The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Starting to pick stallions for my mare. Suggestions welcome!

I am breeding my Domiro/Palladium mare for the first time next spring. She had a injury as a foal so she is only pasture sound.

I love this mare, if i could have a replica i would take it in a heart beat. She has a stunning head, good conformation, and 3 nice gaits, and she is very active in them all. If I could improve on her, I would give her longer legs, a longer walk, and more knee action. She has good reach but has a bit of a huner-y front end.

Some of the stallions on my list are
    Rascalino
    Londonderry
    Samarant
    and her sires manager suggested Furst Romancier. they recently bred a lovely colt by him out of a Domiro mare.

Anyone have input on my list or suggestions? Any advice is welcome.
    "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

no opinions?

I am not a breeder per say, but I would really consider the breeders recommendation. I really really like Furst Romancier.

I have a mare who moves kind of hunter in front, but is very active in her gaits as well, and I have been looking at Furst Heinrich and sons for her too, so I would look more into them.

Good luck and have fun!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." *Thomas Edison
    A champion is a dreamer that refused to give up!!

What discipline are you breeding for? Dressage? Jumping?
    Sandy in Fla.

Check out Grafenstolz www.grafenstolz.com

or Royaldik on www.frenchstallions.org

Both will give you what you want.

I think Fuerst Romancier is a great suggestion, based on the information provided.

I am breeding for dressage.

i wanted to add, a stronger loin would be nice too.

I have been looking at Furst Romancier offspring and many look very average. They are very nice, but nothing that makes me say, I want a FR baby. I think i might be crossing him off my list.

Rotspon does not give longer legs, and often downsizes the mare. For longer legs and more knee action, look to Sandro Hit and sons. The walk is their weakest gait, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    I think Fuerst Romancier is a great suggestion, based on the information provided.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by faluut42 View Post
    I am breeding for dressage.

i wanted to add, a stronger loin would be nice too.

I have been looking at Furst Romancier offspring and many look very average. They are very nice, but nothing that makes me say, I want a FR baby. I think i might be crossing him off my list.
    I agree. I have watched lots of the foal videos and they were nice, but not spectacular (IMHO). For a F line stallion that does seem to produce fabulous offspring (again, IMHO), what about Fidertanz.

Fabuleaux might be worth a look. If you don't mind dealing with frozen and EVA protocol, maybe Florencio.

Rousseau would be likely to give you a strong loin and more knee, but might not hit some of your other wants.

Londonderry seems like a good pick that you already have. Samarant's my favorite Sandro Hit, but I haven't seen any offspring irl and not many that I can think of even in pics.

I love Freestyle. I have a 2 year old and a 5 month old by him out of a super talented moving mare I wanted to put size on and shorten the back to. I believe he is good at adding size, though refined. Both of my fillies heads are stunning (the mare is beautiful) and all his babies look the same. His gaits are absolutely lovely and fluid, and from the videos I've seen of babies, they are all getting nice movement. They have SUPER, mellow, REALLY easy to deal with temperaments. The bloodlines are fabulous, and he is a great deal in cost, Jennifer is wonderful to deal with, and his semen is super. (Pregnant first try each time--actually twinned the first time, so halved the dose for the second breeding.)

Are you breeding to keep or breeding to sell? If you want to keep the foal then I'd go for a stallion with outstanding trainability such as Breitling W who just happens to be at the top of the German FN rankings for dressage. If you want more refinement you could use one of his sons that are out of a Diego xx mare (she is singlehandedly developing her own stallion dynasty!) there are several of these full brothers such as Bellagio and Baron de Ley who has just done well at the 5yo Bundeschamionat.

Another stallion I'd expect to pass on good temperament and strong loin connection is For Compliment who is by Fidermark and out of a show jumping bred mare. He came 4th at the recent Bundeschampionat.

Personally I'd avoid Sandro Hit. He definitely won't help with the mechanics of a weak back and loin. I'd also look to different stallions for trainability.

If you want something completely different have you looked at Trakehners? There are some superb stallions out there and of course the Trak stallion on a warmblood mare is a hugely successful cross. (Totilas is just one example ) King Arthur is a GP Trak stallion. Le Rouge is another wonderful stallion who has won 3 national riding horse titles in Germany and is competing PSG as an 8yo. I have a filly from his first crop and can vouch for their fantastic rideability. Silvermoon is as proven a dressage producer as it is possible to be. Cadeau, Silvermoon's son, is extremely popular in Germany and is bay in colour and a wonderful mover and producer.

I would second or third the suggestion of the breeder. Fuerst Romancier provided your list of wants to my Holsteiner/xx mare this year. Londonderry, Samarant and Rascalino I would not look towards for improving a"huntery" trot. My colt has super long legs, lots of knee (but so does his dam) good walk and excellent conformation.

Regarding the comment of average foals from Fuerst Romancier. I think like most stallions, it takes awhile to figure out how to breed to a particular stallion. But the from the description you provided of your mare, FR sounds like a very good option.
    Last edited by Crosiadore Farm; Sep. 12, 2010 at 03:30 AM.

I'd say check out Axis, or his son Ballzauber. You should watch for the American Trakehner Association Stallion Service Auction this winter. There are 50-60 top stallions in it this year.

Good luck!
    Representing approved Trakehner stallions Ballzauber and Zauberruf!
    Contact me at TrakehnerBreeder@gmail.com

Fuerst Romancier is a good choice! I have seen the FR / Domiro colt you mentioned and he is quite something!

Hmm..does your mare have blood up close? If so, FR might work, but hard to say as none of his offspring are of riding age yet. I saw him in Germany and loved him, but he is HUGE. Not sure you will get leggier? I bred a mare to him, but she has alot of blood up close. Is the dam of the FR you refer to similiar to your mare?

What about Hotline? Some of the riding age Hotlines look quite nice and she sounds like a mare that might suit, especially with her pretty head.

Maybe Romanov?

My guess is you won't get a better walk from S line, though I am not sure about Samarant in particular?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

2nd Romanov. The best foals I've seen by him are out of D-line mares.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01