The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

How can it be sour grapes? I've got no dawg in the fight.

Egon said: Perhaps an objective? Dutch speaker will give us a better translation.

Flemish, people who live in Belgium speak Flemish or French.

Quote Originally Posted by SmplySweet1021 View Post
    Thanks for the low blow against my country. It's rude and uncalled for.

To the poster stating the Anky didn't want the government looking into her.......the Dutch love her so I don't know which government you were referring to.

The issue you all have with Anky is just that an issue with Anky, no need to bring the Netherlands into things.
    Well I hope the part of your government that is for animals would not care that Anky is loved by all the people you'd hope they'd be objective. I personally think she did not want the animal welfare/rights group of the government looking into her methods or her husband's behavior. Right or wrong she and Sjef are controversial.
    “Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them.”

Thanks for the low blow against my country. It's rude and uncalled for.

To the poster stating the Anky didn't want the government looking into her.......the Dutch love her so I don't know which government you were referring to.

The issue you all have with Anky is just that an issue with Anky, no need to bring the Netherlands into things.
    I think the reference was to that:

The equestrian website Horses.nl reported that Dutch political Party for the Animals (Partij voor de Dieren) will be posing questions for the Dutch House of Commons on the LDR training method.

Last week Esther Houwehand, member of the House of Commons for the Party for the Animals, handed in a written request with the Minister of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality (LNV) and the Minister of Public Health, Welfare and Sport (VWS) about the application of rollkur and LDR in the Dutch dressage world. Ouwehand posed these questions based on the RTL Boulevard broadcast on television concerning the lawsuit of Anky van Grunsven against equestrian journalist Astrid Appels.

Read more at
    http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...-house-commons

Egon said: Perhaps an objective? Dutch speaker will give us a better translation.

[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]
    I was just assuming that Anky's press release was in Dutch originally but perhaps it was not. It read awkwardly suggesting it was a poor translation to English from whatever the original language.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    I was just assuming that Anky's press release was in Dutch originally but perhaps it was not. It read awkwardly suggesting it was a poor translation to English from whatever the original language.
    It read awkwardly indeed, so awkwardly that, as written, we do not know the source of that quote. It was an unidentified "press lease".l Heck, it could have been Appels', if she is considered press.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    I think the reference was to that:

You can examine Dutch politics....the party for the animals makes a lot of fuss but very rarely makes anything happen. There are much more pressing issues in the NL than this, I would be surprised if anyone took her seriously.

I just searched the major Dutch news sites and found nothing about the claims. Since Anky is a major athlete in the NL, it would have made the news.

Then again your source is EuroDressage......could we even call that an "official" source since it is heavily biased by the women that Anky had the lawsuit against.
    Last edited by SmplySweet1021; Sep. 6, 2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: addition
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post

Astrid is from the northern part of Belgium that speaks Flemish. The southern part speaks French. They do NOT mix. Growing up they all learn both languages but refuse to use it. Most Belgians are NOT amused when spoken to in the opposite language.
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    It was stated in a press release that, "after careful consideration, in family circle and with her lawyer Mr. Schelstraete, Anky van Grunsven has decided to immediately stop the legal procedure against Flemmish internet journalist Astrid Appels. An error in judgement on Anky's part concerning the strategy of the defendants has facilitated this decision."
    Or as we English would say "we are going to lose this one, get out as painlessly and cheaply as possible".

No need for deep and meaningful thought. AVG thought she would have a complete walk over. Once all the document's had been studied prior to trial, the AVG legal team realised they had made a cock up, the other side had a better case and a quick exit was required before the Trial started.

Paddy
    "Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done"

~Member of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~

<< Once all the document's had been studied prior to trial, the AVG legal team realised they had made a cock up, the other side had a better case and a quick exit was required before the Trial started.>>

This is such nonsense, it is necessary to come on here and just say exactly that:

what nonsense.
    And no, there is no way I plan to get on here and say more.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    << Once all the document's had been studied prior to trial, the AVG legal team realised they had made a cock up, the other side had a better case and a quick exit was required before the Trial started.>>

This is such nonsense, it is necessary to come on here and just say exactly that:

what nonsense.
    Like I said...delusional
    “Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them.”

Oh, OK, I get it.

She sued, but then re-evaluated that she was going to have a really good chance of winning, and that this whole self-initiated situation would shed a nice and favorable light upon her, and just in general would Be A Good Idea, and decided based on those considerations to withdraw.

Ah.

what nonsense.
    this is either theo using canyons login, or canyon has turned into a theo clone

You can examine Dutch politics....the party for the animals makes a lot of fuss but very rarely makes anything happen. There are much more pressing issues in the NL than this, I would be surprised if anyone took her seriously.

I just searched the major Dutch news sites and found nothing about the claims. Since Anky is a major athlete in the NL, it would have made the news.
    There was a video of the news about the claim.

What do Dutch people in general think of that lawsuit and Anky's riding? Do all of them adore her riding without any question?

what nonsense.
    Why nonsense? These kinds of cases are usually dropped when the plaintiffs realize their chances of winning are slim and the costs of the case will far outweigh the benefits.

I have no strong opinion on Anky one way or the other since I don't follow dressage, and I've never heard of this journalist before. But when you file for damages, you don't drop the case if you think you'll actually get damages. You drop it because you think you'll lose, or that the blow to your name/reputation will suffer even if you win.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    There was a video of the news about the claim.

What do Dutch people in general think of that lawsuit and Anky's riding? Do all of them adore her riding without any question?

I just lived back in the NL for a year after living in the US for many years. I went to Jumping Amsterdam, Indoor Brabant, and the CHIO Nations Cup at Rotterdam. The first 2 shows Anky was also at and I never heard 1 bad thing said about her. They always had news clips of her. So if people think badly about her I never heard it.

It's just so interesting how most Americans hate her and the Dutch who (albeit I say it biased) excel in riding finding nothing wrong with her.

I just lived back in the NL for a year after living in the US for many years. I went to Jumping Amsterdam, Indoor Brabant, and the CHIO Nations Cup at Rotterdam. The first 2 shows Anky was also at and I never heard 1 bad thing said about her. They always had news clips of her. So if people think badly about her I never heard it.

It's just so interesting how most Americans hate her and the Dutch who (albeit I say it biased) excel in riding finding nothing wrong with her.
    And the U.S doesn't excel in riding?? Hmm Show jumping, 3-day, reining and even dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    And the U.S doesn't excel in riding?? Hmm Show jumping, 3-day, reining and even dressage.
    I didn't say anything about the US riding. I just find it funny that Americans hate her and the NL finds nothing wrong with her.

Astrid in the video looks like Sara Palin.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Sjeff in this video looks like Sjeff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ForoS1P7lc0