The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default when to plant oat or rye grasses in central FL?

I know this has been posted here, but I cannot find the info. I'm hoping to plant some oat grass this year, just for something to snack on. When should I spread the seed? How thick, and then does it need any special care once it's spread? How do I keep the birds off it until it sprouts?

We have bahia grass that's pretty lush in the pasture I am planning to use for this. It's the only one I can close off that the chickens don't frequent.

My girlfriend and I throw our oats out around early Nov. HEAVILY seed as oat grass is sporadic and clumpy, no matter how evenly you spread. I do find that the oats need more watering than the winter rye as well. The crimped oats seem to come in faster but they are more expensive. Last year there were like 10 bags of oats for $3 at my feed store b/c a customer said there were bugs in them. So my gfirlfriend and I bought them. Saw no bugs but we were able to heavily seed and had really nice oat/rye grass.

Oh and fertilizer!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I know this has been posted here, but I cannot find the info. I'm hoping to plant some oat grass this year, just for something to snack on. When should I spread the seed? How thick, and then does it need any special care once it's spread? How do I keep the birds off it until it sprouts?

We have bahia grass that's pretty lush in the pasture I am planning to use for this. It's the only one I can close off that the chickens don't frequent.
    Contact your local Extension Office.

G.

Default I'm in S. Ga

about 45 minutes from the Fla line. I TRY to drill my oats and rye grass by middle October. I say "try" because it depends on the rainfall. I have to wait for the rain but the temps are good by mid October.