The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tweed jackets in the jumpers?

Do people ever wear tweed jackets in the lower level jumper or hunter rings? Reason I ask, is that I'm about to purchase a tweed jacket for the purposes of drag-hunting on New Year's Day http://www.alexander-james.co.uk/archives/453. (For clarification, I'm British, live in the US, and will be doing my hunting back in England, whereas my showing will commence next summer in the States.)

I'd like to avoid buying two jackets, and would prefer my lone choice to be tweed, as it's permitted both for autumn hunting and post opening day.

I think that's a beautiful coat. However, it's a bit long and a single vent. Most traditional coats worn in the hunters States-side have a double vent in the back.

That being said, I don't think it will make a rat's patootie bit of difference if you wear it in the hunters. Put down the right trip and you'll win.

I think you could wear that coat in the hunters or jumpers. The style without the velvet collar would blend in a bit better in the hunter ring, for sure, but if it wouldn't be formal enough for hunting without the velvet collar, you could still probably get away with it. You could also do what I do and shop for a jacket on the consignment racks when you get back to the states... I just got one that was practically brand new for $30! Either way, sounds like you've got a fun year coming up!

Beautiful jacket! From the description, it looks like it comes in either a single-vented OR a double vented option (description says "Side or centre vent at rear") and the photo on the bottom of the page looks like the double vented, which as gofish said is more suitable for the hunter ring in the US...So if that look is ok for your UK hunting, I'd go with the double vent. Either way, it is lovely, and I'm seeing more and more contrast collars the past year or two, even (gasp!) in the hunter ring

Oh, and I'm very jealous of the New Year's hunt plans...any chance you can fit a small Yankee in your suitcase?

Quote Originally Posted by Haalter View Post
    Beautiful jacket! From the description, it looks like it comes in either a single-vented OR a double vented option (description says "Side or centre vent at rear") and the photo on the bottom of the page looks like the double vented, which as gofish said is more suitable for the hunter ring in the US...So if that look is ok for your UK hunting, I'd go with the double vent. Either way, it is lovely, and I'm seeing more and more contrast collars the past year or two, even (gasp!) in the hunter ring

Oh, and I'm very jealous of the New Year's hunt plans...any chance you can fit a small Yankee in your suitcase?
    Super. In that case, I shall opt for the centre vent.

I'm excited about New Year's, too. Following a fifteen-year break, I've only been back in the saddle for a year, and hunting will be a huge step up in testing my capabilities over some rather huge jumps. Along with the new jacket, I suspect I'll invest in some ultra sticky jods

Beautiful, I would happily wear a coat like that in the hunters if I could find one on sale. Lower level jumpers, as long as you are not riding in any class marked "formal attire" the only requirement is that your shirt have a collar.

I would opt for the double vented plain collar version and be aware of the fact that it's a bit different from what everyone else will be wearing, but it's quite lovely and fine under the rules.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Gorgeous jacket - while I love velvet collars, I would steer away from it for a couple of reasons - 1) it's not too popular in the show ring these days and 2) it could look like you have your "colors" (foxhunting.Its a very traditional tweed hunt coat and I see absolutely no reason why you can't wear it in either hunters or jumpers. The rule book really only addresses jacket color concerning formal attire. I think double or single vent would be fine.. I've seen plenty of single vented jackets w/ hunters, particularly from Europe

Double vents are a relatively "new" style, back in the 60's when I was a junior all jackets had single vents and were a bit longer (helped conceal our flared breeches ).

When the shorter, double vented jackets appeared on the scene, they were considered the latest fashion.

I'm not sure but for the OP, who also intends to wear it hunting in the UK, the single vent may even be considered more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Double vents are a relatively "new" style, back in the 60's when I was a junior all jackets had single vents and were a bit longer (helped conceal our flared breeches ).

When the shorter, double vented jackets appeared on the scene, they were considered the latest fashion.

I'm not sure but for the OP, who also intends to wear it hunting in the UK, the single vent may even be considered more appropriate.
    Uhmmm...hate to break it to you, but the 60s were 50 years ago. I don't consider that "relatively new."

I have jackets that are 30+ years old and they are double vented. I hang on to them because I'm absolutely convinced that hunter green jackets with rust breeches are going to come back in style.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Uhmmm...hate to break it to you, but the 60s were 50 years ago. I don't consider that "relatively new."

I have jackets that are 30+ years old and they are double vented. I hang on to them because I'm absolutely convinced that hunter green jackets with rust breeches are going to come back in style.
    I guess its all relative, to me it seems like only yesterday. But I think you should wear your hunter green jacket and rust breeches now, its a great combination. In fact, it was one of the most popular in the 60's, the other favorite being navy with rust, which I wore.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    ha ha I was thinking the same thing...

and also agree that the longer jacket will be more appropriate for hunting (warmer) in UK, however, I would check the fabric content of jacket because if this is a tweed for hunting it might be waay to warm to wear for competing in US - depending on where you live.. also for jumpers, you might not even need a jacket