The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What could this be?

Okay, I'm not sure of the name of the body part so bear with me. I noticed the other day that my horse had this hard, crusty stuff on her back hoof (in the back of the hoof and in that little indented part of her foot). I cleaned it out but couldn't get all of the crust off (didn't want to because I think it was hurting her) and put some Eclipse on it. Well, I did that a couple of times and it didn't seem to help one bit so today I cleaned it with a little bit of Betadine and put some Furazone on there (globbed the Furazone on). I have no idea what this could be, do any of you? I don't think it's from mud or anything because we haven't had much mud around here in quite some time, but then again I don't know how long it has been there since I don't really look back there very often...I will know though!

Thank you!

Mud fever most likely. Don't have to have mud to have mud fever. Keep it clean and dry. Once you get the scabs off, Desitin may help.

Pictures would help.

Scratches?
    Click here before you buy.