The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Co Owning a trailer

I have wanted a trailer for awhile. I have SUV that can tow a 2horse BP. I know someone who has a few horses and would like a trailer also.

So I though we could maybe go together and by a used one. We can work it different ways. Either each pay 1/2 on trailer or 1 provide tow vehicle/storage and 1 provide trailer.

Anyone done this? How did it work?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I've never done this and, honestly, would never want to. What happens if the other person wants to go somewhere without you? Do you let them use your vehicle? One person will inevitably end up using it more than the other, which may create disputes about maintenance costs. And what if someone damages the trailer? Or your vehicle?

I'm not a very good "sharer" in general, but particularly not when it's a big ticket item like a trailer. My truck and trailer are kept on another person's property-- everything is locked up because I don't even want people peeking in my doors/opening things up.

Who knows, maybe the situation could work. I just see the potential for far too many things to go wrong. Could you look into financing a trailer for yourself?
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

People co-own airplanes all the time, so I think it could work. It just takes some planning, cooperation and courtesy. And a well-written agreement between the partners. But honestly, I bet more private airplanes are co-owned between partners than solely-owned.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    People co-own airplanes all the time, so I think it could work. It just takes some planning, cooperation and courtesy. And a well-written agreement between the partners. But honestly, I bet more private airplanes are co-owned between partners than solely-owned.
    Yeah, but we're not talking millions of dollars here. We're talking about what could be a $2k horse trailer. Or less than that!

For me, that is wayyyy not enough of a deal (ie, saving $1,000) to bother with the hassle of sharing. Yes, I flunked that part of kindergarten, but seriously, there are a lot of ways that it could go wrong, some of which have already been mentioned:

1) Two locations, one day. Clearly the person with the SUV would win out, but that's not really fair to the person who owns the other half of the trailer.

2) You're willing to let them borrow your vehicle? Uh oh, better look into rising insurance costs. (Or be royally screwed if something happens while they're driving it, if you decide to go without.)

3) What if something bad happens to it while it's out with someone? (Ie, someone backs into it with a car, but doesn't leave a note.) Yes, the person using it at that point should pay, but it's really not their fault, so....maybe they don't want to.

4) What if they take someone else's horse out in the trailer with them?! That opens up a whole 'nother boatload of issues....and just because you make a "no outsides in the trailer" rule, doesn't mean it's going to be followed.

Ick, there are just so many things that could go wrong, it just doesn't seem particularly worth it, ESPECIALLY if you and the other party aren't particularly close. (Ie, best friends since 1st grade, relatives) Just spend the couple thousand on a trailer for yourself, and trailer them places if you want.

I suppose I could see sharing a trailer, but not the tow vehicle. If you really wanted to do it, I'd each get a tow vehicle.

Personally, I don't think the hassle is worth it. You would have to be COMPLETELY comfortable with how the other person drives/tows/maintains both, who you trailer, where you go and what the schedule is.

There are all kinds of liability issues around trailering and in my own experience, I'm not altogether happy with the way that other people haul.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Check with your insurance co. about this...they might be more than helpful with you there.
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

As with all things where sharing is involved, it could work, but there are a million ways it could go VERY, VERY wrong.

It would be like co-owning a boat or an airplane. It can work, but it can also lead to disagreements up and and including homocide (and I'm not making this up).

If you want to do it then sit down with the other person and a yellow pad and pencil and work out your contract. It doesn't have to be something from a Philadelphia Lawyer but must address who gets to do what, when. And who pays what, when. The way the discussions go, themselves, will tell you if the other person and their needs are compatible with you and your needs.

G.

It maybe better to just buy a cheaper trailer?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker