The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much does your vet cost to breed with frozen?

On average how much does it cost you to breed your mare with frozen (vet bills only) per cycle? Im talking about a typical frozen breeding, no big problems, mare not holding onto a follicle?
    "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

My bill for the mare being at the vet's place and getting bred was about $1200, that included boarding, ultra sounds, insemination, ect. If you go to the website: http://www.horse-repro.com/ it lists what he charges. But this all depends on where you are and what your vet charges...best bet would be to contact your vet and ask what they charge.
    Grassfield Sport Horses, LLC

Follow us on facebook!!!

This year, my bills averaged about $1000 per cycle. Three were $1100+, one was just $800 (quick ovulation) and three about $900 each. Spent extra to buy regumate, plus costs of my at-home vet checks, pre-breeding, and checking for pregnancies, which is $65 call-fee and $55 per ultrasound.
    I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Mine run between $500 and $800, depending on how many ultrasounds are required. They are usually closer to $500.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I think mine average around $1000 but that includes board for at least a week (a few days pre and post insemination). I think the least I have paid was $500.

Mine usually run anywhere from $800-$1200.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

We charge $350/cycle plus board at $10/day for a dry mare and $15./day for a mare with a foal. This year, we had a 87% first cycle conception rate with frozen semen and we use one insemination dose/breeding. So, if the mare owner brings the mare to us when she's first coming into estrus and leaves her here until she's checked in foal, typically their bill is around $550.00 - that, btw, includes all ultrasounds, oxytocin and preg checks.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    We charge $350/cycle plus board at $10/day for a dry mare and $15./day for a mare with a foal. This year, we had a 87% first cycle conception rate with frozen semen and we use one insemination dose/breeding. So, if the mare owner brings the mare to us when she's first coming into estrus and leaves her here until she's checked in foal, typically their bill is around $550.00 - that, btw, includes all ultrasounds, oxytocin and preg checks.
    Sighhh, I wish you weren't so far from me. I would send my mares to you in the spring and pick them up about now, happily in foal.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Sighhh, I wish you weren't so far from me. I would send my mares to you in the spring and pick them up about now, happily in foal.
    <lol>...Well, FWIW, we actually have several mare owners that actually "do" send their mares to us from quite a distance. They figure it's cheaper in the long run.

Mine ran $767 and that included some vaccinations. She caught first try.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

We charge $350/cycle, plus mare care ($10/day dry, $13/day wet). Our breeding clients are generally people who ship their mares to us b/c they don't have a repro vet in their area, or b/c our prices are very competitive.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I bred my Corland mare with frozen semen last year. My calculations include everything from farm calls, to ultrasounds and inseminations, as well as injections (we used estrumate, oxytocin, then Dormosedan for insemination since she was a maiden, and Deslorelin).

$539 and she was confirmed in foal 2 weeks later.

My vet is very expensive. I use him becaue he is a repro expert, and he is 10 for 10 with breeding my mares. Mind you I do some things myself, like all of the injections so he doesn't need to make extra trips to my barn. I also keep her here, at home, so I don't have to pay board.

Not a thing. My wife took a frozen semen course (weekend) at Colorado State. In two seasons, only one mare out of about 15 hasn't taken on the first try. Only thing we ever have the vet out for is ultrasounds and preg checks.

Default vet bills

We send our mares out and make sure they are in foal by the time they come home we have spent on average 4,500 to 6,000 a mare. It is a lot but we have used local vets and spent more to have nothing. I would like to take some classes and start doing it myself but in the mean time I am happy to see my young ones every spring
    Saddle Brook Farm
    Breeding Performance
    http://www.hunterjumperprospects.com

Equine Reproduction and HillsideH -- 350 is an amazing price per cycle! How often do you ultrasound? Does this include any hormonal manipulation as well? And insemination(s)? It is a lot of work to do for $350!

Quote Originally Posted by arizonard View Post
    Equine Reproduction and HillsideH -- 350 is an amazing price per cycle! How often do you ultrasound? Does this include any hormonal manipulation as well? And insemination(s)? It is a lot of work to do for $350!
    For us that price includes prostaglandin, hcg and oxytocin. If deslorelin needs to be included instead then that is charged in addition to the per cycle fee, as it is quite a bit more costly than hcg. When the mare is close to ovulation then we will ultrasound at least every 6 hours, but often it becomes every 2 or 3 hours if we feel that we are very close. We are obviously trying to inseminate as close as possible to ovulation. The insemination is also included in that price. Other things that might not be included, though, are if the mare needs a culture/biopsy prior to breeding, any treatments for infection or fluid issues (i.e. lavages), a Caslick and those sorts of things. For fresh-cooled it goes to $250/cycle. Mare care is, of course, in addition!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by arizonard View Post
    EXACTLY what she said <lol>.

Hillside H Farm said:
    For us that price includes prostaglandin, hcg and oxytocin. If deslorelin needs to be included instead then that is charged in addition to the per cycle fee, as it is quite a bit more costly than hcg. When the mare is close to ovulation then we will ultrasound at least every 6 hours, but often it becomes every 2 or 3 hours if we feel that we are very close. We are obviously trying to inseminate as close as possible to ovulation. The insemination is also included in that price. Other things that might not be included, though, are if the mare needs a culture/biopsy prior to breeding, any treatments for infection or fluid issues (i.e. lavages), a Caslick and those sorts of things. For fresh-cooled it goes to $250/cycle. Mare care is, of course, in addition!

$350-650 per cycle, depends on the mare. Board and drugs extra.

How much extra? Who do you use?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Equine Repro. Concepts in Amissville, VA is $350 with timed protocol, and $450 with unlimited ultrasounds and teasing. Great deal. I went with $450 to make sure my Calando I mare caught with the Connor (limited supply), added mare care(with Cassiano foal at side) and it came to $850. Pregnancy on first round....priceless.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

I calculate $1000 per mare. My vet is great, they get pregnant first try, or flush embryos about 4/5 times.
    The flush charges dont count in that.
    Transport and board included.

I have gone local for cooled semen, figuring, hey, no frozen- should be fine.
    have spent1500$ on mares only to have to send them to the repro clinic afterall.