The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mosquito Dunks???

Here in Central FL we have had heavy, heavy rains for well over a week and the rain keeps coming with no end in sight.

Some of my paddocks have areas with standing water and I know the mosquitos are going to be hellacious. Has anyone tried using mosquito dunks in areas of standing water?

I had another barn suggest this to me today, they use it in theirs, but I am concerned about using it where the horses will be grazing. They do and have no problems.

Anybody have any input or advice?
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I use them frequently. I have 3 streams on my property, and in some areas the water gets trapped in pools. So, I go out and put dunks in the pools.
    I think it has helped with the skeeter population.

Although the horses don't really drink that water or graze that close, I would prefer the dunks to EEE or WNV. I understand it is safe for fish, birds and animals. I have even heard of people putting the dunks in their livestock tanks.

I tend to be cautious with what I put down, but the dunks seem fairly safe.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I use them too. They make granules too which I use more for the standing water.

I used them earlier this spring but forgot to order more and haven't put them back out since about June, before the weather got brutally hot.

I do think they help some, and are almost certainly harmless.
    Click here before you buy.

I got some mosquito prevention items from Home Depot, not the regular dunks. My reason for the change was that these types lasted longer, 60 days, I think. They come several on a card, kind of dark grey fish shaped. The card says they can dry out and will still be effective when wetted again. They also say safe for fish in the water and livestock.

I experimented with part of one in my bird bath where I could watch it. Seemed to be quite effective in preventing the larvae and stayed hard and retained it's shape while wet.

I dislike the round dunks because they fall apart rather quickly, sure before 30 days. Expensive for the time they last, and the quantities I need for lots of water.

My main use for the grey, fish shapes was our swale hole. Water draining into it is making a large pond that seems to get bigger each year. I think there used to be a drain pipe, but has since gotten clogged or broken. Swale USED to be lots smaller and dried out in August. Since pond is mostly on the neighbors property, but partly on ours, I figured the prevention was worth the cost, and again they lasted longer than regular dunks. I threw several in there at a time, for large amount of water, each couple months. I do think they help, but we have SO MUCH standing water nearby that mosquitos are always around. This is all the water I can control, so I do what I can. Certainly no loss of frogs, other bugs around the swale!

I never had any luck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    I got some mosquito prevention items from Home Depot, not the regular dunks. My reason for the change was that these types lasted longer, 60 days, I think. They come several on a card, kind of dark grey fish shaped. The card says they can dry out and will still be effective when wetted again. They also say safe for fish in the water and livestock.

I experimented with part of one in my bird bath where I could watch it. Seemed to be quite effective in preventing the larvae and stayed hard and retained it's shape while wet.

I dislike the round dunks because they fall apart rather quickly, sure before 30 days. Expensive for the time they last, and the quantities I need for lots of water.

My main use for the grey, fish shapes was our swale hole. Water draining into it is making a large pond that seems to get bigger each year. I think there used to be a drain pipe, but has since gotten clogged or broken. Swale USED to be lots smaller and dried out in August. Since pond is mostly on the neighbors property, but partly on ours, I figured the prevention was worth the cost, and again they lasted longer than regular dunks. I threw several in there at a time, for large amount of water, each couple months. I do think they help, but we have SO MUCH standing water nearby that mosquitos are always around. This is all the water I can control, so I do what I can. Certainly no loss of frogs, other bugs around the swale!
    I use the these as well. They do work, The round dunks were an appetizer to one of my mares. Like the ones that sink.

I also use mosquito fish in the surrounding ponds.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I will have to find the fish shaped ones, I think those are the ones that are some kind of bacteria that kill the mosquito larvae.

My new farm that I am leasing has some standing water in the lower part of the pastures and it also has an old horse pool that I will not be using but it tends to collect rainwater....and lots of frogs I don't want to harm the frogs or other wildlife around there.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I put half of one in my water trough every couple of weeks.

I was starting to see "swimmers" and with the dunks I don't see them.

I've never had them last a whole month but they do a good job and are cheap.

Hubbardshorses Guest

I've used dunks and the granules for the last 4 1/2 yrs. They help with the mosquito population. I also use them in my water trough and standing water areas on our property with no problems..