The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default sale percentage-what can seller expect

If you sell a horse for a customer what does the customer receive for the percentage the trainer or dealer get of the sale? Thanks PatO

most people like myself that help someone buy or sell a horse take a 10% commission of the sale price. i do a 500.00 or 10 % of the sale price whichever is more. that way if it is a cheaper horse i still cover my time and expenses. hope this helps.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Default Define help

Do you get the horse to the vetting? Meet the potential buyers as they get to the purchase point? Find the buyers? Handle advertising? Say it is a 15K horse. What is fair work for $1500? Does it matter if you have already been getting training fees and had the horse in regular training? Thanks PatO

pat, i do all of the above that you asked about, i advertise, bring buyers to other farms if i don't have what the buyer is looking for, i travel with buyers and sellers.i set up vettings, am there for the vetting, arrange shipping ect... get all paperwork needed for shipping.and if the horse is here for sale, i charge 750.00 per month to ride,board and show horse for sale. this includes having the horse on several sale websites including my own. and the 10 % of sale price on top. the 750.00 is just for the consignment board.i do bring in a lot of my own buyers, but sell alot of horses thru word of mouth and lots of contacts in the eventing, and hunter/jumper worlds.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

10% if I sell the horse or deliver the buyer to the seller and babysit the sales process. Whether or not it was in training with me at the time.

20% lower end horses if I do all the work (showing, vetting, clearing payments, etc). Usually this is for an absent owner. These services are included in higher priced horses- say over $10k

Thanks. That is what I was hoping to hear...I tend more to screw up sales than help them but I ended up having to do a lot more than I had in previous sales so I was wondering if there was a general way of doing things or if I was just lucky before. Thanks I will be clear up front about what I expect next sale horse. PatO