The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hay Gurus - need your assistance please

DH did a feed and hay run today and ran through a very brief rain shower on the way home. This is lovely, freshly baled hay.

The top bales are very wet on the surface and the "outer" bales are damp - again only the surface area.

I placed those bales on separate pallets in the breezeway of our hay barn. The 'wet' sides are set so they can dry with 2-4 inches between each bale. I did have to stack a few of the 'dryer' bales across the dry edges of the wetter bales.

Your thoughts on how the bales are placed and prospects of keeping or loosing the bales. Many Thanks!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Feed those bales first! Since it's only the surface area, I don't think you'll have a problem if there is air circulation. Mold really comes from the inside, from being baled wet.

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    Feed those bales first! Since it's only the surface area, I don't think you'll have a problem if there is air circulation. Mold really comes from the inside, from being baled wet.
    um no mold occurs anywhere on hay...and if you get it wet enough it will mold outside as well...

a brief shower on tight baled hay is no biggie...fan or feed but don't stress

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Thanks for the info! Will keep those bales segregated and feed the "wetter" bales first.

I only have 2 horses - one eats maybe 1 flake daily and while the other would eat a whole hay round by himself , his hay intake is limited. Thank goodness for the cooler, dryer weather which should inhibit mold growth and help the drying process.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Other thing you can do if you're worried is open the wet bales up so they dry out properly
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

My absolutely NON horsey SO went to get hay a couple weeks ago. I lost the whole ten bales. On the way home(only 3 miles), there was a brief shower. It was very hot and humid out. He tied the tarp nice and tight over hte hay so it could not get wet. I had two bales left over from teh previous load so did not open the tarp for two days.

I opened the tarp to the horrid stench of moldy hay. The bales were crawling with maggots and flies. It was REAL bad. It takes a lot to make me gag and wretch but that I did. Yuk.

I wish he could just learn to ask me these things instead of just going on what he thinks. But unfortunately he was raised of the thought that me being a woman, will not have a clue as to anything like that. Well. being a dairy farmer for 15 yrs and making our own hay, I DO. And that was just a light 5 minute shower.

Feed those bales first!
    With the moisture being only on the outside (if the hay is tightly baled), you should be fine.

Default This ~ IMHO too ~

This ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

What you did should be fine. Feed those bales first and just keep an eye on them. Use your nose. If the damp sides start smelling moldy, then it's bad. Last year (when it was so damp all summer long) we had perfectly dry hay that got a little musty on the outsides just from the damp air (it was ventilated, but the air was SO damp). We just shook those flakes out really really well and sometimes fed it with good hay so it was mixed up. No, it was not moldy...just a little dusty and 99% of the bale was fine. Everyone survived.

My dad's been known to go do far as to take a saw and saw off an outer layer of bad hay if the rest is fine (like when we accidentally left a few bales on the concrete floor instead of on the usual pallets.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by WaningMoon View Post
    ......I opened the tarp to the horrid stench of moldy hay. The bales were crawling with maggots and flies. It was REAL bad. .......
    was there a dead animal in the bales?
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”