The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody else has yellow foxtail in their pasture this time a year?

All spring & summer long I had a lovely green & lush pasture, which was virtually weedfree. But this is the 2nd year that towards end of Aug, beginning of Sept I noticed pockets of yellow foxtail propping up.

I wonder if this is as a result of having had a season of grasshay that had quite an amount of yellow foxtail, which I was very unhappy about, but struggled through it.

I keep mowing the pastures, hoping to deal with it this way, but I actually noticed the horses quite happily eating it.

What would you do about it, agressively treat it with 2,4D, assuming this kills yellow foxtail, or just let it be & keep mowing.
    Anybody else having this nuissance grass in their pastures?

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post

What would you do about it, agressively treat it with 2,4D, assuming this kills yellow foxtail, or just let it be & keep mowing.
    Anybody else having this nuissance grass in their pastures?
    fyi nothing kills it...you can mow and supress it but eventually you'll need to break out the roundup and reseed

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

OH no, that sounds like a nightmare in the making........ .
    Perhaps I should tackle those areas immediately with Round-up, to prevent it spreading further.

OH no, that sounds like a nightmare in the making........ .
    Perhaps I should tackle those areas immediately with Round-up, to prevent it spreading further.
    be warned they are there because there was no other grass to suppress them....make sure you always have a fill in grass for the summers and you can avoid foxtail longer

Tamara in TN
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

But the weird thing is, there's even some that popped up in my front lawn, where I have a very thick fescue type of lawn grass, so there were surely no empty spots there and had not been grazed on .

I also noticed it in the lawn of my neigbor across the road recently.

But the weird thing is, there's even some that popped up in my front lawn, where I have a very thick fescue type of lawn grass, so there were surely no empty spots there and had not been grazed on .

I also noticed it in the lawn of my neigbor across the road recently.

foxtail as a tiny plant is not distinguishable from fescue by your average person...
    only once the heads pop up do you realize what has happened

Tamara in TN

Can you post a picture of this?
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia View Post
    Can you post a picture of this?
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBgQ9QEwAQ

more than one person has told me that it was timothy

Tamara in TN

Well, if the horses think it's edible, what's wrong with it? I know, if the seed heads are eaten by them in concentration they could impact in their gut. But that's only a risk if they're munching on not much else but fuzzy seed heads, a few mixed up with everything else they're eating won't be a problem.

Oh by the way, roundup is a very dangerous toxic chemical. the money it makes the company keeps it on the market as well as the convenience of dead weeds. Independent testing shows very different and much more sinister results than the company sponsored testing the the FDA goes by. (When you get into behind the scenes hidden info, it's obvious the FDA and the big corporate interests are tied together)
    I do not consider my farm organic but I won't let that stuff get anywhere near me if I can help it.

[QUOTE][QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by reubenT View Post
    Well, if the horses think it's edible, what's wrong with it? I know, if the seed heads are eaten by them in concentration they could impact in their gut. But that's only a risk if they're munching on not much else but fuzzy seed heads, a few mixed up with everything else they're eating won't be a problem.[/QUOTE
    you really don't understand foxtail do you ? it becomes embedded in the mouth and gums of the horses

genius..
    Tamara in TN

It is the blade of the grass that is so problematic or the "foxtail' seed heads? I'm unfamiliar with this weed.

I have a few patches of it in one section of my pasture...and this thread is reminding me to get out and mow instead of hanging around here.

Anyhoo, my horses don't touch the heads (making it all the more noticeable). I suppose if they had absolutely nothing else to graze...maybe. I certainly don't panic over fact it's there for the moment.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by GallopHer View Post
    It is the blade of the grass that is so problematic or the "foxtail' seed heads? I'm unfamiliar with this weed.
    just the seed heads...you can keep them tiny in a pasture situation...not so much in hay fields

Tamara in TN