The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best flyspray reviews???

whats the best flyspray you have or do use on your horses?

looking for good flyspray that has good reviews from everyone here on COTH,before i invest in a kind that maybe more expensive,then your run of the mill cheapo brands.
    horse is pastured 24/7 with 3 sided cover shed.he isn't sensitive skinned,but the flys seem to be out full force this yr and besides having flymask,would like him to have some extra relieve from those bugs(particularily around his ears) have yet to find a flyspray product that works really well..hense asking for product reviews.

I use homemade stuff, because it's cheap and effective as any spray is. Really though, no sprays work all that great or for that long. If the bugs are causing a real problem, I use masks and a fly sheet.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

We don't have the mean biting flies here, so I'm not sure how effective it would be for those. But for our flies and skeeters I've had really good luck with Equisect. And it smells fabulous.

Also had really good luck with Flys-X, but I'm not sure if it's still made.

I use Tractor Supply Horse and Pony spray. Seems to be the only thing to keep the biting flies at bay AND, although everyone around me is having a huge bot fly problem (and I've seen bot flies buzzing my guys), NO bot fly eggs. So, it must be working. It is oily though, but hey, you can't have everything.

This year Endure is working best on my fly magnet.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Flysect Super-7. I consider it "bringing out the big guns."

I usually use either Bronco or one of the "natural" sprays like Equisect (which I don't think works well at all), but when the bugs get bad, it is time to switch to Flysect Super-7.

It is the only thing that allows my horse to get through a ride comfortably at the height of bug season, and it seems to work on all manner of bugs, including mosquitoes.

UltraShield (black bottle).

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeus View Post
    This year Endure is working best on my fly magnet.
    Endure and Tritech. And buy the gallons, as it is cheaper that way.

An article in, The Horse or another magazine a few years ago said that all fly sprays lose their effectiveness after about 24 hours so they must be sprayed daily. I do that to keep flies and mosquitoes and gnats off, and the Endure and Tritech seem to stay on better on sweating horses.

Mosquito Halt is working for me this season - it seems to stay on for the duration of a ride. I'm located in the SE (NC) where it's hot, humid, and buggy.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Quote Originally Posted by my_doran View Post
    whats the best flyspray you have or do use on your horses?

looking for good flyspray that has good reviews from everyone here on COTH,before i invest in a kind that maybe more expensive,then your run of the mill cheapo brands.
    horse is pastured 24/7 with 3 sided cover shed.he isn't sensitive skinned,but the flys seem to be out full force this yr and besides having flymask,would like him to have some extra relieve from those bugs(particularily around his ears) have yet to find a flyspray product that works really well..hense asking for product reviews.
    read the sticky abov this is the best fly stuff ever

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104176
    and ver loads of cothers have supported and donated to a good cuase
    be aprt of this and you will be helping your horse and others

I really like farnam's WIPE very much, its quite pricey though.
    “Let today be the day you stop being haunted by the ghosts from your past. What happened in the past is just one chapter in your story; don’t close the book, just turn the page.”

Pyranha.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    Pyranha.
    This.

Endure! I think a few years ago it was rated highly in the Horse Journal.

There have been several threads on this subject...do a search.

I use Deep Woods Off, seriously.

I LOVE Equissect.

For ears, I put a thin coating of Swat around the ear edges and a bit on the ear hairs that stick out. Bugs stay AWAY. I have also put Swat on lower legs to keep flies off and it REALLY works. It smells and gets all over your hands, but works great.

Default Original Wipe and Swat(pink)

The horses fight over getting the Wipe on...I have to keep track of which legs I have done as they spin around me. Do ME! NO, DO ME! Not HER do ME. As soon as they are done they all fall asleep. When the black flies(gnats) are bad after I have put on the Wipe I put Swat lightly on the feathers out the ears and up the back of the ears and under the jaw and on the chest and spot the pink along their midline to their udders or sheaths, behind their elbows. If the Barn Flies are bad (ankle biters) I will lightly dab on lower legs. The pink is better than the clear and you can easily tell who you have finished. I do spray occasionally and I use RepelX mixed stronger. I have never found the sprays to give as much relief or as long as the Wipe and Swat. Minnesota is the Land of 10K lakes and a million wetlands where the suckers hatch.

The Swat turns fingers pink so I put on a pair of latex gloves before I de-bug everyone as that is surely the biggest problem with my method, it is messy and who knows what the stuff does to us, it is worth it to see them get to relax and nap. I guess I hate breathing the sprays more and they don't last near as long.

Tritech is good, but very expensive. Over $20 for a spray bottle.

Recently I purchased some Bug Max ( a Farnum product) from Tractor Farm Supply. It works wonderfully, long lasting, and is only $13.

Deo Lotion concentrate (formerly known as Clac - but still in the same orange bottle) has been hands down the most effective for me. I'm in the PNW, and the mosquitoes and gnats don't touch my horse, period, when he's wearing this stuff, and they are bad in this area! We don't have a fly problem, but I'd imagine it's probably effective against flies as well. I find it to be economical since it is a concentrate. You can use it full strength or 1:1 (although I find that way too greasy!), all the way to 1:7. I use it 1:4, and find that to be plenty. VERY strong smell at 1:4.

Highly recommended. I won't bother trying anything else anymore. This stuff is it for me. The Equisect, Equi-Spa, Marigold spray, and a few others were either partially effective or not effective at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    Pyranha.
    Yep - me too! I've been a die hard Tri-Tec fan for years, and kept hearing good things about Pyranha, so I decided to try it this summer. It's been working really well, and I think I'm going to go ahead and get a gallon of it next!
    Cindy