The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Magna boosts Preakness interest and TC prep races

I'll give Magna props for trying to tie their other tracks into the Preakness by offering this mega-bonus. It should garner strong interest into Triple Crown prep races at their tracks. Although its not as simple as winning the Santa Anita Derby and the Preakness

DRF 08-27-10 "Preakness offers a $5 million bonus for Magna prep winners"

The winner of the 2011 Preakness Stakes, to run May 21 at Pimlico Race Course in Maryland, will earn a $5 million bonus if the horse has also won a series of Triple Crown prep races at tracks also owned by Pimlico’s parent company, MI Developments, the company announced on Friday.
    The three possible combinations that make a horse eligible for the $5M bonus:

◗ At Gulfstream Park in Florida, a horse will be eligible for the bonus if he wins either the Grade 3 Holy Bull Stakes or the Grade 2 Fountain of Youth and then wins the Grade 1 Florida Derby, to be run on April 3 next year, five weeks before the Derby. This year, the Florida Derby was run six weeks before the Kentucky Derby, and the Florida Derby winner, Ice Box, trained up to the Kentucky Derby without making another start.

◗ At Santa Anita Park in Southern California, a horse will be eligible if he wins either the Grade 2 Robert E. Lewis or the Grade 2 San Felipe and then the Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby, to be run either April 2 or April 9 next year.

◗ At Golden Gate Fields, a horse will be eligible if he wins the Grade 3 El Camino Real Derby and then goes to Santa Anita and wins the Santa Anita Derby.
    Additionally extra money must've been found under the matress: the Florida Derby purse for 2011 will be bumped up the $1M as will the 2011 Santa Anita Derby.

To be honest the $5M bonus doesn't seem that much of a stretch with it being achievable. Winning the Fountain of Youth, Florida Derby and Preakness should be do-able for very good horse and not necessarily having to be Spectacular Bid. Although Bid did win all three

While I do think its a great idea as a MD horseman it kind of irks me that they can come up with that kind of cash for the out of towners but leave us to starve.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    While I do think its a great idea as a MD horseman it kind of irks me that they can come up with that kind of cash for the out of towners but leave us to starve.
    I believe the bonus will be based upon an insurance policy so the actual money required by Magna is a fraction of what you might think it is. As an aside I've always scratched my head wondering why no MD track has a graded stakes prep race for the TC chase.