The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking First lesson on my new boy!

Just had my first lesson on my new boy (7 y/o appendix) today, and he was awesome!!! I am sooo happy with him. I'm a beginner, and bought him without having my trainer see him first (I know, not smart, but he was too far away, and we couldn't match schedules), so I was really quite nervous as to what she would think when she saw him go. Well, no problem! Even though he's been here less than a week, he's settled in like he was born there - the barn staff say he's perfect, and our lesson was wonderful! She loved his trot and his temperament, and although he needs work with canter transitions and jumping, he is very willing! After our lesson we went for a trail ride, and once again, he was perfect! I'm so pleased with him, and am looking forward to learning with him!

Good for you and your new boy! Have fun! (Glad your trainer was pleased, too!)

Awe, congrats! I used to have an appendix that I just adored. He had a bombproof temperment and was super talented. Best of luck with your new horse!!

awww, that's great!!! Don't you know you have to post pics of your new boy??!!!!

Here he is - I think he's quite the cutie, but I may be prejudiced!

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...2677_11122677/

Congrats!!! He's gorgeous!

Of course, I'm prejudiced--I got my first Appendix in January of 2008. I always wanted a Quarter horse, and Dancer's proved to be everything they're supposed to be and then some. My trainer was wary about a horse I found on the internet, but he's a gem.

Have fun with your boy!!!

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Congratulations! I'm so glad that it's working out for you. I'm still at the nervous is this the right one stage. My trainer is looking at one for me today. I hope it works out too.

My daughter's first horse, after an angel of a pony, was a 15.2 hand appendix, about half TB and half QH.
    He was a dream, too, steady as a rock but plenty of scope for jumping and galloping.

One tip: Even if they seem more QH in temperament, our guy was like a TB in that he really needed a gentle kind hand both riding and on the ground. (Of course, you could say that about any breed, I suppose!)

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Here he is - I think he's quite the cutie, but I may be prejudiced!

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...2677_11122677/
    He is quite a bit more than a 'cutie'! He is absolutely adorable! What's his name?

Happy riding/trails!
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

@ jnel - good luck with your search! If he hadn't worked out, I was going to give up looking until spring. I am so glad at how well it's going with him...I was sweating it! Let me know how it turns out for you.

@ whoanellie - his name is Shiloh. Though my daughter has been calling him Bacon, because of that blaze and the fact that he is a bit of a porker!!

@FatDinah - my daughter's previous horse was an OTTB that I would try and ride as well...he took care of me, but pretty high strung! Shiloh is much more mellow! He originally came from a ranch in Texas, then was shipped back east and retrained...you can definitely tell the difference OTTB and a cowpony!!