The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions for fence extenders? And a rant.

I have white PVC fencing around two side of my property. Attached to that is a large square wire mesh (to keep the dogs in.) NOT the best combo for horses. But, it's what I have.

I want to add electric tape to it for multiple reasons. First, the obvious. The horses's safety.

Second, and this is ranting part. I live on a private road that leads to a trail. Lots of people use it to ride through, people walk their dogs, kids ride bikes, women push strollers etc. All fine with me, I like that part of it.

But JUST WHY DO PEOPLE THINK IT'S OK and SAFE to reach over the fence to pet the horses, hang over the fence to reach them and FEED either the horses OR the dogs!!!!? All while my dogs are going beserk barking and jumping at the fence? Or why do some riders think it's OK to let their horses and my horses sniff noses over the fence? It never ends well. That's just dumb and asking for trouble.

I had to (nicely) tell a Grandpa that it was NOT ok to have his 3 yr old Grandson stick his hand through the fence to feed the dogs. I guess my Shep/Lab mix lunging at his grandson's face wasn't enough?

Not too long before that I had a woman with her two (stroller age) boys reaching through the fence trying to feed the horses whatever they could find on the ground. UH, no, they don't eat sticks or rocks. UGH.

You guys get it - but I know the people I ask (nicely) to stop don't understand.

Anyway, for everyone's safety I need to keep the horses (and the dogs) back from the fence a bit.

OK, back to my original reason for posting. Suggestions on electric tape fence extenders? They seem to vary in length. I'd like to go with the smallest extention that makes sense. Is 3 1/2 inches enough? Or should I go with a full 12 inches?

Eh - I guess it's not rocket science figuring it out...but I needed to rant too.

I would go with the longest extenders possible. I live in an area that USED to be rural. There is now a subdivision right on top of me. My new "neighbors" seem to think that my mini-farm is here for their enjoyment. I can no longer feed my horses in my PJs and it is difficult to accomplish farm tasks when young parents are hanging over the fences with their tots, trying to entice the horses to come for a snack.

Sorry if I tagged along with your rant...

In your situation, right next to a public throughfare, I'd put in an internal fence a good 6 feet in. Plant trees in the space or use it for conditioning.

All you need is for little Snookums to stretch her arm through the fence to feed the horsey the rock and get zapped by the hot tape a foot in. If you are looking to protect your animals from the clueless then they have to be at least an arm's length away from someone leaning over the fence with arm (or stranger horse's neck) outstretched.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Aug. 28, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'd also post signs, something to the effect of: "Please do not feed or touch the animals." I'm pretty sure you're liable if someone gets hurt and while signs won't completely cover your rear they wouldn't hurt.

I also second the putting in an internal fence six feet in suggestion. The safest thing to do is to physically block people (and horses) from getting to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    I'd also post signs, something to the effect of: "Please do not feed or touch the animals." I'm pretty sure you're liable if someone gets hurt and while signs won't completely cover your rear they wouldn't hurt.

I also second the putting in an internal fence six feet in suggestion. The safest thing to do is to physically block people (and horses) from getting to yours.
    But, isn't it a shame that one has to go to so much effort and expense to keep others from messing with their livestock/pets?

I agree that making the barrier lane sounds like the best option, but I'm pretty ticked off that we have to do such things to keep our animals safe as well.

A few months back, I had taken my dog outside. I saw a girl at my neighbor's house, holding a baby, trying to call my horses over to the fence. My horses are typically pretty eff you to anyone they don't know trying to mess with them, but I stood still and watched them just in case. After a minute or so, I hear the girl yell to a guy outside to "go in and get those apples and bring them to me". Guy yells back "they're no good, they're rotten". Girl says "it dont' matter, bring them to me anyway". About that time I yell across the pasture in what I'm sure was not the most pleasant tone "DO NOT FEED MY HORSES ANYTHING EVER!". Then neighbors went running in the house and I haven't seen them try anything since.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

too bad you can't shoot people who are trespassing with frozen paint balls... that would be cathartic and teach them not to do it again.

Note: while preggo I am NOT the nicest person and WOULD in fact "if it were legal" shoot someone messin with my horses over the fence with a frozen paint ball

But since shooting them isn't a kosher thing I would agree that some step ins with electric creating a lane would be a much better idea.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GallopHer View Post
    But, isn't it a shame that one has to go to so much effort and expense to keep others from messing with their livestock/pets?
    I totally agree it's a shame. But, we're the knowledgeable ones about the animals we keep and the general public is not. History has shown we can't expect them to know not to feed their fingers to the horses. As wrong as it is, as the owner of an animal it is our responsibility to keep stupid people safe from them. And to keep our animals safe from the stupid people. There's a reason a lot of animals at the zoo have a moat as well as a fence around their enclosures

Of course they want to pet and interact with your horses. I always did when I was a child.

I would agree that you want the fence in as far as you can. Doing a separate run 6' in with horseguard and their fiberglass posts would work well. I would also add a sign saying "caution electric fence" and "please do not feed the animals."
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Get a big board and put a copy of your chosen State's Equine Liability Limitation Laws on it in REALLY BIG WRITING. http://www.americanequestrian.com/equinelaws.htm

Electrified wire on the outside with warning signs would help too.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Agreed that while it's unfortunate that you have to go through so much trouble to keep other from messing with your animals, it's what you gotta do. I had boarded my mare where she was turned out in a pasture that bordered along a public trail. I wasn't there when this happened but was told that some people walking their dog were petting her over the fence (she was a very friendly one), when their dog lunged at her. The leash kept the dog back so he didn't actually get at her, but she spooked good, took off across the pasture, and apparently came up on a fence and tried to jump it. It was not pretty, vet was called and she got stitches and stall rest.

The kicker was that the owner of the dog felt terrible and offered to leave their contact info to help out with the vet bill, but the barn staff turned them down, said not to worry and sent them on their way!

Thanks everyone.

You've given me some good ideas.

My DD wants me to put the tape on the outside of the fence! Haha, that would teach them....but no, inside the fence is where it needs to go.

To start with, I'm going to put up 12 in. fence extenders with the horse guard tape and the little warning signs that say "warning, electric". I'd love to do another fence farther in but can't afford that right now.

The electric tape will at least keep the horses off the fence. I have the fiberglass posts with horse guard on another part of the property and that works well too. If the 12 inches in doesn't work, I may have to do the whole area with the posts until I can do real fencing.

It IS irritating that I have to go through the trouble and expense to keep other people from messing with my animals but I need to anyway to keep the horses off the fence for their own safety. So, that's what I'll do.