The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Saddle Never Fits

Just a short vent to make myself feel not so alone..... anyone else out there manage to have horses that are "impossible" to fit.... This is the third time I am looking at a custom saddle.......

And BTW the horse conformation is just fine..... vet has checked etc.... just a real tough fit

Yep! I think there is a lot of hard to fit horses, but its the horses that MUST be in a perfectly fitting saddle to go well that present the problem. Most horses deal with the imperfections/french "unhorse friendly" trees/ weird pad combination, but my horse, nope... needs "his" saddle (which of course only fits seasonally ).

Yup.

At this point I'm debating on taking my favorite saddle out and fitting the damn thing to a horse and buying the horse to fit the saddle instead of the other way around.

Hope you find an affordable solution.

Have you looked at only 3 saddles? If so, you haven't even started

Why do you think/have you been told he's a difficult fit?

Our saddlefitter told me that there are very few horses that are truly hard to fit, and those often have conformational faults that are a little outside the normal range. And even those you can work with. So don't believe what anybody tells you about your horse's back and work with a professional (and I don't mean a saddlemaker's rep, this person needs to be independent.) If you already are, call a different saddlefitter for a second opinion. Don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Have you looked at only 3 saddles? If so, you haven't even started

Why do you think/have you been told he's a difficult fit?
    I wish it were only three ---- nope more than 10..... several brand and several styles .... and with an independent saddle expert and with very experienced fit

I think the horse is difficult to fit - and have been told she is difficult to fit because - her wither is prominent and her shoulders are significant but her back is sensitive
    - difficult to get the correct fit at the shoulders/wither and correct balance over the rest of the back

Quote Originally Posted by eyetallion stallion View Post
    Yup.

At this point I'm debating on taking my favorite saddle out and fitting the damn thing to a horse and buying the horse to fit the saddle instead of the other way around.

Hope you find an affordable solution.
    Love your solution... too late for me.... placed a call to Stackhouse (I have one of their saddles from another horse hoping they can adjust/refit it)

Quote Originally Posted by juststartingout View Post
    I wish it were only three ---- nope more than 10..... several brand and several styles .... and with an independent saddle expert and with very experienced fit
    Where are you? Maybe you have the wrong fitters? I just can't imagine a horse being THAT hard to fit. I'm sure they must be out there, but I just can't wrap my head around it

I think the horse is difficult to fit - and have been told she is difficult to fit because - her wither is prominent and her shoulders are significant but her back is sensitive
    - difficult to get the correct fit at the shoulders/wither and correct balance over the rest of the back
    Why? I'm not being snarky, truly wondering. What is "sensitive" about her back? What shape is it? Are you 1000% positive there aren't some physical issues going on that would need massage and/or chiro and/or potentially a diet or feet tweak to get rid of the back issue?

Prominent withers and big shoulders are right up the Amerigo/Vega alley. But the rest of the shape may or may not be a match.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to get more information

Reactor Panel.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Try schelese they have been wonderful saddles for my fussy pants

Love your solution... too late for me.... placed a call to Stackhouse (I have one of their saddles from another horse hoping they can adjust/refit it)
    Oh good, I was going to suggest David. He should be able to refit it no problem!

Default i am going thru this annoying process my self--

So far I have tried 6 saddles --3 more are on the way--

My problem is I love a simple shallow saddle-- like a Beval LTD2
    Problem is they are not generous enough for the majority of what I ride.

My main saddle is a Richard Castelow Flat seat close contact saddle.
    If I could afford I would order another from him because these are the best fitting saddles I ever had. He is truly custom.
    Not like the County's I tried. I need a second saddle . I also have a hard time cause I need a long flap. So if anyone has any ideas I am up for suggestions.

I don't need whiskey barrel wide just more room so the spine is not pinched.
    I may need whiskey though before this process is over!!!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse is very hard to fit too, so I feel your pain--he's got wide QH shoulders, a high long wither and is built a bit uphill through the back. I just bought a Collegiate Diploma with the interchangeable gullet and got about as good a fit as I could hope for without going for the $2500 custom Hastilow we tried out... good luck! I hate saddle shopping; I've frequently told my horse that if he has issues with one more saddle, I'm swapping him for a horse that fits it. d;

Thanks to all for the suggestions.Have already tried:

Butet
    Vega
    Antares
    Passier
    Dover Circuit
    Stackhouse from earlier horse
    and a few more.....

Will try tomorrow:

Frank Baines
    Jefferies
    Used Stackhouse
    County.....

Ultimate solution is likely redoing existing Stackhouse .... but in the meantime

While saddle fitting can indeed be a vexing process, I think your situation is fairly unusual in that most horses don't require an "exact" saddle fit to go well.

You mention that your horse's back is sensitive, if sensitivity or discomfort under saddle is the problem, is it possible that she has a back problem that is aggravated by weight bearing/back pressure in general? Just something to consider.

From what I have seen -- saddle s are more designed for the rider than the horse. If more riders understood true fit --- they would see the gap!!!

I
    Hey! Who are you and what are you doing with my horse?
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

i have to say, im with the OP. I like the same kind of saddle as her minus the long flap as i am short with a 17.2 hand horse with very prominent withers, But i like the flat seats. I have a custom CWD that i have had for oh about 3 months that still doesnt fit. it is being redone for the 2nd time now because it has never fit my horse. I really do not believe in "custom" anymore. This saddle was a long shot to what actually fit my horse and me. I can see where the OP is frustrated because im in the same boat. except that i already paid for a "custom" saddle.

There are a number of saddles that fit horses like the one the OP describes. Pretty much none of the ones you listed would be my choice for that type of back, except maybe the Baines and the Vega. Some of the very close contact type hunter saddles have smallish panels and narrow gullets, which are going to be brutal on that type of horse. You want a wider gullet and enough of a panel to provide clearance and the correct shape for the shoulder. You might also want to try Prestige, Albion, Black Country, Excelle or Amerigo. Prestige and the Excelle particularly make the type of saddle you like

Teddygirl.... thanks for the suggestions...

The Prestige didn't fit. The Vega was a no go as well. I figured the Amerigo would fit pretty much like the Vega. The Black Country and the Albion don't fit the rider (AT ALL)

Trying the Baines tomorrow - Excelle is new to me.... will look into that one