The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Info on Free Broodmare Leases

I find myself in a situation -- my 8 year year old show mare injured herself this year and we finally have a diagnosis and unfortunately she will never be sound enought for competition (cartilage damage to fetlock joint). I've had her since she was a 2 year old and brought her through the ranks as an adult hunter, then switched to dressage two years ago. She excelled at both (wins at AA hunter shows and scored consistently in the upper 60's and low 70's at training/first level schooling 2nd and some 3rd level,with potential to move up--trained with well respected FEI trainer), but now I'm trying to figure out her value as a broodmare. She's a beautiful bay pinto warmblood, but not homozygous. She's registered Oldenburg NA and her dam is a Premium mare (Art Deco daughter x TB) and her sire is Spectrum (I think he's since been gelded). I am not ready to part with her yet, but am intrigued by a free broodmare lease.
    I would be interested in how people have gone about doing these, and their experiences. What do you put in contracts, references, etc. Since she is an 8 year old maiden mare, will this complicate matters. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here are pics of my girl

http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/p.../MargaretBlaik
    Last edited by BMargieRad; Aug. 27, 2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling

For me, I'd want to know her breeding soundness (has a vet checked her repro system ?) and all about her temperment, since she'll be raising the baby.
    -Amor vincit omnia-