The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leaving soon to be a WS!!!!

I am really majorly unbelievably excited about this, hence posting on here I don't have anyone here to share my excitement with so it's all going here!
    I'm leaving on Monday to be a working student for the next few months!!!!!
    I'm going to Western Washington for a month to work for an UL Rider and then I'm going to Southern California to train for a BNR/T for...well the exact length of time is currently unknown
    But I'm sosososososososo excited to be going! Any advice for me?
    At Barn A, I believe it's more casual dress but I'm going to wear breeches, polo, and boots every day-I want to look as professional as possible. And I will be riding, grooming, tacking up, helping with lessons, feeding, etc. No stall cleaning or turnout at this barn, there's apparently two guys hired already to do that
    Then Barn B! The BNR requires all students look extremely professional so I'll be wearing tall boots/Dubarrys, polo shirt, hair in helmet when riding, breeches with a belt (problem here...I only have 1 pair of breeches with belt loop. And no tack stores nearby. Uh oh), tall boots, and just generally looking clean and tidy I don't think I'll be feeding/cleaning/turning out at this barn either, pretty sure there's guys they hire for that.
    So any advice for me? And any advice on the breeches situation? lol...I'm a little worried about figuring that one out. I was going to order some online but my parents didn't get onboard that one quickly enough for me to get them ordered :/
    Oh and I'm 16 just fyi
    And now I just have to let out some of my other excitement...so I wasn't even planning on being able to watch the CCI*** at Galway Downs and now I'll be in the vet box, grooming for at least 1 *** horse, and DEFINITELY watching some of it...from the vet box. SO EXCITED!!!!
    Thank you!!!
    Last edited by PuraVidaEventing; Aug. 28, 2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: forgot to add info

No advice, you seem to have it all under control but HAVE FUN!!! I LOVE your excitement!!!

(if your breeches are made to have no belt then don't sweat it)
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

HaveHeart819 Guest

Have fun, you'll learn so much. I was a working student this last summer and I have come so far and just the last few months. Prepare to be very tired at night; on my days off, all I did was sleep. haha. Make sure you take every oppurtunity to do something. It always turns out to be rewarding. Ask questions, but only once.

Prepare for early mornings and long days without a break. But when you go home, you'll find out you know so much more than when you left. =)

Maybe I'll see you in the vet box at Galway. I'm usually helping out in there and will also be riding. =)

What an exciting time for you! I hope that you enjoy it and soak it in!

Regarding the britches: If you can't order them before you go to Barn A, see if you can get them WHILE you are there. Maybe you could mail order them and have them sent there or you could volunteer to go do a supply run at a local tack store (if you can drive). I would suggest that you have the breeches with a belt loop for Barn B because they really DO look a lot more professional and they are worth the investment. There are some really nice Ariat breeches that might suit and aren't too expensive but are still high quality (well made, not too thin or too stretchy, can be used for clinics and LL competitions too).

On the same not as the breeches: I would be conservative in your color choices (breeches, gloves, saddle pads, polos/boots, etc.) given your description of these WS programs. The exceptions: your polo shirts and x-c helmet cover.

Regarding boots: While I think that it is a great idea to wear your boots if you want to, I would bring you half chaps along as well for 2 reasons: You will probably destroy your boots by the end of these 2 WS positions and you will want them if it is REALLY muddy, etc. If these are the same boots that you plan to compete in, you may want to be careful about abusing them too badly. However, I would just play this a bit by ear: see what the other WS's wear and what the trainer wears.

All the best to you!! I hope it is a great experience for you.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll be ordering breeches and having them shipped to the farm or have them shipped to my house and have my dad bring them when he comes to take me down to California And of course I can probably just drive to a tack shop if I get the chance and buy some there. I am VERY conservative in color choices so that'll be no problem for me, I have all navy, black, white, with 1 dark red polo. Nothing bright or tacky
    Re the tall boots, I will probably end up using paddock boots and half chaps to ride in at the first barn and then use my tall boots at the second barn where they're required. Luckily they're not my nice ones, I bought a cheaper pair a few months ago anticipating this and broke them in so they're nice and broken in now and I won't be screwed at a show
    Also I've groomed for the really BNT before so I know that it'll be a lot of work, a lot of anticipating what she'll be asking me to do before she asks and then doing it as well as I can, and doing as much extra as I can. I also know I'll be learning more than I can even imagine
    HaveHeart819 Hopefully I'll see you! I will definitely be in the vet box and I'll be riding too

I was a WS for some eventers in Southern NJ. And my only advice is, don't give up! It's going to be one of the toughest things you'll ever do - but one of the most rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonTea View Post
    I was a WS for some eventers in Southern NJ. And my only advice is, don't give up! It's going to be one of the toughest things you'll ever do - but one of the most rewarding.
    I really agree with DragonTea. Not to scare you, send negative vibes your way or anything, but you will be very tired when you start out. Even though your probably not doing the "grunt" work you'll be just as tired, and it will make it that more easy to give up. I know, I've been there, even though I was doing it on a smaller scale (in terms of # of horses ridden, groomed, warmed up, cooled down, etc).
    Make sure your boots are comfy, because you will be living in them. I also suggest you get some smart wool socks (they are the best thing since sliced bread!), you feet will thank you. Sock up on hair nets, you can find them at Wally-World cheap and they work just as well. Also pick up some nice baseball caps from events (or where ever), they are extremely handy for after riding
    Just remember to keep your head up, that you have been given this once in a lifetime opportunity for a reason, so you have no reason to doubt yourself. These BNR dont just let anyone come and be a WS Also have fun and keep us posted!

Also if you don't want to have to run out and buy new breeches you could pretty easily sew belt loops onto your existing breeches.

Quote Originally Posted by PuraVidaEventing View Post
    I'm leaving on Monday to be a working student for the next few months!!!!!

Oh and I'm 16 just fyi

Most 16 year olds are still in high school. Did you graduate early?

What a wonderful adventure you will be on!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

? Isn't school starting back-up?

Just randomly saw this and realized I didn't answer some questions lol. I'm going to school online. So far (3 weeks in) I have been surprisingly not tired! I ride 3-5 horses per day, get at least 1 or 2 lessons a day, paint jumps, build jumps, shovel gravel (dont ask...) dig water jumps with a shovel (again...don't ask), blanket, etc. It's amazing and I'm learning so much!