The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default because I was curious...

I recently sent my hay samples for testing. I decided to go hog wild and test everything I feed my horses, and will share in the event it helps anyone else out.

So, here are the results for Triple Crown's bagged Alfalfa Cubes:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...0/EQ030103.jpg

for some real excitement (lol, I'm such a nerd!) stay tuned for the nail-biting results of the difference between dry-out-o-the-bag plain beet pulp shreds versus the same but soaked for 24 hours and washed 3x... hang onto your hats folks!
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

Cool. I just subscribed to this thread. Is your beet pulp the kind with molasses?
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

I am interested in the information you receive ~ thanks for posting and sharing ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

and here it is,

triple crown brand PLAIN beet pulp shreds, dry, right out of the bag:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5.../tcbeepdry.jpg

and the same exact product, soaked overnight then rinsed 3x
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...beepwashed.jpg

the test samples are both from the same bag of product, from the same feeding actually. I took a handful of dry right from my feed bin and set it aside in a ziplock. Then rationed out the horses for the next day in their feed pails and filled with water as I normally do. Next day, I washed the soaked bp as normal – 3 times till the rinse water runs clear – took a handful of that and put it in a ziplock bag and send both to be tested.

Makes sense that the WSC and ESC are both significantly lower, but I find the higher protein a bit strange I asked this question to EA, hopefully they will respond.

in the meanwhile, hope this is useful to someone.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

I think the difference in moisture content and the fact that you've washed out a lot of sugar might account for the difference in protein.
    Click here before you buy.

aahh, because its a percentage thing? I get it, thanks dw!

eta, EA just replied:
    It’s a matter of mathematics – when you reduce the concentration of certain components (e.g. carbs), that which remains (e.g. protein) increases in concentration as a percentage of the whole.
    Last edited by buck22; Sep. 3, 2010 at 09:10 AM.

Ummmmm, plain beet pulp, without molasses, has no sugar in it. It is the byproduct of sugar industry processing and is totally digestible fiber. It is more digestible than hay.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

That's really interesting. As a matter of curiousity, did you compare it to what is listed on the feed tags?

It's a good model to show how much soaking/rinsing can have an affect on something that hasn't had sugars added to it. I wonder how effectively you can remove the sugars from beet pulp with molasses like this?

I would have thought that soaking/rinsing would affect the starch level a bit more? (It obviously affected it some or it would have increased even more (% wise).)

Was it soaked in cold, warm, or hot water?

I saw mention of this thread on another post, and came to look at the reports, but the photobucket links aren't working for me. Has the location changed? I have an IR horse that gets a tiny bit of beet pulp to get his supps/meds in, so I'm really interested in your results.

Links still work for me.

The first link (plain) results are... (dry matter basis, sample was 92.5% dry matter)
    WSC - 12.7%
    ESC - 8.7%
    Starch - 2.1%

The second link (soaked and rinsed) results are... (dry matter basis, sample was 15.6% dry matter)
    WSC - 2.6%
    ESC - 1.4%
    Starch - 2.4%

So sugars were decreased, starch was not (at least not by any appreciable amount).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Ummmmm, plain beet pulp, without molasses, has no sugar in it. It is the byproduct of sugar industry processing and is totally digestible fiber. It is more digestible than hay.
    Uhm, according to the data it apparently does

Dawn, the only thing listed on the bag label that I paid attention too was protein and it was within spec iirc.

I used ground temp water. Rationed out the dry product, filled bucket with ground temp water, let sit 24 hours (my horses are only fed once per day), strain off water and then rinse shreds 3 times.

I guess starch isn't water soluable?? I don't know, I'm just pleased as punch that its gone from an NSC of 14.8 (wsc + starch) to a NSC of 5. Makes me feel quite a bit better that my efforts are not for naught.

horsepoor, the links haven't changed, if you're having a hard time seeing them, pm me your email and I'll email you the jpgs if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    That's kind of like saying oranges have no sugar in them. Beet pulp w/o molasses DOES have sugar in it (often called "natural sugar") but no added sugar Beet pulp with molasses has natural plus added sugars. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    horsepoor, the links haven't changed, if you're having a hard time seeing them, pm me your email and I'll email you the jpgs if you want.
    Thanks - I can view the linked files now -- I think photobucket was down earlier as I couldn't get anywhere, but works fine now.

Guess I'll be pulling out an old colander and rinsing.