The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spa's frequent flyer: El Real Madrid

I'd be hard pressed to think of another horse in recent memory who has run so many times at Saratoga in such a short period of time!

El Real Madrid trained by Rick Dutrow not only has won twice in four days but this was making his third Saratoga start in a little over a week! I watched his impressive victory Monday on TVG and when I heard his name again today I thought it was perhaps just a similar sounding name .. nope .. it was him, again.

Rumor has it he'll be working behind the bar too at Siro's tonight because he's still bored and was claimed in today's race Indeed as Barnfairy would concur El Real Madrid is so accomplished he can speak French in Russian!

Times Union Aug 26 - Talking Horses

El Real Madrid registered his second victory in four days at Saratoga Race Course when he won the second race on Thursday Aug. 26, a practically unheard-of feat in modern times at the upstate oval.

The 5-year-old Rick Dutrow trainee scored on Monday Aug. 23 by 8 3/4 lengths in a 1 1/8-mile event over the sloppy main track. That was after he ran on Aug. 18 in a 1 1/16-mile turf race, which he missed to finish second by a neck.

Thursday, he set the pace in a 1 1/18-mile claiming event and drew off to a 3 3/4-length score.

Owners Eduardo and Olga Celis were in the winner’s circle on behalf of their son, Rafael Celis, who is listed as the owner of the horse but who they said was the managing partner with them. The Celis family owns about 35 broodmares on a breeding farm in Valencia, Venezuela.

“I think this is a historic record, winning two races in four days,” Celis said. “You know, we come all the way from Venezuela and this is the first time we’ve visited the winner’s circle and we’ve done it twice!”

Celis said the Illinois-bred son of Boundary was named after the Real Madrid soccer team, the best team in Spain. He said his son made the decision to place the horse with Rick Dutrow after purchasing him for $18,000 from the Keeneland September Yearling Sale in 2006. But the Thursday score was the horse’s last for his original connections; he was claimed for $25,000 by William J. Cesare.

Default Ole'!

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass
    Rumor has it he'll be working behind the bar too at Siro's tonight because he's still bored and was claimed in today's race Indeed as Barnfairy would concur El Real Madrid is so accomplished he can speak French in Russian!
    His reputation is expanding faster than the universe.

He once had an awkward moment at the gate, just to see how it feels.

He lives vicariously through himself.

What was Dutrow going for, a Figueroa? King of the Spa? *I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    What was Dutrow going for, a Figueroa? King of the Spa? *I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.*
    We'll its 2010 but you never know if someone may think its 1963 again.

''I told them, 'I run Shannon's Hope short distances, six and a half furlongs, no farther,' '' Carlos said. ''This Paul Revere, he's a hero in Massachusetts, but he ran his horse 26 miles in one night!''
    An interesting statistic: Rick Dutrow Jr. the Daily Racing Form noted has a 28-percent winning average for horses run on seven days or less.

Perhaps they'll take down that bronze of Mellon's Sea Hero in the saddling area and put up a statue for El Real Madrid as Carlos wanted for 'Shannon' in Taxachusetts.

Video: El Real Madrid compilation of his three efforts

Note that he barely lost the first race on the turf, crushed 'em on the sloppy main track, then won solidly on a fast track. Like a Swiss Army knife - good for all purposes!

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Note that he barely lost the first race on the turf, crushed 'em on the sloppy main track, then won solidly on a fast track. Like a Swiss Army knife - good for all purposes!
    Truly -- he's also won on the synthetic at Arlington, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    Truly -- he's also won on the synthetic at Arlington, right?
    Yes indeed and with conviction too! Roll the film: Replay: Arlington Park 2008-06-29, Race 9 on the synthetic.

19 lifetime starts: 6-2-4 with earnings of $173,352

He was claimed yesterday by trainer Bill Cesare who with his mother owned the late Second of June, whom I really liked a lot, but is perhaps better known as having been a football player. No, not the soccer stuff like Spain's El Real Madrid club, but rather an NFL defensive back for five seasons from 1978-82. This claim increased his Saraoga stable from 3 horses now to 4.

If you want to catch this frequent flyer next you'd better hop on a flight to St. Croix, U.S.V.I. - yep he's down enjoying the sand, surf, and sun but not on holiday but rather for racing.

It will be a a 1-mile race with a $4,600 USD purse. A stiff class drop from his $41,000 and then $25,000 consecutive victories, respectively.

Yep I didn't know they had anything in terms of real racing myself. "Bush-league" stuff? Somewhat. He was to have raced this past weekend (Sun Sep 19) but the weather that ultimately hit Bermuda nixed the effort. While it was cited that trainer Bill Cesare claimed El Real Madrid it appears it was for owner James Bates, a St. Croix-based horse owner.

He is however slated to race in the rescheduled run Sun Sep 26th

The race will be held at Randall "Doc" James Racetrack - video seen in this race from 12/2009. It's not quite Mike Battaglia making the call but there is seating for 8,000 and it all seems to work ...

Your man swept into the US Virginia Islands like a Hurricane and, one week later due to other forces of nature, El Real Madric did as much damage as he was expected to do!

Virginia Island Daily News Sep 27, 2010 "Saratoga’s Real Madrid routs field in V.I. debut"

Horse racing fans had to wait an extra week to see New York horse El Real Madrid’s debut at Randall “Doc” James Racetrack because of rain. He was worth the wait.

The 5-year-old lived up to the hype on Sunday, dominating a strong field in the one mile feature.

El Real Madrid, ridden by Miguel Sanchez, thundered to a 1 minute, 37 second finish, well in front of Temo’s Dream and Spanish Market.

“He was totally dominant today,” said TRAXCO General Manager Dennis Brow. “He demonstrated that clearly he deserved all the hype we created for him. He is just tremendous.”
    (eh, you might want to toss the horse a bit of the credit too!)

Photo: El Real Mardrid, first turn, on inside rail

I wonder if he'll return to Spa this summer. No activity with equibase for him since he left the States for the one-race Virgin Islands effort.

Flashback - video - almost 3years ago at Arlington Park