The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Zipper location - back or front inside?????

I am getting ready to order custom boots that will be used for both dressage and jumping. I have never had zippers in boots.

I do have some half-chaps with back zippers, and they are a PITA - hard to zip, and zippers get gunked up with sweat, hair, and stuff.

So I am thinking front inside zippers - but I am afraid they might rub my shins when jumping.

Thoughts?

i vote for front/inside zippers had a pair of boots like that for years! so easy to put on/off.

i too have a set of half chaps that zipper in the back :x and they are a pita for sure
    Carol and Princess Dewi

**~Doccer'sDressage~**

Do the front zippers scratch your saddle when you jump?
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

I second front inside zips. The back ones have to be replaced too much because of the back inside of your leg rubbing your horse/saddle more. I don't think the front zip would scratch your saddle but I haven't jumped in mine so I can't say for sure.

Default scratching saddle with zippers...

... i've never had my saddle scratched from the zippers. they're far enough forward they dont touch anything and usually the zippers are covered.

I did have an old pair of half chaps that were velcro and did up on the back... the velcro rubbed holes in every saddle pad i own

i dont like the look up back-zippers either, you can really tell they're zippered boots, the forward and inside nobody is any wiser
    Carol and Princess Dewi

**~Doccer'sDressage~**

For those that have the inside/front zipper style- do you get crusties (sweat dirt, ect) in the zipper? I mean my back zips get pretty caked up even with the little leather covers. Just wondering if the front/inside style is better?
    RIP Charlie and Toby

Adventures

I haven't had my very long yet but my zippers are still clean. I did buy the zipper spray when I got them and the lady at the tack store said to use it once a month with a toothbrush to ensure my zippers last as long as possible. I think it lubes them up too.

Default Spray?

Quote Originally Posted by n2dressage View Post
    I haven't had my very long yet but my zippers are still clean. I did buy the zipper spray when I got them and the lady at the tack store said to use it once a month with a toothbrush to ensure my zippers last as long as possible. I think it lubes them up too.
    I've not seen this. Can you tell me a bit more about it, brand, etc?
    THANKS!
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

Here is one kind I found on the internet: http://divoza.com/shop/a.visit/4c7a9...ngeLanguage/en

The kind I have is this one: http://www.masterhorse.de/lshop,show....zubehoer,.htm

I think it depends on how you ride/use your leg BUT I know for a fact that if I had zips on my inside leg or near my shin I would get in trouble. The stirrup leather runs right across my shin, when I gallop short I have to pad them. Add zips? Ouch!

I only have a pair of dressage boots with the zippers on the inside front, so I can't say if they rub when jumping, but no, they do not rub anywhere while doing flatwork and they are a lot easier to zip than back zippers because you just bend forward, not around and back. And your shin is never fat and squashy like your calf is so the zipper seems to stay straighter and is easier to do. ALthough since these are dressage boots they come up far enough that in the cold weather my knee fat tells me when it's time to lose 5lbs.

I would think they would stay cleaner and be subject to less movement, and therfore less prone to breaking, but again, these are fancy Dressage Only boots so I can't speak to the rigors of XC in the pouring rain.