The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Indiana auction report

I went to the Saturday auction at an Indiana salebarn. Here are the prices of all the horses and any info I wrote down for reference.

7yo TB mare rode western $200 killer
    36" paint pony rode western $240
    Appy gelding 9yo rode $525
    3yo paint stud half arab wild not broke $50 Killer
    5yo chestnut mare rode founder $220

2003 ottb 2 starts papers lots of jewlery sunday silence $475 bought by barrel racer Registered as "Holden Silence"

2006 ottb horrible conformation had papers lots of jewlery sunday silence horse $160 Killer

Nice roan gelding good lope 13yo $420

12yo paint gelding rode No Sale

2yo paint under saddle mare $110 Killer

Appendix yearling gelding $50 Killer

7yo pony mare rode $275 got home

Chestnut 11yo TW gelding rode UGLY bidding war $575!!

2yo broke to trail ride rode $150 No Sale

18yo chest gelding broke $430

10yo QH broke $410

5yo paint mare single footer rode $410

Rose grey gelding 2007 registered as palomino but color change on papers $470 (breeder bought all palomino horses)

Palomino gelding rode 1998 $575

TW 9y0 mare not broke $250

QH yearling $150 killer

TB yearling horrible knee injury, broken and didn't get set? Owner trying to hide knee and hold up colt, sound at walk. Sunday Silence $50 Killer (same person brought all of the sunday silence horses)

Yearling Filly $50 Killer

Palomino mare rode 2007 $660 nice mare good bloodlines

10yo App mare rode $185 Killer
    6yo chestnut gelding rode $325

HACKNEY PONY - mane and forelock roached, shod on all four, tail bobbed. Parked out on lead rope, trotted above level in hand, broke to drive a 4wheel cart. Nice conformation, well mannered. Dealer said he gets lots from the breeder who dumps anything that doesn't win "at World" breeder didn't send papers $80. Think he went to a home

4yo mule broke to ride $210 got home

8yo gelding rode $200 killer

Bay 10yo gelding rode $320 home

4yo black pony mare rode $100 No Sale

6yo paint mare single footed not broke $300 home

Roan Mare "lost papers" NICE head and shoulder, very pretty, dealer seemed afraid when he turned her loose not broke spot on eye $225 killer

Black yearling filly not halter broke $40 killer (same owner, all had papers)

pony gelding 4yo not halter broke $75 killer

bay yearling filly not halter broke $20 killer

bay yearling filly not halter broke $20 killer

bay 5yo mare $200 killer

Bay 4yo TB mare, mane braided, said broke to WT but not rode very nice conformation. really nice horse. Said had papers but needed to get them, never raced, no tattoo. $175 killer

Bay mare $75 killer

17 plus hand bay ottb, didn't run through sale.
    paint with puncture injury, didn't run through sale.
    percheron TB cross, didn't run through sale.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Aug. 29, 2010 at 09:06 AM.

what's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Sounds like prices are a little higher around here. Thanks for the update.

My point is to inform people of what's around in my area and how much they are going for. I'm not sure why you have a problem with that.

Yes, I was surprised at the prices. There were some nicer horses then usual, they had papers, were under saddle, hay prices are down and the weather is nice. Solid well broke trail horses sell well in my area. So do paints, and anything gaited. Anything not under saddle, papers or not does not. Neither do TBs, was surprised the one TB sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    what's your point?

I'm guessing to share information on the auction market. What's your point to post what you posted?

Thanks for the update OP.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Anytime someone gets on this board babbling about breeding to make money, a post like this is an excellent wakeup call about where unhandled babies end up, really. And that you don't want a horse you care about to go to auction.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Since you are posting this thread to be informational, I'm sure you won't mind giving some clarification.

Sunday Silence? He spent his entire stud career in Japan and the only 2 sons I know of anyway are Silent Name and Hat Trick. They both entered stud in 2008 so who are the Sunday Silence horses?

Could you be talking about Sunday Break perhaps?

Yes, I looked him up as well and noticed he was in Japan.

I did some googling and I found some TBs with Sunday Silence as their grandsire in Colorado which fits the arapaho park shirts. Also found a TB for sale in Indiana orginally from CO with the same grandsire. Also found the owner of one with the last name of "holden" which fits the name I heard of "hold in silence" which seems to be "holden silence" who had 6 starts in colorado and kentucky earning $175 and eventually making it to the rushville salebarn. My guess is that the owner/trainer brought them all to Indiana from Colorado.

He was bought for $475 by someone who wants to barrel race him.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Aug. 29, 2010 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Yes, I was surprised at the prices. There were some nicer horses then usual, they had papers, were under saddle, hay prices are down and the weather is nice. Solid well broke trail horses sell well in my area. So do paints, and anything gaited. Anything not under saddle, papers or not does not. Neither do TBs, was surprised the one TB sold.
    The weather may be nice now, but winter is right around the corner. Horses sell for the most in the early/mid spring when camps need horses and people are looking for sale projects. Prices in the late summer/fall drop.

Those prices for this time of year and the horses you describe do not surprise me at all, but I am also used to going to New Holland. I used to travel with a horse dealer there all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    My point is to inform people of what's around in my area and how much they are going for. I'm not sure why you have a problem with that.

Well, now your list makes sense. I read through it but it really did not hold any valuable info for me. But a little background info goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaundry View Post
    I'm guessing to share information on the auction market. What's your point to post what you posted?

Thanks for the update OP.
    I am sorry, but skeleton type info has not a lot of value to me so will forgive me that I was a bit puzzled. And as my Momma always said if you want to know you have to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Here's Holden Silence.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

It is Sunday Silence but a pretty obscure branch off the tree. It doesn't surprise me these horses aren't in demand.

Yes, that is one of the TBs that sold last night, as well as 2 of his siblings.

Was this the sale Rushville was advertising on craigslist?

Dale Haley runs his regular auction at Rushville on Tuesdays. I imagine the Tuesday prices will be even lower.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Yes, that is the sale. The Tuesday prices are much lower and I think there are more grade horses. The saturday sales attract more people for higher prices. Remember that strawtown and newcastle are also really close and run regular sales as well.

Dale runs bucking stock as well. He's always willing to sell his feedlot horses after the sale for a profit.

Well, if we want to analyze--broke to ride walkers and older horses have a market, the young, unbroken, and ugly injuries don't have much value.

And breeders pick up color. How many offspring of the palominos the breeder picked up are going to produce horses who end up back in the sale pen.

ETR

Can you tell me if they required all sellers to fill out the EID?

Doubtful.

Often horses are brought in by dealers or transport people. They only transport the horse and know little to nothing about it.

does that rule apply to all horses slaughtered or only those for human consumption?

For human consumption.

If they are not requiring to have sellers fill out the EID, Dale Haley is in violation if any of those horses get sent to Canada.

Yes I had a run in with that man years ago. Not pretty, LOL.

I believe they go to mexico, and if they aren't intended for human consumption it doesn't really matter then. Even if the auction requires the people bringing in horses to fill out an EID there is nothing stopping anyone from lying about it. Especially the people who are just transporting horses.

Dale runs a business which he makes money from. He will not bid against someone purchasing a horse that he would otherwise send to slaughter and he always is wiling to haggle on anything on his lot if he purchases it first. We go to the sale often, and friends have purchased horses several times with varying results.