and eye catching as you rode to church or into town for a dance.
    A leisurely ride on a bridle path called again for the comfortable, well mannered horse that would go along quietly as you chatted with the oppossite sex and would stand quietly while you got off and on to have a picnic!

These classes have of course morphed into basic pleasure classes and usually judged as such. I haven't seen RH or BPH for years but I like the hunter hack to introduce green horses and riders a low stress start to over fences.

Open English Pleasure is a nationally recognized division. The division consists of three flat classes with specific specifications for each class. You can see the specifics on each on the USEF website. The division offers national points and year end awards. This division is not restricted to breed shows and local shows anymore.