The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions for work while having (rider) balance issues?

This weekend I started feeling as if I couldn't ride at all (worse than normal!) and finally realized it's because I'm getting a sinus infection. Basically, I have zero balance, to the point I'm unable to walk in a straight line. I should be fine by the end of the week, but my horse would NOT be fine not feeling as if he's working until then. He's a workaholic and makes it clear he already thinks I don't work him hard enough!

My horse is VERY forgiving and does his best despite my currently being very uneven, yet I don't want to fall off or something. I definitely noticed a lack of straightness in him as he responded to me, particularly when asking him to really engage, so am looking for things to do while I get over the sinus-related vertigo.

I'm thinking lots of walking around trails (as we've been doing) and walk/trot/walk transitions just off my seat, suppling, and overall relaxation seem the way to go. Any suggestions of things I can do to keep things fun for a few days, with a horse who has a very active mind and wants to feel like he's working?

I think cantering is completely out for me right now, as well as longing or any riding in smaller circles.

Even though I can't feel my unevenness, I can tell by his response if I'm sitting unevenly, so slow lateral work, etc., is fine - if he starts leaning on one leg or rein, I know it's me and to fix it.

Anyway, has anyone had this kind of problem, or have suggestions? He'll be getting turnout and hopefully I'll either get my trainer or one of the other riders at the barn on him to get him a decent workout. I just want to keep our rides fun for him, too, and to him fun = work.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

The very thought of riding with a sinus infection and no balance makes me want to throw up. You are tougher than me. I'd give him the week off, personally, and get myself right before I got back on.

Not tough, so much as 1) Impatient with myself, as I'm improving but not anywhere near I want to be yet (just for training/1st level so far) 2) I have a workaholic horse who gets himself in trouble/injures himself if he has a week off out of boredom.

I'm one of those people who wants to be able to ride every day, so having a horse who pouts on his day off suits me well most of the time. It may even be that just walking trail rides are the answer. I'm sure we'll figure something out and I'll get someone to work him harder at least once this week.

My sister completely lost the vestibular nerve in one ear, from pneumonia. She could not walk from her bed to the bathroom without falling. One doctor told her she would never walk, let alone ride, again.

But she did, and got back to Eventing at Advanced. Her brain adapted to using her eyes instead of her ears for balance. But she still has problems in the dark.

Mainly persistence and refusal to give up.
    Last edited by Janet; Aug. 30, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

First of all, I hope your ENT has you on anti-biotics, steroids and gave you an additional steroid shot. As an allergy sufferer and victim of numerous sinus infections, I feel for you! I don't know how you are still riding, I am perfectly miserable with sinus infections.

Start off your rides doing balance exercises. There are a lot of exercises that get your body aligned and balanced naturally and you probably know most of these, but we all need to be reminded of them occassionally. Like my trainer says to me- don't skip your steps!

So, at the walk- kick your feet out of the stirrups, lift your arms above your head. Hook your knees up over your knee blocks. Swing your legs back and forth or turn your upper body to touch your horse's tail.

So, until you are feeling better and aren't losing your balance-Work in front of the mirror on a 20m. circle so that you can see yourself and check your balance. Work on leg yield along the wall. Work on ToF or ToH...all of these seem to require correct balance.

sounds like your sinus infection has affected your inner ear. Please do not ride! Just look at what happened to CKD! Having no balance/vertigo and trying to ride is just asking for trouble. can you lunge your horse? Anything to keep you safe!

I know how it is. I had a major bought of vertigo this spring. Tried to ride. It's just so dangerous, not worth risking your safety!!

Thanks for suggestions!

Good point on safety - after having a horse fall on me and getting a concussion years ago, I always ride with a helmet - but as I had one that time and still got a mild concussion, it certainly isn't a cure-all.

My horse was wonderful about trying to stay under me when I was off balance, but cantering is definitely out for a few days even though he was doing his best to keep me steady.

Longing is definitely out - I will fall over if I try for sure. But I'll see about alternatives to get him exercised, because it was a very good point - safety is paramount! If I were to get hurt, it'd be a lot more than a few days before I can ride again!

BetterOffRed - it's a combination of allergies and weather for me. I get minor sinus infections regularly, and generally only go on antibiotics if I have a fever which won't go away vs. strong decongestants clearing them up for me. So far, the fever isn't there, just the pain/pressure/dizziness, so hopefully it gets better and not worse. It is rare that a sinus infection makes me dizzy, so hopefully that's not a sign this one's getting worse instead of better!

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    This weekend I started feeling as if I couldn't ride at all (worse than normal!) and finally realized it's because I'm getting a sinus infection. Basically, I have zero balance, to the point I'm unable to walk in a straight line. I should be fine by the end of the week, but my horse would NOT be fine not feeling as if he's working until then. He's a workaholic and makes it clear he already thinks I don't work him hard enough!

ok let get you in a better position

look here and read page i on ow to alter your stirrups correctly this will help with your postion and balance and the horses way of going

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=178116

My horse is VERY forgiving and does his best despite my currently being very uneven, yet I don't want to fall off or something. I definitely noticed a lack of straightness in him as he responded to me, particularly when asking him to really engage, so am looking for things to do while I get over the sinus-related vertigo.

do the above as mentioned - as unfiar for a horse to go round with a croakered rider as he has to compensate your weight as well as his own and in time can effect him badly as could go stiff or end up having a bad back

a croaked rider makesa croaked saddle makes a croaked horse

I'm thinking lots of walking around trails (as we've been doing) and walk/trot/walk transitions just off my seat, suppling, and overall relaxation seem the way to go. Any suggestions of things I can do to keep things fun for a few days, with a horse who has a very active mind and wants to feel like he's working?

ask to go on the lunge and work thehorse without stirrups this will imporve your balance and your seat
    go to the bottom of my helpful links pages for some simpler exercises by self and other cothers

I think cantering is completely out for me right now, as well as longing or any riding in smaller circles.

always go large when lack of confidence or balance always stop rather than continue if you feel you have lost the plot - as then the horse isnt picking up any bad habits from you so stop
    count ten take a deep breath and then re start the exercise you was doing via instructor what you had in a mind to do

so stop - then re address yourself count to ten or sing whatever then re start and alway end on a good note - so if its a freewalk to medium walk you ending on then fine if its trot as in sitting or rising then walk then end on a good note so that you have achived something your self and your horse has to

dont set goals to high think its a ladder tiny steps uo the staircase so we are on rung 1 next objective is rung 2 and so on ok

Even though I can't feel my unevenness, I can tell by his response if I'm sitting unevenly, so slow lateral work, etc., is fine - if he starts leaning on one leg or rein, I know it's me and to fix it.

do as above it weill help you read all of page one and all links

Anyway, has anyone had this kind of problem, or have suggestions? He'll be getting turnout and hopefully I'll either get my trainer or one of the other riders at the barn on him to get him a decent workout. I just want to keep our rides fun for him, too, and to him fun = work.

mate this is a common problem so dont ever think your alone ok its normal and soon you will past this stage and on to the next so quit worrying an clear the mind and get on with it