The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to buy a trailer from out of state...

I found a great trailer that is in Texas. I live in Colorado. Short of flying there and looking at it, how can I manage this purchase? Has anyone used an escrow service? Are there people that you can pay to check out a trailer for you in another state? I need ideas.
    Thanks in advance.

There was a great thread on some of your questions a few weeks ago, but you'd neeeeeever find it with the search function. So here it is:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=267482

I've done that twice now; I'm in Michigan and bought the first one from a used trailer dealer in Virginia, second one was from a private individual in Illinois. On both cases, i got very detailed histories and lots of photos from both sellers, as well as a very good "vibe" from them. Gave the dealer a deposit on my credit card, gave the other woman my word that I'd be there to pick it up, assuming it looked like what I expected, the very next day and she agreed to hold it for me. Both could have been long drives that turned into a waste of time, but in both cases I knew exactly what I wanted and was waiting for something to come along at the right price!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am considering selling my gn trailer for a bumper pull. Can you share with me the sites that got such good responses to your sales ads? Thanks.

i started that thread in4jenny referenced. boy, was i irritated!!
    in retrospect, i think i should have offered to provide some sort of reference to the poential buyer for our trailer. i have bought horses in which a wire transfer was always the mode of transaction and both parties were always happy. i still think that is the best way to go.
    depending on the brand of trailer, you might see if there is a rep that would be willing to check it out for you. the trailer we are selling is an elite and their rep is just terrific. very helpful to me with advice and suggestions. i am just a terrible seller of stuff. i am a good buyer, tho!
    good luck with your purchase!

The only SURE way to know what you're buying is to go and see it yourself.

Photos, videos, etc. are OK, but presume a basic honesty by the maker. Third pary examination by someone you trust (honesty and technical competance) is also good but not always available.

If you're talking about a low end trailer you're going to pay your money and take your chances. For a high end unit you'd be foolish not to go and look for yourself. In the middle it's going to be a judgement call.

The beauty of wire transfer is that the buyer can pre-arrange the transfer with their bank; travel to see and inspect the unit; then, if it passes muster, finalize the payment with a phone call. No requirement to carry cash, checks, money orders, etc. For the seller they know they've been paid before the trailer leaves their possetion.

Long distance transactions will always carry a level of risk, but the risk can be managed.

G.