The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GPA Speed Air

Maybe a silly question, but I've been looking at the GPA Speed Airs and while the black with silver vents is expensive in itself, the black on black is even more outrageous. I've found a really great deal on a black/silver one, but I'm wary of using it for the hunters. Has anyone experimented with painting the vents on a Speed Air to make it monotone?

I know quite a few BNRs and BNTs who did that up here when they first came out. I don't know what they used (I like my silver vents!), but the helmets came out looking nice. A couple of folks just spray painted the side vents and left the middle one silver. I think those are my favorite spray-painted hats (and I've seen them in both the hunter and jumper rings).

Don't know about spray paint but do you have a tiny head?? http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=LC-36257A

My trainer at the time painted his- he said that he used "grill paint". I don't know what that is, where one would procure it, or if it is expensive, but it looked wonderful. He taped off the vents so that the paint would not get onto the other parts of the helmet. I assume that any flat black spray paint would work, but I distinctly remember the phrase "grill paint".
    -Grace

michel97moreno Guest

Default Hello...

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    Don't know about spray paint but do you have a tiny head?? http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=LC-36257A

Hello Sundown

Thanks for the site !!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    My trainer at the time painted his- he said that he used "grill paint". I don't know what that is, where one would procure it, or if it is expensive, but it looked wonderful. He taped off the vents so that the paint would not get onto the other parts of the helmet. I assume that any flat black spray paint would work, but I distinctly remember the phrase "grill paint".
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=03024598000P

There you have it

You can find this type of spray paint at most hardware stores. I actually used it to paint an old school weber grill and it worked great for that. No idea how it will work on a helmet LOL.

Never ever ever spray pain a riding helmet. It can destroy the plastic and the foam, so it won't protect your head in a fall.

Even other kinds of paint can destroy the plastic and foam if they drip, or if you make a mistake in painting.

It will also void your warranty on the helmet. If you do fall, they probably won't replace the hat for the reduced price.

Either buy something else, or suck it up and pay for the more expensive helmet.

GPA doesn't replace hats for a reduced price anyway, to the best of my knowledge. That's also separate from the warranty, which exists to replace a defective product and is unrelated to manufacturers buying back helmets for testing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    GPA doesn't replace hats for a reduced price anyway, to the best of my knowledge. That's also separate from the warranty, which exists to replace a defective product and is unrelated to manufacturers buying back helmets for testing purposes.
    In any case, is it worth putting your heat at risk from damage to the foam due to solvents in the paint? Ever played with styrofoam and organic solvents? It melts. Into a little ball that you can form like play-doh. But since that foam is inside the helmet, you won't be able to see the damage form the paint.

When I asked at Bevals they said GPA did replace helmets for reduced costs within a certain amount of time (a year maybe?)
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Thanks everyone. I think I will just leave it as is and use it for the jumpers and schooling and keep my good CO for the hunters. I was on the fence about buying it, but my little jumper chewed the brim!! off my old GPA (which was due for replacement anyway but grrrrr) and sealed the deal.

And I used to work at a tack shop, at the time GPA did replace helmets within a warranty period of time for a reduced cost, I believe half of retail. Not great, but better than buying a brand new one!

Ah yes they do. Within either a year or 18 months. Daughter took two falls that weren't pretty, brought helmet to Bevals, paid 189 including tax and within two weeks we had a brand new Speed Air, the new one Evolution because they don't make the model she had. Worth buying from a legit store, we didnt have the receipt, they were able to look it up, and also based on the date of the helmet.

If it's just the politics of the hunter ring you're worried about with the vents, I have had my black/silver one for 5 yrs or so, I bought it because I only did jumpers at the time but it doesn't seem to have affected my placings.
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

ditto, alot of the kids here in teh se are using them in the eq and hunters w/o being penalized.. i would seriously stay away from painting one though, i think if youwer eto have a wreck and try to use the replacement program that GPA would probably balk claiming you altered the integrity of the helmet. idk.. im kind of a pessimist about that sort of thing.. lol =)
    I think they will replace any gpa ONE time within the first year of purchase if you can supply a recipt.. otherwise they use the date stamped in the helmet.