The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Knee Chip Removal-Recommendations?

Anyone know anyone good and reasonably priced to remove a knee chip from a 2 year old TB filly driving distance from South Jersey/Delaware? Any idea on how much this should cost?

I would like to move this filly on to a riding home rather than run her at this point and an expensive surgery is not an option right now. Vet says she should be fine for riding with the chip but I would like to help her any way I can......

Wherever you take her I'd have the surgeon review the x-rays and get his opinion on removal vs. leaving it be before hauling her there.... I had a 3 yr. old with a chip I hauled in for surgery (laser) & he highly recommended that I did NOT do the surgery... said would do more damage to go into the joint to remove it than to let it be. His was the size of a pinpoint, but it was in a flexion area...

Really depends on where & how big the chip is. I've known others, too, that have done more harm than good removing chips. Yes, sometimes it does help (like I said...it really depends on the location & size) -- but if the vet said to leave it alone, I'd probably leave it be....

I had the last one at Manor Equine in Monkton MD cost around $1800. and horse recovered 100% with nice flat knee no filling. super efficant spotless small clinic great service 1st class surgeon.

Hogan Equine in Cream Ridge, NJ without a doubt. Patty Hogan will ask to look at the xrays anyway before any decisions are made. Her clinic is within 1 hour and 10 min. from Delaware Park, 40 min from Pha, 30 min from Mth. She is a caring person, does all of our surgeries and xray evaluations.

Top surgeon, great staff...
    Turning For Home, Inc.
    Philadelphia Park Racehorse Retirement Program
    www.patha.org
    turningforhome@patha.org

Our barn uses Brendan Furlong ... Bedminster in Somerset County.

Cornell...Dr.Cheetum

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara L. View Post
    Hogan Equine in Cream Ridge, NJ without a doubt. Patty Hogan will ask to look at the xrays anyway before any decisions are made. Her clinic is within 1 hour and 10 min. from Delaware Park, 40 min from Pha, 30 min from Mth. She is a caring person, does all of our surgeries and xray evaluations.

Top surgeon, great staff...
    I'd second this. She's one of the best
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

second Patty Hogan or Patty Doyle at Mid Atlantic equine....both would want to see radiographs before deciding if the surgery is necessary
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

I had a "chunk" taken out buy Blue Ridge Equine in Charlottesville Va. about $1800 and horse is 100% sound.

Might be a bit far for you.

They do good work.
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Manor Equine has done well with any horse I have brought to them, and the place is spotless.

Quote Originally Posted by onthehill View Post
    Our barn uses Brendan Furlong ... Bedminster in Somerset County.
    Top Class Vet (and hysterical to boot!)

Probably not your less expensive option though. He did work on a gelding I had - excellent care and priced on the high end.
    -Jessica

Quote Originally Posted by AppJumpr08 View Post
    Top Class Vet (and hysterical to boot!)

Probably not your less expensive option though. He did work on a gelding I had - excellent care and priced on the high end.
    For sure on both points! Love his accent and sense of humor. His associates are wonderful vets as well. He has several.

sjdressage - I would at at least call Furlong's office and talk to them about it. If you decided to do something closer to you? I'm sure Dr. Furlong would give you a very good recommendation.

Any vet will ask for the Rads before quoting a price or doing their own.

For the cost of burining a few CD's it might be cost effective to get a "Few" quotes and opinions and go from there. You have a number of options right here.

I'd check with Mid Atlantic Equine in Ringoes, NJ. They have always given me he most competitive quotes on anything I've had done. And they are GREAT. I'm in md now, and will go back there should I ever need surgery.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Thanks everyone! This really helps...

Patty Hogan or Rick Doran. Two of the best vets I know and would go to. For a knee chip I would go to Dr. Hogan first.