The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hoof Boots

What is your favorite brand of hoof boots for a lost shoe and why?

I've been looking into getting the Cavallo Simple Boots for trail rides. My horse is otherwise barefoot. Everywhere I look this boot gets great reviews and I like that it's so easy to put on and take off.

I have the Cavallo Simple Boots, have W/T/C and jumped with my OTTB in them and they're great, they stay put and no rubs at all, even withut the gaitors. He moves the same in the Cavallos as he did when shod. (Unfortunately my doofus horse clipped the back of his heel/pastern in turnout last week, and the boots do interfere with the scab, so no boots for a while.)
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

End of weekend bump... Anyone else? 2 votes for Cavallo's. LOL

Renegade Hoof Boots all the way. Easy on, they stay, the fit a lot of horses due to their adjustability (and the come in wild colours)
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Renegade Hoof Boots all the way. Easy on, they stay, the fit a lot of horses due to their adjustability (and the come in wild colours)
    Agree!

So 2 votes for Cavallo Simple Boots and 2 votes for Renegade Hoof Boots.

Any more suggestions?

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

If you only want a boot as an 'emergency repair/spare tire' then you do't need any of the proffered boots. Something much simpler will suffice.

Something along the lines of

http://www.plumshadefarm.com/hoofix_...trail_boot.asp

http://www.castleplastics.com/hoofboots.htm

Rick,

Can those be used for turnout? I know they said riding, etc. but doesn't look like they would hold up for turnout.

Thanks!

Make it three votes for Cavallo boots.

The reason? Velcro is your friend!!!!
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

Any comments on sizing with the Cavallos? Looking for something for a small Arab, with smallish feet, for trail riding once or twice a week during the good weather months.

Adding my vote for Cavallo Simple Boots. Turned my horse out for 2 weeks in them right after purchasing and no rubs at all.

Size wise just follow the instructions for measuring. My paint wears size 3 simple boot and I think he was in a size 0 metal shoe when he was shod.

The best boots are those that fit your horse's foot.

I wanted to use Cavallo's for my TB tub her feet were more oval and the boots fit the length of her foot but were way too wide. They looked like clown shoes! We ended up with Boa's from Easy boot and I like them even though they don't have velcro. But they are easy to put on and off.

Take a hoof tracing of your horse's feet before making a decision. I think the Easy boot site has "footprints" of all their boots; at least you have somewhere to start.

So the good 'ole trial and error method? LOL

I want to keep it somewhat simple for me... I'm not that talented when it comes to "gadgets" and some of the hoof boots kinda scare me with all the doo-dads.

And they wouldn't be for all the time. Just when my guy loses a shoe or has to have one pulled, etc... this way he isn't locked in for a days until the farrier can get there (always seems to happen on a Friday). And he can't go out w/o shoes or something to protect him.

Ohh great thread. My one mare needs boots and her feet are a strange shape. Any suggestions for feet that are a bit wider than they are long?

I've been using Old Mac's for three or four years now. I've been very happy with the fit and performance. Not all boots can be used for turn out but the Old Mac's can which I was very happy about when my horse had an abcess last year. He also has one clubbed foot so that limits the choices I have quite a bit. No matter which style of boot you ultimately choose fit is most important. Most people who have problems with hoof boots do so because of poor fit.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    The best boots are those that fit your horse's foot.

I wanted to use Cavallo's for my TB tub her feet were more oval and the boots fit the length of her foot but were way too wide. They looked like clown shoes! We ended up with Boa's from Easy boot and I like them even though they don't have velcro. But they are easy to put on and off.

Take a hoof tracing of your horse's feet before making a decision. I think the Easy boot site has "footprints" of all their boots; at least you have somewhere to start.
    The Cavallo Sport Boots are more oval than their Simple Boots; I believe they are 1/4" narrower across the width.

I bought a pair of the Sports for my OTTB-- his hooves measured narrower than they were long-- and I had my farrier check the fit of both the Sports and the Simples (a pair on loan frim a friend). He felt that the Simples fit better, so I went with that.

I find that the outer velcro straps sometimes come undone if we're in particularly crappy (thick, muddy) terrain, but the outer straps aren't the primary closure; there are two other velcro layers keeping things in place. The times that the straps have come loose, the boots have still stayed firmly in place without them.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

My guys feet are narrower in width than length but not by much. But the Simples did say that was needed. If the width was more than the length, they wouldn't work.

I did order a pair of the Cavallo Simples. Will see if they work out.

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments.

Default CAVALLOS!

I have always tried to keep my horses barefoot and with the trails in my area being really rocky I have tried a number of hoof boots on the market. 3 years ago I switched from Easyboots to Cavallo Simple boots and I LOVE THEM! SO easy to use, the most durable, and I have never had to repair or replace a boot like I felt I was having to do often with other brands. I have had the last pair of Simple boots for my mare going on 4 years now! I bought a new pair of Sport boots for my gelding who has slightly narrower feet and I have noticed a huge improvement in the way he moves. They make my horses more comfortable and my life alot easier!

Default Cavallos for Me!

Cavallos definitely won me over (previously used Easy Boots). I use the Simple Boots for two of my mares (both have round front feet). For my gelding, his feet are narrower, I got the Sports for both the fronts and hinds (use the hinds for this guy on gravely dirt roads and rocky trails). This weekend, went through water and mud. No lost boots!