Need help... I am a retired female rider started leasing a grade 11 yr old gelding trained english, western, was in one abusive home in early years for about a yr,,,present owner for past 2 yrs
is 30 yr old female rides him western BUT she is pregnant and not riding.
Help me>>>> I only ride in indoor arena for now... This horse does not listen to the aids, leg pressure, rein pressure,
example, will move forward quietly at a walk, then starts walking sideways,
or will cut across indoor arena, tries to go whereever he wants to go...
I tried a trot and he lays his ears back, will give me a few strides then goes back to his walk that he prefers...I am riding English....if I drop the reins and ride
western style, he will be better, but till wanders not doing straight lines and not going where I want him to go.
He pulled the same stuff on husband and my 20 yr old autisitic kid...I lunged him with son aboard and horse was not cooperative till I picked up and showed him a long whip which he saw and rolled his eyes...was alot better, moved out at the trot , ears forward. He gave my son a better, ride.
So, I know he is disrespectful to me...do I need to try whips and spurs on this guy...what would you do?
I'd get a trainer to come out and help you. If you're having trouble getting him to obey very basic commands, you're better off having a professional help you in person rather than trying to implement advice given from a bunch of strangers on the internet who haven't seen either of you.
What is your riding experience? I will say that probably 90% of the time I see problems like this, it is a rider problem, not a horse problem. And the other 10%, the horse is just spoiled and it's pretty easy to fix.
He sounds like a piece of work... You may have to start from scratch with him and I second CosMonster's advice of getting a trainer involved unless you have trained young horses or rehabilitated other horses before.
At this point you should probably not ride the horse and do groundwork with him. Check out what a lot of trainers do: establishing leadership in the round pen, having the horse really start listening to you and following your command. He must do what you tell him when he's working, everything else is potentially dangerous. He can be a horse all day long but when he is with you, you need to be in charge.
Once you are ready to ride him again, he needs to know he can't just walk all over the place. You want to trot? You ask him once. No reaction? Immediately use the whip. You want to walk in a straight line? Put your leg on! He needs to yield to pressure. However, if he's never learned that, practice it on the ground first. All these are things a trainer can help you with if you are willing to commit to a bit of a process. He won't be fixed quickly as he has probably had a tough life but also never had real human leader... And you may need to take some lessons on a different horse to freshen up your own riding skills.
This is not something you should be dealing with, get a different horse. If the goal is to have a horse for you to enjoy, put your husband and son on for a few safe rides then this animal doesn't fit your needs. You are spending money to have fun and there are plenty of horses who would love to tote you guys around safely and willingly. Riding should be something you look forward to and not dread because its a drama filled battle just to trot around the arena for what ever reason.
I do agree with the other posters to some extent about whether you should be taking this on - exactly the kind of advice I would give, but then not follow myself! I have gotten on supposedly trained horses who are like this after they have had some time off, or were in a rescue situation. Most just needed to get in the habit of working again.
With one in particular, I had to get organized about it. Rather than get into a battle with him about going forward or about following directional, I asked a friend to lunge me. That way, there were reminders of the aids, and after doing this, we went free, and lo and behold, forward was there with just a little leg. It is always easier to ask a horse to turn than to keep them straight, so I would do lots and lots of 90 degree turns, circles, etc. rather than trying to enforce a line before the horse was listening to my leg. I was persistent about what I wanted but not aggressive, and after a few rides, the horse was back in form.
Part of being a horseperson is enjoying the problem-solving aspects. However, the person you are leasing this horse from should be the one to ask - and the one to help you, since there is some history.
Last edited by monicabee; Aug. 30, 2010 at 01:12 PM.
Reason: making sense!