The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MTG... on the face?

My mare keeps slamming her head into something and her face keeps getting skinned and she has no fur on some areas on her face.. So I have had a lot of luck with the MTG on tails and mane.. Is it safe to put on the face? I, obviously, wont do it while she still has "raw" skin on her face. But just after to make it less noticeable?
    TIA!

I wouldn't. I had a horrible experience with it, it blistered my horse. I threw it away.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

I also liked it for my mare's tail, until one day I accidentally got it on the skin between her back legs and the skin really blistered.
    Washed her good and tossed it out.

It might burn your horse's face and I don't know if it would help in your situation either...
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I know lots of people use it without a problem, but the smell alone would be a deterent to using it on my horses face!
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorses View Post
    My mare keeps slamming her head into something and her face keeps getting skinned and she has no fur on some areas on her face.. So I have had a lot of luck with the MTG on tails and mane.. Is it safe to put on the face? I, obviously, wont do it while she still has "raw" skin on her face. But just after to make it less noticeable?
    TIA!
    savalon from a checmist is safe to use
    find out in her stable i she has any sharp objects also look at te floor to see if its un even also put deep beds and banked sides to prevent any sores and prevents getting cast also make sure your stable isnt to small or low

MTG acts as an irritant which stimulates hair growth in stubborn, yet healthy areas. Should never be used on sensitive skinned horses, in sensitive areas (the face), on a horse that goes outside (causes severe burn if area is exposed), or on raw areas. Should never be used on damaged or new skin for any reason (ouch!!)

Use something to keep the area healthy to promote healing like silver sulfadiazine (antibacterial burn cream) or ichthammol from a feed store.

Quote Originally Posted by baysngreys View Post
    I wouldn't. I had a horrible experience with it, it blistered my horse. I threw it away.

It made my horse's mane slough off when used as directed. Thumbs down.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorses View Post
    TIA!
    could be sweet-ich my mare gets that on her face so look here
    www.sweet-itch.co.uk
    and use a guardian fly mask when when out and a fly sheet

I've had good results with it on scratches, but I've heard too many negative reports to use it anywhere else but lower legs (and if tail hair has been rubbed out).

I've found the best stuff for sensitive areas is pure lanolin. You can get little jars for 4/5 bucks at ethnic beauty stores.

I love MTG on tails. Count me as one who would NOT use it on a horse's face.

Thanks guys. Yeah, she is on 24/7 turnout so finding the source can be difficult sometimes haha. But I will try the Lanolin.

I've slathered the stuff all over my itchy, NTW infested mare and never, ever had a single problem with it. I do make sure to only apply in the evening as directed, since I live in the hot, sunny south. It has helped with bug bites, mane and tail crud and rubbing. I've but it right on her face, in her ears, and even on her udder to help cut udder crud, and NO PROBLEMS. And this is a horse who breaks out with hives from just about anything. I think you might try a little and see if there's any reaction.

Having said all that, the best solution for all her skin problems has been the NTW equimax/ivermection protocol.

I use Corona on cuts/scrapes/bald spots on face, body, etc. Be sure not to put anything above her eyes that can melt and run into her eyes.

I've used MTG for scratches and rain rot, and it's worked great. (Amazing on the rain rot -- only thing that's ever worked on this horse -- a sensitive skinned OTTB.)
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

second the Corona ointment- I think the base is lanolin, its antiseptic and smells nice. MTG is great for rubbed manes and tails but for a horse turned out 24/7, not a great idea- it is sun sensitizing.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I have used MTG on one horse's face without problem -- he has an area near his forelock that he tends to rub the hair off regularly and it did seem to help it fill in with hair. However, I had tested it on other areas first so I knew he was okay. Another horse that I have totally reacted when I put some on him -- raised welts/hives appeared, so I never used it again on him. Definitely try a test spot first.

A product that I like for encouraging hair regrowth and which my sensitive skin horse does well with is Eqyss Mega-Tek Rebuilder. Haven't had a horse react to it, but again, anything new is worth testing first.