The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    This post is a bit much.

Do you think the cat took a bus from her hometown to Alagirl's town? Cats don't wander a long ways in a short amount of time, such as a few days.

How could someone think "you suck" about someone who takes in a stray cat?
    Because the OP makes it very apparent that she just couldn't be bothered to do much of anything to find this cat's owner. Open up a flipping phone book and call several shelters and vets in her area. Let them know you found a unique looking female cat. They post these things on boards in their offices. What would that take, 15 minutes of her time? Aside from checking for a micro chip she doesn't have to drive anywhere!
    I could understand if it was a run of the mill stray that has been milling around her house for a few weeks. However, this cat seems to be a rarer breed that most people don't see on a daily basis. Meaning it is more than likely that someone is looking for her.
    The OP has been so lack luster about making attempts to find the owner that the rest of us are left yelling at our computer screens for her to get off her arse and DO something.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    Man, this thread makes me happy that my shelter dog is chipped AND tattooed (quite visibly). Hopefully, if someone found her, they wouldn't wait 5 days wondering if she was chipped, and that tattoo would at least make her "finder" think about the fact that someone does actually own her...

I think the OP is being awfully callous.
    I have an appointment next Saturday to have my cat chipped.

But what is the point if someone doesn't give a crap to bring a cat or dog to be scanned????
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    I have an appointment next Saturday to have my cat chipped.

But what is the point if someone doesn't give a crap to bring a cat or dog to be scanned????
    One of my dogs has a tattoo- it was done at the shelter before she came home (visible here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=508234048). Both of them have chips. I kind of wish they were both tattooed, though, because the chips can migrate, can be unreadable by certain outdated scanners, and are easy to "ignore" if someone falls in love with my lost pet. I think it's probably "harder" to take in an animal with a tattoo and be super casual about finding its people. Something about seeing it constantly... Don't really know how to go about getting the other dog tattooed, though, and am not sure what that procedure entails. I have an appt at the vet, tomorrow, though, and am going to ask her what she thinks.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    I thought there were universal chip readers now? That's what I was told when I was getting my dog microchipped. I was concerned I might be doing a pointless procedure if someone tried to use a reader that didn't work with his chip. I was told this is no longer the case (seems stupid it was ever that way anyway, how pointless).
    I'm having my cat chipped with the Avid system. According to the website that sells 3 different chips, they are universal.

http://www.microchipidsystems.com/answer.htm

One of my dogs has a tattoo- it was done at the shelter before she came home (visible here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=508234048). Both of them have chips. I kind of wish they were both tattooed, though, because the chips can migrate, can be unreadable by certain outdated scanners, and are easy to "ignore" if someone falls in love with my lost pet. I think it's probably "harder" to take in an animal with a tattoo and be super casual about finding its people. Something about seeing it constantly... Don't really know how to go about getting the other dog tattooed, though, and am not sure what that procedure entails. I have an appt at the vet, tomorrow, though, and am going to ask her what she thinks.
    Well, he sure looks comfy...
    Is that it on the inside of his leg?

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea for people with chipped pets to bring them to their Vet occasionally and make sure the chip is still working.

I'll be doing that after I activate the chip and make sure it is up and working.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea for people with chipped pets to bring them to their Vet occasionally and make sure the chip is still working.

I'll be doing that after I activate the chip and make sure it is up and working.
    My 3 pugs and my Bengal are all chipped. Whenever I visit my vet they always scan them to make sure the chip is still working.
    Owned by an Oldenburg

Yep- it's on the inside of her right hind. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=508234048

My vet also scans for chips at every appt. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    You guys are nuts!

Like I actually said, I do have other things to do than play with the cats, They are fed and sheltered, until I can find out more.

Until then I'll have lunch, maybe a nap, maybe then I can go knock on doors, there are only twenty or thirty thousand people living in town.

**dripping sarcasm**

Honestly, you'd be better off to stop responding. Grow up! You have found an unusual and readily identifiable cat, and wasted no time telling everyone here how adorable it was, took it's picture, gave daily updates, and then spend a lot of energy telling everyone else that they are *nuts* for reprimanding your lack of action to locate the cat's owners.

Have you called the local ASPCA/shelter? They ALL have scanners. They had universal scanners 14 years ago when I had my dog [now deceased of old age] chipped.

