The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Default Courteous opinions on this stallion?

I am seeking your thoughts on this stallions conformation and movement, from what can be seen in these two photos. He is an older horse, who I understand has not received any formal training. I do wonder what having someone lead him, who could drop his head, and ask him to lift his back would do for him...

In any event, if you feel compelled to offer thoughts which are critical, but founded in logic and reason, fine...however, if you simply don't like him, please have a care to just state that, and not burden us with a huge ration of negativity, as sometimes happens here. "Not my cup of tea" would be fine.

Thanks!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ssstallion.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...sstallion2.jpg
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Oooh, I think he's handsome - love the color! As you say, you can pick any horse apart. He looks to be a teensy bit wide behind and maybe his neck & croup are a bit on the short side, but he's lifting himself well and looks to have a nice strong back and topline. Overall, to me, he presents a nice package.

Polish bred Arab, perhaps?

I believe it is basically impossible to judge movement from still photos. Also super hard to get a read on conformation with these photos. What jumps out at me is the croups looks short and I worry about a bit of weakness in the loin in that first shot (could just be that picture though). Also seems to not have any withers to speak of, so his saddle position looks a little odd. Again, would love to see a confo pic, instead!
    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

He's not shown undersaddle - that is a different horse in the album. He looks lovely in that second picture and I'd love to see a video. As Hillside said, it's i,possible to judge movement from a photo.

I would guess American Saddlebred. Nice color.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

He looks nice in the second photo. American Saddlebred, isn't he? Beautiful color.

I agree. I need a confo pic
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Default Modern Saddlebred

His conformation is pretty good for a modern day Saddlebred. Like everyone says you need to see several stills of straight conformation posed like a warmblood not like a Saddlebred. It is particularly important with Saddlebreds to include a straight on front view and a straight on rear view and a relaxed un-parked side view on flat ground. Modern saddlebreds get into trouble in a number of places. Their front legs can come out of the same hole, they can be extremely east west, they might be very offset. None of those things are bad in a Saddlebred conformation class if they have action front and rear and are snorty. The other problem is caused by always judging a breed when it is stretched. The back can be very hollow and weak and long but the stretch drops the rear and makes the top line look straight. I like him though and to me the weakness is in his elegant airyness but I long for the good old days of Saddlebreds being substantial and useful and much less extreme. He is not as extreme but for sport horse purposes his neck will be very long and could mean he would have airway probems, I would consider a scoping before purchase. He is a pretty exciting candidate. PatO

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

I will ask for some conformation pix, and video. He is a 17 year old ASB stallion, and they are asking if he has potential as a sport horse sire.

Thanks for all of the input, so far!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/