The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WEEDS IN RING

What kills them....I tried something from Southern States and it killed NOTHING....ridiculous. I did exactly what the directions said....spent 4 hours and a buttload of money on the sprayer and the spray all for NADA. HELP
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    What kills them....I tried something from Southern States and it killed NOTHING....ridiculous. I did exactly what the directions said....spent 4 hours and a buttload of money on the sprayer and the spray all for NADA. HELP
    depends on what the spray was...both 24D and roundup have a week or 10 day kill window

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

See. That’s why the only plants I have thriving are weeds. I have put time & energy into making it look like the weeds are under control, while trying to be green about it & I don’t see results.
    I sleep at night telling my self that they support many beneficial insects and the more weedy the place looks the more balance I obtain in the long run.

SO! Glad I don’t live in a devilment/ development.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

what kind of a surface are you riding on?
    I am very green too and don't use any pesticides.
    I often have weeds early in spring when my sand is wet all the time, but in the dry summer they all die and I just gather them up with the arena drag. Some folks here use a hydrating chemical: mag something? in their sand to keep it from getting too dry and weeds will not grow in the sand/salt mix.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I think my Dad uses to use something called gly-4?/ maybe?? could be wrong on the name. It does take about a week but it works. I would not bother with round up on anything. Its crap. I go to southern states all the time and I know if I were that dissatisfied, they would probably give me my money back or somehow try to take amends. It might be worth a try. Goof luck!

The stuff's called Gly-star I think. I use it & it works better than Roundup. Kills 'em dead. I plan on spraying my nice dressage ring which is not being used enough to keep weed out. I also use it around all my buildings & fence lines.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I won't use anything toxic on my place, not worth the hazerd. (That's my policy because I've heard too many bad things about those toxic chemicals and the greedy company's that make them, monsanto was fined by a Judge for advertising roundup as biodegradable which it is not) weed eater is my method. We have a sthil string trimmer FS88 with optional weed plate and saw blade, it'll do everything from grass to 3 inch saplings. Besides exercise is good for ya. Swingin a weed eater is a lot easier than the old way of swingin a blade.

I used Roundup on my new farm to reclaim an overgrown sand arena. Then 10 days later, I bought a spike harrow and drug it behind my tractor, lifting it up every round or so and raking out the dead weeds. One long afternoon and my ring became soft and lovely again -- it it was a long, hot afternoon! I go over it again every couple of weeks with the spike harrow to keep it level and soft.

My arena was overtaken by weeds. We used a box harrow to pull out what we could. lost a bunch of footing in the process, but it was worth it.

Then, copious amounts of Round up. I know - its an herbicide. But it won't persist in the environment and is very safe to use. Killed the remainder of the weeds (including a horrible, pervasive grass that is miserable to pull).

Now, I pull a few remaining weeds before every ride. Seems to be keeping them out.

Good luck.

I pull mine everytime I am out teaching. Walk-pull-walk-pull-walk-pull. You get the picture Works great for me!!

Hand weeding works best and looks better too. Once you get it under control it is pretty easy to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by reubenT View Post
    I won't use anything toxic on my place, not worth the hazerd. (That's my policy because I've heard too many bad things about those toxic chemicals and the greedy company's that make them, monsanto was fined by a Judge for advertising roundup as biodegradable which it is not) weed eater is my method. We have a sthil string trimmer FS88 with optional weed plate and saw blade, it'll do everything from grass to 3 inch saplings. Besides exercise is good for ya. Swingin a weed eater is a lot easier than the old way of swingin a blade.
    If you leave a woody weed stalk sticking up it can be driven up through a horse's foot and out through the heel. Ask me how I know !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I agree that you may loose too much footing with a box harrow. That is why we chose the spike harrow method.

Mine was way too overgrown to do by hand. Former owners had not de-weeded in several years from the growth. It would have taken 8 hours a way for a month to go over it once. Some machinery had to be involved. Now that it is nice, I pull up any weeds that grow back by hand, usually in the 10 minutes I have to do random barn maintenance while the horses eat in their stalls morning and evening. Pick up bucket of rocks one night, wheelbarrow of weeds from fenceline the next morning, etc. etc. etc. Life on a farm!

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    I think my Dad uses to use something called gly-4?/ maybe?? could be wrong on the name. It does take about a week but it works. I would not bother with round up on anything. Its crap. I go to southern states all the time and I know if I were that dissatisfied, they would probably give me my money back or somehow try to take amends. It might be worth a try. Goof luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    The stuff's called Gly-star I think. I use it & it works better than Roundup. Kills 'em dead. I plan on spraying my nice dressage ring which is not being used enough to keep weed out. I also use it around all my buildings & fence lines.
    Roundup is Glyphosate. As is Gly-star. As is Gly-4
    http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/ag_..._max_label.pdf
    Last edited by Equibrit; Aug. 27, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

just fyi for all

bear in mind that most chemicals the "subdivision" public uses are killing the weeds they come to...most of you here would never even see the other stuff or need to use it...

but they do not kill the seeds in the ground
    and disturbing this seed bed (plowing, disking, dragging) arouses the seeds to start again....which is why roundup works so well with no till planting systems...the seed bed is not disturbed afterward

EOW if you don't have to,don't fiddle with the ground you spray

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    That's what I use. Get it cheap at the feed store. No way am I paying a premium for the stuff in the little containers at Home Depot.

My days of hand pulling weeds are over. I can barely bend over to tie my shoes - screw hand pulling weeds or weed whacking. Not worth two months in traction.

How we deal with weeds in the ring-Drag often

Funny this topic should come up. If you know anyone with a land leveler (?) it will pull them up if they get ahead of you.

Yellow horse salt seems to do an OK job. It becomes a problem here when it is too wet to harrow for days. That is all it takes to grow a fine crop. The salt gets wet and seems to kill them and I feel safe using something they can eat near their feet. Road salt works but I would not want to use it.

I have been told horticulture vinegar works well but I have not tried it.

Just went through this.

Can't imagine trying to pull these weeds by hand.

RoundUp should work fine, but you need to give it a week or more before thinking "this isn't working".

Frequent harrowing or foot traffic should keep the weeds down, too.
    Click here before you buy.