The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions! I went to TSC last night and picked up a Rat Zapper. They had bait boxes as well, but I like the idea of the zapper and wanted to give it a try. Brought it home and as I was putting in the batteries, hubby asked me what it was.... then dropped the "bomb" on the plan. The rats are in the chicken area and the hole in the zapper is big enough for our (admittedly stupid) chickens to put their heads in. I don't want ot have to deal with a dead chicken because it stuck its head in their and got zapped. So it will probably go back and maybe I'll get a bait box instead.

In the meantime, while I know no one with a JRT to "rent", someone suggested contacting our local dog obedience club as earlier this year they'd hosted an Earthdog trial. I got a reply last night!! I was nervous about opening the reply with all kinds of AR-slanted flames running through my brain (let's face it... ARs would have a field day with the idea of using someone's dog to purposely kill rats), but it was amazingly positive! Seems the person replying has a doxie and a buddy with another that are going to bring out their dogs one evening next week to check it all out and then we can come up with a plan for the "attack". Is it bad that I'm almost excited to see the dogs work?

Either way... hopefully my rat problems will be history!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    In the meantime, while I know no one with a JRT to "rent", someone suggested contacting our local dog obedience club as earlier this year they'd hosted an Earthdog trial. I got a reply last night!! I was nervous about opening the reply with all kinds of AR-slanted flames running through my brain (let's face it... ARs would have a field day with the idea of using someone's dog to purposely kill rats), but it was amazingly positive! Seems the person replying has a doxie and a buddy with another that are going to bring out their dogs one evening next week to check it all out and then we can come up with a plan for the "attack". Is it bad that I'm almost excited to see the dogs work?

Either way... hopefully my rat problems will be history!
    Dachshunds are just as effective as terriers! I have some friends who routinely go on rats hunts at night in NYC! Wish I were there to watch!

I am Maf's friend with the farm. I have working bred JRTs (as in bred to hunt, bronze medallion dogs in the bloodline etc) They don't help much with the rats.

Sure when we first got the dogs they got rats. Now we just have smarter rats. They might catch a couple a year, and get some nests... but over all don't make much of a difference to the population, we just weed out the stupid ones.

I got a rat zapper as the mouse zapper fixed my house mouse problem. Nope rats are MUCH smarter than mice. Mice are kinda dumb. The only thing that worked was poison. It took me a long time to be willing to try such an inhumane method, but they were making forays into the house!