The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pregnant and trying to prep for a huge show!! Help!!

Well I am trying to prep for a big show in about a week and a half. I need to be riding and packing but I am SO tired!! I am just about 6 weeks along, so I guess it's a first trimester thing!!!

Was anybody else super tired like this? If so did you combat it with anything?!

I just need to keep up energy for the next two weeks and then I can sleep as much as I want!!

Advice?

TIA
    4..3..2..1...Have a nice ride!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eventer80 View Post
    Was anybody else super tired like this? If so did you combat it with anything?
    Yes, it is normal in the 1st trimester. I slept when I could.

My advice is to listen to what your body is trying to tell you.

egads,,,,,,,,i recall being so tired that EVERY time i sat down, i fell asleep.........and that includes the toilet and stop signs

Very tough time for the first five months! Sleepy and throwing up all the time. Riding was completely out of my ability at the time. So give yourself some credit for even THINKING about showing. And take alot of mini naps when possible. It will get better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Yes, it is normal in the 1st trimester. I slept when I could.

My advice is to listen to what your body is trying to tell you.
    Ditto this. Seriously.

And, congrats!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

There's this little tiny invader in your body. It's in charge; not you. It wants to grow and develop, so it is commanding you to stop whatever it is you're doing and take a nap. This is nature's way of putting other things on hold so you can have a nice healthy baby. Unfortunately for you, the timing sucks. The good news is that just about anyone will cheerfully help a pregnant lady, so go on and ask for as much help as you need.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

will cheerfully help a pregnant lady... lmao around here they do it for fear of their life lol.

I'm 19 weeks preggo, and it hasn't been fun.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

eventer80- are you going to AEC's? do you want some help at the show? I know a great/responsible/reliable teenage girl that is looking for someone to groom for and would love to make just a little spending money! that way you could at least sit down a time or two during the weekend!

PM if you want her to help out! (she has groomed for missy miller before)
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Yes, totally normal, sad to say! Hang in there. And I hope you don't get morning sickness -- mine always shows up about week 8, urgh.

Plan to have extra help at the show as much as you can. And plan for a cool place to lie down on a cot if possible. Stay well-hydrated.

CONGRATULATIONS and good luck! Babes are such a joy.

I didn't know I was pregnant until I was 12 weeks along already (no excuse why... denial, maybe? ) but I had SUCH a hard time staying awake in what I eventually figured out was my first trimester. I was afraid I was going to fall asleep at the wheel-- the only time in my life I've ever felt like that.

The only advice I can give is to eat well-- B vitamins and lots of protein for energy. Not a lot of fatty junk as it'll just weigh you down. I'm at the far end of my own pregnancy (due next week, actually!) and I'm always exhausted too, but it's a different kind of tired-- a physical tiredness rather than that constant sleepiness of the first trimester.

Congratulations, and best of luck to you!
    Vancouver Equine
    www.vaneq.com

Congratulations! I'm 27 weeks and have been very lucky not to have fatigue or morning sickness. My doctor encouraged me to keep my regular exercise routine (including the gym 5 days a week in addition to riding), and I think that has really helped.

I competed through 4 months, and was still jumping until just shy of 6 months. Recently I stopped riding all together because my horse got sick, which sucks but oh well. I'll be back in the saddle soon enough.

Keeping active will help you feel better and will also help your body adjust to pregnancy. Just don't push yourself and rest when you need to!

Enjoy being pregnant. It's awesome.

... _. ._ .._. .._

You guys are lucky I miss being prego. My daughter turned two Monday and my son is 8 weeks today.

Definitly don't overdo it!! If your tired rest. You will get your energy back in your second trimester

Quote Originally Posted by sar2008 View Post
    I miss being prego.
    MISS being pregnant? Whew, I don't think I will!! I mean, I will be excited to have a kid, but this pregnancy thing I am NOT a fan of........

Skip916- Yes!! It is the AEC's!! If I needed someone I would definitely be willing to hire her!! My mom is coming to help me though........

Everyone else, thanks for the advice!!! Today was much better and I actually rode and got to run errands after work. It seems if I just battle through the after work fatigue, it gets better!!
    4..3..2..1...Have a nice ride!!!

You need to combat the tiredness with naps and tons of sleep. No way around it. At 6 weeks along, your body is right now growing the equivalent of an internal organ (the placenta) among other things. It's just plain whupped!

I felt like a zombie taking cold medicine during my first trimester. Take short cat naps often, eat nutritious things frequently, and delegate as much as you can. You'll find energy comes and goes. Don't fight it when you are exhausted, take a short nap and try to recharge. Listen to your body.

A good pregnancy joke: "What is a pregnant woman's favorite thing to make for dinner?" .......Reservations!!

Good luck and congrats! It's like having an alien take over your body, isn't it?

Yes, normal.

I used to wake up, go to work, close my office door at about 2 for a half hour nap with my head on the desk, leave at about 6, come home and fall asleep on the couch while DH made dinner, wake up and eat, then go to bed.

It only really lasted a few weeks for me, but I do remember feeling like a zombie!

My DD is 7.5 months now, time sure flies by once a LO is born! I actually enjoyed pregnancy, but yes, first tri can be tough.

Good luck at AECs and growing a baby!

(PS--I noticed a fairly significant difference for the better when I took prenatal vitamins every day. Am still BFing and taking them now, actually.)

Back Again Guest

Ahhh, pregnancy! I actually wasn't tired at all. In fact, I had so much energy that I was running around like crazy (until morning sickness kicked in...good times, that!). I had a different problem: cowardice. I rode one time after I found out I was pregnant, and my hands shook the whole time. I know a lot of people ride until they get too big, but I just couldn't do it.

My advice: Rest, get someone else to groom your horse and do all the labor, and maybe then you will have enough energy to ride