The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Place to Move (horses) -- Huntsville, AL

The Clock is ticking-- time to make a serious decision :0 I have been selected to be interviewed for a promotion in Huntsville. Both Hubby and I decided we won't visit the area till I made it to the final 3. Well that happened.

So, we need to plan a trip to Huntsville by mid-September. I spoke a real estate agent, have listings of some homes/small farms.

Need to find places to board my horses and would like to go and look at facilities when I go down in mid-September.

PLEASE -- any suggestions is greatly appreciated Lower level event rider, also do some dressage.

Also, any suggestions of where to go, what areas to look at, towns to live in. I do like rolling hills, views, rural is great. Need to commute to Redstone. Thanks!

Hey you are moving to my hometown!!! I just moved to Germany from there in March. So, here is a list of barns and their specialties. They are scattered around HSV area.

www.cottonmeadowsfarm.com My top pick; owned by one of my best buds; she has ridden upper level dressage/eventing. Best facility in N. AL. Don't know if she has any openings, though.

www.redhorseridge.com Next top pick; Mostly a dressage barn but there are a couple eventers there. Has an upper level dressage trainer. Complete other side of HSV but both very drive-able to the Arsenal.

www.flintridgefarm.com and www.steelprizestables.com Facilities not as nice IMHO. Flint Ridge is near Red Horse and Steel Prize is absolute closest to the Arsenal but turnout sucks there. Both of these are dressage-type but cater more towards beginning riders and lesson horses.

Check out TVDA.org which is the local website for other barns and such.

Towns to live in: If I were buying a house or renting then I would look in the Harvest/Monrovia area. I think you need to pick a barn first and then choose where you want to live. Me personally, my horse lived at Cotton Meadows which is in Elkmont (Northwest of HSV) so I would want to live in the Harvest/Monrovia/Tony area which is North/Northwest using the Arsenal as a center point. Madison is expensive. The other side of HSV on the east seems too far away from anything to me (that's where Flint Ridge and Red Horse are though...). So... Barn first- Then house! But of course those are my priorities =) Have somewhere nice to ride first and then find somewhere nice to live... hahaha

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about HSV. I lived there my whole life up until this year
    Last edited by n2dressage; Aug. 28, 2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Added places to live

Thank You so much! I have thinking about Huntsville since early spring. Now I have to really make visit and make a decision since I made it so far in the job interview process. This is a really hard decsion for me and hubby. We love our small farm in New England, but my job at the moment isn't the greatest and may go away in 2013. Arghhhhhhh....

I heard Huntsville is very nice, but I need know the places to go and visit to help me make my decsion. I send you a pm today! Thank You!

I wil second Cotton Meadows and Debi. My DD and DH were there for a short time in the winter of '06. Debi and here staff were very nice.

also, you'd be able to travel to Jim Graham, not too far away:

http://www.meadowrunfarm.com

I don't know much about the horse environment in H'ville, but my brother and his family have lived there for years and they love it! I occasionally toy with moving there myself as it is so nice.

Good luck with your decision!!!!

Thaks Everyone. I place a call to Debbie waiting to hear back from her. I defeniately plan to look at her place. Any others?

I called my RE and mentioned to pull lsting of houses in the areas that n2dressage suggested. Job is on Redtstone, have no problem with a 45 min commute to work or to the barn. But I always prefer the barn to be the shorter commute

Right now I thinking if I find a good property with land, then I can build barn later. Make Sense? Pleae keep the information coming. Thanks!!!

I just wanted to chime in with other posters and say that Debi is great! A good rider and also I trusted her implicitly. I've been around the block in the horse world a few times and there are very few people I really trust!

I guess you already have an agent scouting for you, but if you feel like window shopping for houses and/or land, visit www.valleymls.com.

dkcbr,

I do have an agent, and I also wnet on MLS too. But I do not know the "horse friendly" rural areas. So please let me know what areas, towns I should look into -- Thanks!

I fell in love with a couple of places in Owens Cross Roads, but that was in 2004. Harvest, too (but it was already mentioned). I'll try to remember a couple others I "discovered", but the old brain is a bit foggy..... and unfortunately my brother and family is not into horses so wouldn't be much help.