Have you called your local "dog catcher"/animal control officer?

How many vets (other than your own) did you call? That takes about 2 minutes per call. If that.

If you had done these things on day one, everyone here would be happy to hear about how the little stray is doing. But instead you blamed the prior owners for not searching hard enough for it and told everyone here they are ridiculous for calling you out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Have you called the local ASPCA/shelter? They ALL have scanners. They had universal scanners 14 years ago when I had my dog [now deceased of old age] chipped.
    Off topic, but there's no such thing as a local ASPCA. The ASPCA is the SPCA of New York City. All other SPCAs in the US are independent. The ASPCA is not a parent org.

Hopefully the OP has called the local shelter(s). I've certainly seen pets of all purchase prices abandoned by their owners, and I appreciate the annoyance of a farm owner used to unwanted animals dumped on their property, but that's still no excuse not to a.) scan for a microchip, b.) call all local shelters and animal control. Posting newspaper, craigslist, or found pets flyers are gravy.

I can only hope that the cat's owners don't care and the OP has a new kitty. It's horrible to not know where your pet is, especially for so long.
    Last edited by BLBGP; Aug. 31, 2010 at 06:51 PM.

The OP has said a couple of times that she's taken the cat to both a vet and animal shelter and had it scanned for chips. None found.

I do hope you at least call around to a few more vets/shelters and see if you can find anything else out...I would hate to be the one looking for a lost kitty. But at least she has a good home with someone who cares about her.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Off topic, but there's no such thing as a local ASPCA. The ASPCA is the SPCA of New York City. All other SPCAs in the US are independent. The ASPCA is not a parent org.
    Sorry. You are right. Our local shelter is the [Local Name] Humane Society not the ASPCA; I meant shelter when I said ASPCA.

I had not read that the OP took the cat to the shelter, only that her vet did not have a scanner....she said "the cat may or may not have a chip" so I assumed that meant she had not had it scanned. I guess I got caught up in the part that said "you guys are crazy" and something about going to take a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by jenarby View Post
    Because the OP makes it very apparent that she just couldn't be bothered to do much of anything to find this cat's owner. Open up a flipping phone book and call several shelters and vets in her area. Let them know you found a unique looking female cat. They post these things on boards in their offices. What would that take, 15 minutes of her time? Aside from checking for a micro chip she doesn't have to drive anywhere!
    I could understand if it was a run of the mill stray that has been milling around her house for a few weeks. However, this cat seems to be a rarer breed that most people don't see on a daily basis. Meaning it is more than likely that someone is looking for her.
    The OP has been so lack luster about making attempts to find the owner that the rest of us are left yelling at our computer screens for her to get off her arse and DO something.
    The breed doesn't even matter to me. Any cat could be the love of someone's life and they are missing it terribly, crying and sick with worry.

Mine are all rescues and now house cats, but I'd be absolutely beyond devastated if something happened like the OP described.

And more sickened if someone had the blasé attitude of the OP.

well, I sure hope that the kitty either gets to stay with you or you're able to find the owners. I own two Bengals so I can completely understand the appeal in wanting to keep one (that was one of my worst fears when one of mine got out, because he is so unique looking someone would just hold onto him) but also the heartbreak the old owner may be feeling. After all, I did tons of research and searching for my two boys and would be completely devastated if something happened to either of them. They certainly are very special cats!!

Stop it! Stop it! I have loved reading Alagirl's posts on COTH, she sounds like an intelligent, caring person, with a good sense of humor. Seriously.

So what did she do? She took in a stray, fed and sheltered it. Then she took it to the vet, and spent money on it getting it shots. She also took it to the shelter, and tried to see if it had a microchip. Guys! She's already done more than 90% of other people would do. We don't know if she's called other vets etc, but you can assume she didn't, or assume she did, we don't know.

I realize it is a unique cat, but I've had so many cats dropped off here -- neutered cats, truly the most adorable kitten in the world -- I would not be surprised at all that far from a little girl crying herself to sleep, someone has dumped the cat and could care less.

But whatever -- I think Alagirl should be commended for what she's done so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Stop it! Stop it! I have loved reading Alagirl's posts on COTH, she sounds like an intelligent, caring person, with a good sense of humor. Seriously.

