The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What kind of 'underwear' does your horse wear?

What kind of 'underwear' do you put on your horse under their blankets? I'm referring to shoulder/wither guards and neck or body coverings to prevent coat rubs.

I know there was a thread not too long ago about blanketing vs not blanketing. I'm more wondering how those who do blanket because they clip or for whatever reason deal with horses wearing clothing for many months and preventing rubs.

Do you have blankets that fit so well your horse doesn't get rubbed? Has anyone had any success for sewing in fleece or some type of liner directly on the blanket? Does anyone have a favourite under layer product they use to prevent rubs? Are their any cons to putting on one of those neck/shoulder covers and using it all season?

In the past, I've always used Jammies with mixed success. With my mare, they weren't working last winter. She still got HUGE shoulder rubs. A fellow COTH'er suggested Bossy's Bibs, they were a little pricey but worked perfectly- her hair started growing back right away!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

I'm just very careful to make sure blankets fit right and are light in weight. First sign of a rub and they get changed. I have three horses who all wear roughly the same sized blankets, give or take an inch, though, so one that makes rubs on one horse will normally fit one of the others...

I found that using a shoulder guard made things much worse for my mare. I though I was making things better for her shoulder rubs but it only made it worse (she was a new horse and her first winter w/ me so I had to try different blankets to find the ones that would work for her). The static on the shoulder guard was horrible and everytime I moved it my mare would freak (understandable!).

Best thing to do is find a blanket that fits properly. I have multiple blankets for both my horses so I can switch (and layer) as needed.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Nothing -- his Weatherbeeta has never rubbed a hair on his body.

Nothing. I just buy blankets that fit and have silky nylon linings so they float over the topline. You can spray the shoulders liberally with Show Sheen to help the blanket slide.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Nothing -- his Weatherbeeta has never rubbed a hair on his body.
    Weatherbeeta's seem to be the only brand that doesn't rub either of my TB's - I've been buying that brand for years and have been very happy w/ the way they fit.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
    What kind of 'underwear' do you put on your horse under their blankets? I'm referring to shoulder/wither guards and neck or body coverings to prevent coat rubs.

I know there was a thread not too long ago about blanketing vs not blanketing. I'm more wondering how those who do blanket because they clip or for whatever reason deal with horses wearing clothing for many months and preventing rubs.

Do you have blankets that fit so well your horse doesn't get rubbed? Has anyone had any success for sewing in fleece or some type of liner directly on the blanket? Does anyone have a favourite under layer product they use to prevent rubs? Are their any cons to putting on one of those neck/shoulder covers and using it all season?
    if they fit properly they dont rub

and its better to get darted or pleated rugs at the shoulder as this allow the movement of the horse

i use polywarms underneath my out door rugs when its severe weather conditions

to measure a horse properly then measure from
    wither to tail
    chest to tail
    and wither to elbow

buy a high neck line which stops it from slipping back or falling out of the schoulders if the neck line is to low

out door rugs come in lightweight medium weight and heavy weight
    they also come with necks included or seperate personnally in winter months i prefer necks included as then you dont get the gap between the rug and the added neck, nor does it flip up to leave a gap
    so high or full necks is better with added pleats or darted fronts

make sure when one has the rug that you adjust the front straps ie chest straps
    neck straps, belly straps should be crossed over and adjusted to lenght and leg straps x over and adjusted lenght plus the fillet string at the back
    this all plays an important part to keep the rug on the horse and helps in the prevention of rubs if you adjust your straps correctly then the rug should fit well and you will not get any rub marks

My mare doesn't get rubs from any of her blankets (except at the very end of the season when she's starting to shed out the winter woolies under the blanket, then we occasionally get frayed hairs).

I do however use a lycra shoulder guard on her occasionally. Probably sounds crazy but I use it for just a smidge extra warmth. I know lycra isn't real warm or anything, but I figure that extra layer makes her "ensemble" just an idea warmer. It's kind of my between weights thing.. where it's too warm for a midweight blanket, but at night it's ALMOST too chilly for her sheet alone.

Also, because it's pink and she looks adoreable in it.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I have yet to find any "underwear" or a blanket that doesn't rub off a good amount of hair at the front of my guy's shoulder. I have measured, fitted, done the WUGS/ Hugs, WBeeta, Rhino, you name it, we've tried it. For 10 years. My best result has been show sheen and/ or baby oil on the rub point. Usually helps, then come spring I use a dab of MTG to help with the regrowth.
    But, we've got boney shoulders, so the only other option is nekkid,whick doesn't work out since he's quarter- clipped, but still LOVES his outside time! (We clip because he is in work- as in 3-4 times/ week 2+ hours, hunt once/ week, and work at lest 45 minutes the other days, even if just a walking workout.)
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

My horses go commando...

Fit, as everyone else mentioned. I've also noticed that some of the cheaper t/o blankets are really stiff and they smell funny.

Also, wash the blankets frequently. Sheesh...I've seen some horses wear a t/o blanket the entire winter without it ever being washed ONCE. Seriously, the horse's blanket shouldn't be able to stand up by itself.

If you're going to be that lazy and/or cheap, at least put a well-fitting cotton sheet under the blanket to protect the poor horse's hair and skin. How would you like wearing a piece of cardboard all winter?

I use this one http://www.doversaddlery.com/centaur...X1-2421/cn/71/ under this one http://www.doversaddlery.com/baker-t...X1-2479/cn/61/. Topped off with his thinsulate-lined turnout blanket. I greatly prefer layers--much easier to wash!

I only use the shoulder guard with the Baker. His turnouts are nylon lined so I don't bother with it . And yes, his blankets fit well. He's never gotten a blanket rub, I'm just a little paranoid

None. I agree that if they fit properly, they don't tend to rub.

Also, some Showsheen on the shoulders helps if there is a light rub.