The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ivermectin, horse poop and chickens

For those of you that have free range chickens, what do you do when you worm your horses? My chickens attack every fresh pile of horse poop with gusto. I figure they will do the same when the horses are wormed. Do you worry about the chickens getting too much ivermectin? What about the eggs?

Very good question and I do not know the answer. Hopefully someone does as it will definitely affect what I do as well.

I'm sure the chickens could use a little worming, and we could use some as well. So I'd not be concerned. Besides ivermectin has quite a large safety margin, it would take a serious overdose to be toxic to anything but the worms.

What would bother me more is what I've read about happening, a hay field sprayed with weed killer, and I assume the recommended time interval left, the hay is cut, eaten by horses, the manure is composted and used on a garden, and it killed everything. That's sure to damage the horse long term, probably give them liver failure.

I have a separate pile for manure after worming. For 10 days after worming everything will go there. It's excessive, but it seems like the thing to do. It is mostly for the protection of the collie mix.

My Roos free range all day and I know they have picked through piles after worming and they always seem fine
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I have free range chickens and I mix paste wormer in the horses feed. I've never had a problem with any of the animals getting sick. My little dogs don't enter the barn or horse enclosures, my big dogs eat horse poop like it's their job and the chickens pick through any poop they find. The only problem I've ever had in 18 years was the year my husband decided to use granulated fertilizer in the big horse pasture (without telling me first). That was horrible, the chickens thought he was spreading goodies. Lost about half my flock over that deal.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Oh heavens PRS...that's a terrible way to loose chickens! Thanks for sharing that! I'll be really careful!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Oh heavens PRS...that's a terrible way to loose chickens! Thanks for sharing that! I'll be really careful!
    It was horrible! While some survived I had to put some of them down they were suffering so. 24-48 hours was all it took. Mr. PRS doesn't use any fertilizer on the pasture unless it is cow or horse manure...which is chicken friendly.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    It was horrible! While some survived I had to put some of them down they were suffering so. 24-48 hours was all it took. Mr. PRS doesn't use any fertilizer on the pasture unless it is cow or horse manure...which is chicken friendly.
    I have a pile of grass seed mixed with pelleted fertilizer that I can not use for exactly this reason.... The chooks would gobble up the pellets without blinking.... I have found them eating paint chips, styrofoam and all other sorts of bad things...

As far as ivermectin in manure, here's a link to excretion of ivermectin in horse manure.... Looks like 90% is excreted in 4 days. But can be detected for quite a while...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...8280278fb8ab7e
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

I remember being worried about that when we PowerPak'ed the old guy last Spring. We did it and just made sure to offer scratch and pick the pens and pastures daily. Everybody lived.
    And I'm very sorry about your chix PRS, I'd really really hate to lose mine that way!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We had two banty hens that lived at our barn for MANY MANY years. It never occurred to me to worry about the freshly wormed horses around them. They both lived to ripe old ages, and perished from predators, not from consuming anything from a freshly wormed horse.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Default It is a chicken wormer.

On Backyardchickens.com they use ivermectin to worm chickens. It says to use a pea sized dollop. But then, you aren't supposed to eat the eggs for 10 days or so.

I don't know how much actual manure they eat, or if it's just the grain inside the balls, as well as looking for bugs and goodies. I spread mine in the orchard and we still have earthworms and chickens dining from the same area.

As far as how much comes through to be eaten is a scientific unknown.