The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Default Offshoot: Oral Magnesium sulfate and other supplement ingredients

I was reading the thread about IV Magnesium sulfate and read that Magnesium sulfate was a calming substance, which I did not know.

I was hoping that the posters here who are in the medical field can answer my questions about other ingredients in supplements.

Quick history: My 20 OTTB is currently on Doxycyclien (sp?) for Lyme disease. He is about 30 days into the 45 day treatment. I started him on an all-in-one supplement to booster immune system and help with digestion as well as coat and hoof and joint. He does not get, nor ever has, any supplements or medical treatments as my vet and I feel he is healthy and sound and pain free.

I put him on this supplement as a trial to see if there would be a difference in his performance. Mostly for the immune/digestions factor. I started it about 2 weeks ago. The only difference I see is that the "spark" that he had last year and over the winter is still not there. This is his second bout with Lyme, the last time he was back to firing on all 8 cylinders in 14 days of being on the antibiotics. That was 5 years ago. This time he is just ....blah. He still has ears pricked and is willing to go and do what we always do. But that "spark" is just not there. It is like riding a machine. Like he is just not into it. I have had him 12 years and this is the first time I feel that "just not into it" feeling. Not even trail makes him happy. And about 3 months ago I took him out for a trail ride and he was marching down that trail a very happy horse.

It could be the antibiotics are making him feel blah. It could be the supplement.

Please look at the ingredient list below and tell me what you think.
    Thank you again!

Product Facts: Recommended to help support healthy joints, digestive system, hooves and skin, healthy hydration and blood parameters in the horse.

Active ingredients per 2 scoops (75g): Glucosamine HCl 5000mg, Sodium hyaluronate 100mg, Ascorbic acid 1000mg, MSM 2000mg, Omega 3 fatty acids 3560mg, Omega 6 fatty acids 2410mg, Yucca 100mg, Niacinamide 300mg, Turmeric 85mg, Slippery elm 67mg, Aloe vera 130mg, Sodium chloride 14580mg, Potassium chloride 9100mg, Cabbage 990mg, Ascorbyl palmitate 35mg, Iron sulfate 1870mg, Thiamine mononitrate 140mg, Riboflavin 140mg, Biotin 15mg, Methionine 130mg, Pyridoxine HCl 42mg, Cyanocobalamin 160mcg, Bromelain 14mg, Grapeseed extract 32mg,
    Calcium pantothenate 300mg, Folic acid 20mg, Zinc gluconate 8mg, Vitamin A 12350IU, Vitamin E 100IU.

Inactive Ingredients: Flax seed meal, Wheat germ oil, Olive oil, Gelatin, Honey powder, Glucose, Fructose, Brewers yeast, Licorice powder, Carrot powder, Cinnamon powder, Anthemis nobilis powder, Calcium carbonate, Magnesium sulfate, Calcium lactate, Zinc sulfate, Manganese sulfate, Cobalt sulfate, Copper sulfate, Apple pectin, Magnesium phosphate, Xanthan gum, Citric acid, Lecithin, Silicon dioxide, Potassium sorbate.

Directions for use: For a 1000lb horse, give 2 scoops (75g) once daily. 2 scoops=75g=106cc’s. A 53cc scoop is enclosed
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

it doesn't seem like enough magnesium or b vites to make him feel lethargic to me. i doubt it's your supplement given everything else that is going on. the antibiotics may be taking a toll - it may also be the lymes. i've read of more than one horse that reacted to lymes treatment differently the second time around. i'm sorry to you - that is very frustrating.

as a side note, though i doubt it's the source of his feeling so blah given that he's battling lymes and on antibiotics, however - a few people i really really trust nutrition wise are NOT fans of flax. i have an article about why it's not a great supplement to feed - i realize it's a little against popular belief given how many supps use flax currently, but the fact is it's toxic and needs to be altered greatly to be edible for humans or equines. ancient cultures didn't eat it -they used it to make clothing.

I don't think it has enough of anything to do much of anything. However, you should not feed 'cyclines with magnesium, it can cause absorption issues.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.