The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hawk trailer--what size should I get

I have a 16 foot gooseneck stock trailer that is old with no tack area. I have been going back and forth about getting a different trailer, and thanks to this forum have decided on a Hawk. But finding one is near impossible so have decided on ordering a New One. Now I am a timid driver so do not think I can handle anything super long, and the only thing I really want is a tack area. I have hauled 4 horses only one time with my current trailer. I can't decide if I should just get a 2 horse because that is what I will use most, or a 3 horse because I may need it at some time. Also I think I would like a slant because I can just use it like a stock trailer and let the horse stand any which way they want, or have the dividers when needed. What do you advise...

If you really think you will use the 3 horse enough to justify the added cost, then go for it. Their 2+1 configuration is nice.

As for stock or straight, add this tidbit to your considerations: the center divider in a Hawk removes easily and Hawk makes a full width butt bar to use when the divider is out. Instant single stall that works well for a large horse or for using to tack up in the trailer.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Ditto the 2+1 configuration--it's my dream trailer!

http://www.happytrailstrailers.com/product.php?pid=8

I never have/will fool with anything other than 2H BP or 4H GN. Don't like the way 3H BP behaves. And if I have to go to the trouble of a GN the extra couple feet of length (4H vs 3H) won't make much difference, considering a 4H will have more overhang.

A 4H can also pull some dividers and make two large slant stalls if you ever need to haul 2 biggies.......or take all the dividers out and haul 5 smallies.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Several people at our barn have purchased new Hawks, and they have all purchased the 2H warmblood with tack room. Everyone loves them. One was brand new this past weekend and we broke it in taking the kids to a dressage schooling show. It towed great with 2 draft crosses.

First, you really will be happier with a gooseneck if you are a timid driver, ever want to haul more than 2 and also bring wardrobes and supplies for 2 on a weekend-length excursion or 3 for any trip.

The length you'll get from a big gooseneck isn't as hard to manage on the road as it would be in a bumper pull version. Gooseneck all the way.

The 2+1 would be my choice also. I like straight loads and that largely shapes my decision. With a full stallion gate between the front and back stalls, I'd be really happy to put equipment in the box stall part.

But I'm fussy about clean equipment so I'd want a see a separate dressing room, not a gate that closed off the overhang part of the gooseneck but which admits dust and chaff from the haynets freely. The kind of trailer I have in mind is absurdly long (and expensive) just for hauling 1-2 horses.

If you will do a slant load, make sure the design will let you tie back the dividers in a way that's safe and quiet. Along these lines, you really should make an effort to personally walk around in trailers that have the features you'd order. That will tell you more than pictures and floor plans can. You'll know good, bad and ugly when you see it.

Happy trailer shopping!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If looking at the Hawk trailer, look at the Balanced Ride Trailers, made by Hawk but custom trailers designed by Risa. She upgraded a TON of things in this trailer line and yet the cost did not take a significant jump.

The 2+1 trailer shown on the following link is my trailer: http://www.balancedridetrailers.com/

They ride backwards but they can be configured to ride foward facing as well. I have mine ride backwards and they haul like a dream. If you get in touch with Risa, tell her Jennifer sent you. She's great.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Going from BP's to a Goose this spring was the best thing I ever did. I LOOOOVE my trailer! It's an extra tall (8ft) extra wide, WB size and even my big horses fit in there comfortably. It hauls like a dream - I don't think I can even haul a BP again!!
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

I ordered a 2H GN straight load Hawk with front ramp and love it. It is short and easy to haul, but significantly cheaper than the 2+1.

I had it padded/lined all the way around with rubber (not expensive at all) and extra latches on the front escape door for security. I can pull everything out and haul loose in it like you are talking about. It is very useful as I have a weanling and an old guy with ringbone, both of whom are most comfortable hauling loose when they need to be hauled -- but for everyday the straight load works perfectly for my 2 riding horses.

Thanks so much. I do think the 2 horse is the one I really want. Tell me more about the ramp in the front. Would you be able to put a picture of it on here. I will only buy a gooseneck, hate bumper pulls. I only go trail riding, have not done any over nights. I want a very safe trailer for the horse, lots of padding. My horse banged his head on the divider of a Keifer built after smelling the ramp, and it was not protected at all, just the metal....the last decision is straight load or slant. With the slant is the tack area smaller because of the slant wall? Is the horse area longer in a straight? I want to keep it as short as possible. I first thought I would love the 2 plus one till They said it was 30 feet long...I am in Minnesota and the nearest dealer is in Wisconsin about 5 hours away. Makes it tuff to go look. I am thinking of going to our State Fair but the Hawks are not going to be there that I no of.

Default what I have

I have this one:

http://www.happytrailstrailers.com/product.php?pid=117

I love it! It's a little shorter than the 2+1, although the side ramp is a little longer than the standard walk through. The side ramp provides a little more space in front and I love having the option of unloading either direction. I had a 2 horse bumper pull before this one and haven't had any trouble adjusting to hauling the longer trailer.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Mine is very similar to Holly Jeanne's. It is a little longer but not much than a standard 2 horse. I love the front ramp.

Mine is similar to Holly Jeanne's, except I load from the side and exit out the baci -- rear facing. Horses love i!

Risa at Happy Trails helped me design it, made suggestions, then had it made for me in Wisconsin and delivered right to my barn!

Talk to Risa first!