The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fall shots?

I'm pretty new to horse ownership, and therefore vaccination decisions. What vaccines, if any, should a horse get in the fall? I'm in the Western New York area. My horses got Rabies, flu/rhino, EEE, WEE, tetanus, and WNV in the spring. I know they don't need Rabies again until next year, but should they get anything else? They're pasture boarded living next to/with cows. They don't leave the property (unless I take my mare to a friend's barn a couple miles down the road, but I'm crippled ATM and probably won't be up to that ride until spring), and horses don't come to them.

I don't see any reason to give them more shots if they aren't necessary/recommended, but I'd also rather err on the side of caution and give an extra shot if there's a chance they need it.

(I know, I know--"ask your vet." My horse vet doesn't do my vaccines, so I don't really want to ask him about it since he's not getting paid for his expert opinion.)

My retired pasture puffs don't get fall shots. Same deal, they don't go anywhere, no one comes to them.

My riding mares get rhino/flu in the fall, since they're at a boarding barn where horses come and go, and occasionally I'll actually get ambitious and take them somewhere.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland