The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trainer said the weirdest thing today....

We have a very good riding, wealthy girl in the barn, going into her last junior years. Her parents have made it WELL KNOWN (to anyone that will stand still ) that they want to buy her the best junior jumper/ YR horse and best junior hunter for her last year. Well, the jumper just got into quarantine, and they have tried a lot of hunters. They tried one of the best junior hunters in the country twice this week, and Trainer today was talking to her assistant (I was on the phone, but on hold) and said, "They really really loved the horse and he jumped great, but I don't know how I feel about the laying down. I guess we just stay on top of it, and if it looks like he is going to lay down, we tell her to start trotting."

WHAT? Is there ANY WAY I heard this correctly?
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

LMAO.
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

Some horses lay down randomly, or because they don't feel like playing today. Pretty rude habit, really. IDK that just trotting would be my remedy.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Maybe. My mare and I were waiting at the in gate at a show a long time ago, and without warning, she just went down for a roll! My Dad was right there and yelled at me to jump off. which I did. I was so shocked at her! (And embarrassed!) My Dad made fun of me for that for literally the rest of his life, saying she decided I was too big and she was over it. (15.3 mare and a 5'11 rider) She never did it again though. Maybe the horse is narcaleptic?

I have no idea what this horse's particular problem is, obviously- but when I was a junior we had one of the top junior jumpers in our barn, and he was narcoleptic. He was a fantastic guy who could take a joke (a necessary trait with his owner), but he would fall asleep at the drop of a hat. It was very odd- he would suddenly go down on his knees in the stall, with his butt sticking up, and you had to go in and gently wake him so he wouldn't fall all the way over and hurt himself.

She also had a fantastic, winning junior hunter who had Anhidrosis. If the talent is over-the-top, weird characteristics can be overlooked!
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

It sounded like a disobediance. We actually have a horse that is sleep deprived and he "falls down", so Trainer has experience with that. This sounded different. I couldn't believe it when I heard! I had no idea horses did that...
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

When I worked at a trail barn, we had a horse that would lie down on the trail if it was a hot day and there was a puddle to lie in. Great beginner horse, could put little kids on him and have them totally safe, but if there was a puddle and the guide didn't warn the rider to keep him going, he'd lay right in the puddle. If you asked him to go forward before he went down he'd keep walking, but if you just sat there, he was going to lay in that puddle until you told him to get out. He never did it when the trail was dry.

Narcolepsy?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I have seen this with more than one horse. The latest one would lay down if he "thought he was done" and the rider was walking (only if the rider was not paying attention). Yes, it is a disobedience.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Lovely little Caspian DD got to ride last week did this. He's only 4 and less than 30 days in the saddle. Thankfully DD was NOT in the saddle. She freaked out a bit and was convinced the little darling was dying on her. Especially when all the moms on the outside of the ring yelled at him to get up. It is a disobedience for some, sign of real issue for some, and a survival instinct for some. I did see one girl's horse that would drop a shoulder to get her off after the pattern and then try to roll on top of her. Never talked to the girl but it was a common enough occurrence on the circuit when she tried to sell the horse he went for much less than his original value.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I knew a pony who would sit down if he didn't want to do something. Literally sit right down on his bottom. Pretty much only did it with clueless or obnoxious kids. Funny pony.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

What I'm not following is why this horse is being considered one of the "best junior hunters" in the country? Doesn't lying down when being ridden sort of disqualify the horse for that esteemed position?

Quote Originally Posted by GilbertsCreeksideAcres View Post
    What I'm not following is why this horse is being considered one of the "best junior hunters" in the country? Doesn't lying down when being ridden sort of disqualify the horse for that esteemed position?
    bar.ka here

no. u bu.y miss.y what wins. winn.ing only thin.g that importan.t. on.ly. thin.g. win.

Why post here? Why not just ask your trainer about the scoop on the horse?

It is probably one of the top junior hunters right now. I would guess that the laying down thing isn't on a regular basis. Maybe the horse has been known to do that, and the seller was telling the OP's trainer about it as a heads up. All horses have funny quirks. Although, laying down is sort of a big one if the horse does it all the time (but, I would guess that it doesn't)

Because OP was listening in on trainer's conversation...probably doesn't want trainer to know she overheard the conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    Because OP was listening in on trainer's conversation...probably doesn't want trainer to know she overheard the conversation
    Exactly. I wouldn't ever ask my trainer about someone elses horse. Frankly, it's none of my business.

I read the original post as more of a funny, "Can you believe I heard this??". I don't think the OP is really looking for the "scoop" on the horse

I've seen one horse who would lay down when he was done, had an itch, or whatever. Not funny.

I also rode a pony he layed down with me while cooling out (she was a snotty green pony) I think I broke my toe kicking her in the ass repeatedly untill she jumped up. I then put her back to work. she has never tried that again.

I will say though, it is a VERY strange feeling to suddenly have the front of your horse drop out from under you!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

If moving off at the trot keeps the horse from laying down...I'm guessing it doesn't have ANY problems on course when it's cantering.

I suppose in a flat class there might be an issue, but an energetic walk is probably just as good as a trot.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"