So what did she do? She took in a stray, fed and sheltered it. Then she took it to the vet, and spent money on it getting it shots. She also took it to the shelter, and tried to see if it had a microchip. Guys! She's already done more than 90% of other people would do. We don't know if she's called other vets etc, but you can assume she didn't, or assume she did, we don't know.

I realize it is a unique cat, but I've had so many cats dropped off here -- neutered cats, truly the most adorable kitten in the world -- I would not be surprised at all that far from a little girl crying herself to sleep, someone has dumped the cat and could care less.

But whatever -- I think Alagirl should be commended for what she's done so far.
    Thank you.

Some of you are going a bit nuts here. It's commendable that you all would be so much more aggressive in hunting down an owner, but it can be extremely time consuming to do so. You must appreciate that. She's doing what she can as her schedule allows. She's allowed to take a friggin' nap.

I once spent four solid days of my vacation hunting for the owner of an obviously well-bred (hunting lines) labrador who followed my neighbors home. I was dealing with a small community and there were limited locales for me to explore and hunt through; it still took four. damn. days. When I found the owner of this well bred dog, he had packed up and gone home without so much as putting up a sign on the only access road down to the lake. He told the neighbors (who were breeders of show goldens) that he'd let her out to pee and forgotten about her. He had paid over 1k for this dog; he said that he was just going to buy a new dog when he got home. His dog was a status symbol, a show piece to impress his buddies. I lost four days and a decent amount of vacation sleep; he never blinked an eye at her disappearance. If I'd known that when I found her, I would have kept the danged dog and enjoyed my vacation at my leisure.

Money spent is not an indicator of excellent intentions.

I certainly hope this cat has an owner out there hunting furiously for her, and that alagirl & that owner connect soon and there is a happy reunion. In the mean time, the cat is safe and being cared for.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I once found a dog at the barn where I board my horse. He was an aged, fat lab. Was wearing a collar with no tags. Grayer than my grandmother. Clearly someone's family dog that was well-fed, and well-loved. It was the middle of winter.

Long story short, it a.long.time., but his owner turned up. She was 85 years old. She had called her granddaughter from Ohio to come help her search for him. No internet, no cell phone, not particularly mobile. Turns out, her home nurse had accidentally left the "real" door open and just shut the storm door. He pushed his way out and wandered over to the farm. It took her *that long* to get someone to help her find him. But dear dog, was I glad she did. He lost it when they were reunited. It was like seeing an old couple reunited. I am SO GLAD I kept making those internet postings....

Once she arranged her schedule and arrived from Ohio, her granddaughter found him for her... on my Facebook page.

I always think about how much I pray someone else would do the same for me some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    I once spent four solid days of my vacation hunting for the owner of an obviously well-bred (hunting lines) labrador who followed my neighbors home.
    A kindly good samaritan once spent three days trying to contact me to return my lost WALLET. Bless his heart (in the good way).

I was pretty upset when I lost my stupid WALLET -- with no cash and full of completely replaceable, worthless items. Can't even imagine how I'd feel if I lost a beloved pet.

I understand how frustrating your situation would be. However, I think what you did shows empathy and good character, even though the outcome was not great.

I always think about how much I pray someone else would do the same for me some day.
    This pretty much sums it up for me.

Alagirl, I think in trying to be 'cute' in your wording about how hard you'd look for the owner, the chip, etc , you raised some hackles. I'm glad to see you've checked her for a chip and seem to be spreading the word about her.

Signed,
    Proud owner of a full blooded English Setter someone dumped out as a starved 3-4 month old pup. Everyone who meets him admires this gorgeous dog. Looked high and low for some time- nope-he was intentionally dumped off, as it's now 9 years later and he's surely never lost us. Stranger things have happened than a cat getting 'lost.'

Since those folks also failed 'reading for comprehension' I am not worried to much how badly their knickers are bunched.

Well, back to work, I don't get paid to play on COTH...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

As this thread has gotten a bit heated and it is about cats, not horses, we're going to draw it to a close with our best wishes for the Bengal landing in a good home, if not its original one.

The OP is welcome to contact us with an update we can post to the thread if there are any developments in the "case."

Thanks!
    Mod 1