The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Goat - weird skin thing...

One of my goats has a weird skin thing going on. He has crusty lesions on various parts of his body (not on his lips or face, don't think it's soremouth), his legs, body...

The lesions look similar to scratches/mud fever in a horse. The are crusty patchy lesions, varying sizes.

Anyone have any ideas what this may be? Vet is coming out in a few days but I'd like to see if I can figure out what I'm dealing with here.... He's been isolated and we are wearing gloves/sterilizing when we handle him.

I know some about goats (I worked with KSU's goats for a research project during an intensive program) but I'm afraid I can't help you here.. Maybe try posting your question on Goat Beat. Adding pictures may help if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Maybe ringworm.

I would guess ringworm
    M

I had a goat with similar symptoms. The vet treated her with a oral antifungal griseofulvin and ivomec IM.

Thanks guys - it's raised and doesn't look like ringworm to me. I've seen ringworm before on dogs - unless goat ringworm looks different.

I'll try to get a pic of it tonight.

ringworm is raised.
    M

Could it be CL?

Not likely. CL is swollen lumps that grow on the lymph nodes, which eventually burst. They don't appear all over the body.

You can try posting pictures on thegoatspot.net as well, very good people there.

Have your vet run a DM (dermatophyte) test just to see if it's a ringworm-like fungus.

It could also be a type of mite. Certain types of mites affect different areas of the body. Skin scrapings should be able to rule out mites if done properly.

Rare in goats, but could also be pemphigus - an autoimmune disease. I only throw this out there because my own goat was covered in crusty, raised scabs. I work in a small animal hospital, and the first thing the doctor thought of was pemphigus when he saw my goat - but then threw it out because it's so rare. After a few skin scrapings, skin biopsies and visits with multiple vets, he was finally diagnosed with pemphigus. It started out on his pasterns which were raw, reminding me of a horrible case of scratches and then slowly moved to cover his entire body. His pasterns, ventral midline, and muzzle/eyes were the worst affected areas.

I'm curious to see what you learn.