The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Horse Talk has an independent article on it: http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2010/08/177.shtml

I think it's more about the words that accompanied the photo, a little semantic matter in the aftermath of the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    woah.... some lawyer could get very rich just hanging out at COTH dressage forum!
    yep.
    Maybe some of the nastiness will subside. People really shouldn't be allowed to trash another person's reputation, and hide behind their anonymous screen name.

Do you think eurodressage is an objective source for information about the suit ?

The 'horsetalk" article seems to be based mostly on statements from Appel's lawyers.

the whole thing is about redacting the word "rollkur" from anything to do with Anky - even tho Anky and Sjeff created the "tool" of rollkur and have spoke up about it for years.

they want us to believe that they never practiced rollkur but only LDR. (??? )

someone said to me that Jansen was trying to re-write history and that we should find as many articles etc where they talk about their method since they might all disappear.

i thought the person was being a bit dramatic - but - i think they were right.

I guess they are getting their wish - looks like the photo in question has been removed from that article.

Have to say that Sjef does seem determined to keep Anky’s name in front of the public, doesn’t he?

I am guessing some potential sponsors have backed away from her because of the RK issue – and she and Sjef are trying to find someone else to blame.

Terrible shame. The Dutch are shoe-ins for Team Gold at WEG and probably the top two Individual Medals - could possibly even sweep all three IMs, plus will no doubt do really well at London (and probably with Anky back on the team), so I don’t understand the need to constantly stir up controversy.

I have great respect for what Anky has accomplished in her riding career, but I don’t have much respect for her choice of men.

Uh-oh - am I going to get sued now?

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    Do you think eurodressage is an objective source for information about the suit ?

The 'horsetalk" article seems to be based mostly on statements from Appel's lawyers.
    AFAIK, there is no info in the public domain in English other than that which has come from eurodressage. But if you compare the Horse Talk article to that of euro dressage, you can see a very clear difference: Astrid makes no reference to the specific cause of action and does not explicitly draw the reader's attention to the photo/text in question (there is a link at the bottom of the page, but it is not identified as the offending material). Horse Talk did that, which makes it an improvement.

There's a lot more specificity in the Dutch press release that Horse Talk referenced than in the English eurodressage article.

I am of the humble opinion that this effort will be the one required to once and for all demonstrate what the majority of the horse world knows.
    I believe that if the court allows the proper evidence to be presented that Anky and Sjef will be flamed, torched and will no longer be able to attack individuals [at least in Dutch courts] for theproper presentation of rolkur/LDR as "created by and endorsed by" Anky and Sjef/
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

it is mind boggling that sjeff thinks he can say that anky has nothing to do with rollkur! she perfected it!

i feel like i am in the twilight zone.... or 1984

ps i makes me want to say "anky=rollkur" over and over and over! <childish, i know, but so are sjeffs actions>

This is fall out from the redefinition /narrowing of the meaning of "rollkur" by the FEI.

SJ christened his work 'hyperflexion' (interesting the definition is over flexing a joint), but now wants it 'only' to be LDR. And of course this is w/o force.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOPmj...eature=related
    I.D.E.A. yoda

mbm, just for reference, S-j-e-f J-a-n-s-s-e-n.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Default can anyone translate

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
    So who the f*** cares?

...this makes me REALLY happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    mbm, just for reference, S-j-e-f J-a-n-s-s-e-n.
    or just 'weird hair dude'
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

The first thing the news anchor says is, Anky is suing the journalist because she time after time keeps associating Anky with a forbidden training method.

One of the female journalist discusses the Rolkur method stating that it is forbidden as the horse has issues getting enough air, the tongue turns blue due to the pressure of the bit, and the mouth foams a lot. She said the short answer is the Rolkur is not a animal friendly training method, because of this the Rolkur method is no longer allowed to be used.

She then says, Anky agreed with that and Anky developed a new method that is an animal friendly training method. Naming it the LDR method (Low Deep Round Method) and this method is approved and allowed.

The journalist goes on to say that there is a Flemish journalist; Astrid Appels, who says sorry but I don't see a difference in the training methods stating that the method is just the Rolkur method with a new name. This has upset Anky and her husband. Astrid (way for this women to use my name ) put a picture on the website eurodressage.com of a horse in Rolkur. No where was it named that this was Anky or Salinero; but Anky states that everyone can easily notice that this is her and Salinero. Anky demanded that the picture be removed as it is showing the Rolkur which is no longer allowed.

They show a video of Astrid Appels (you can tell she is from Belgium by her accent) who states that the Rolkur became popular because of Anky and Sjef and that Anky demonstrates this technique to everyone in the world in her clinics. Astrid states that Anky presents herself as for the Rolkur and Astrid doesn't understand why Anky would be against this picture. According to Astrid, Anky and Sjef continue to do the Rolkur training with approval from the Equestrian Organization (not sure if it is National or International). Astrid stated that last year a student of Sjef's posted a video of themselves training a horse in the Rolkur method; when Anky and Sjef again stated it was the LDR method. Astrid states that these methods are the same. Astrid states that since 2007 she has been getting letters and intimidation threats from Sjef. She said it is ridiculous that the Manager of the Dutch Dressage team has lowered himself to this level to send these intimidations, very unprofessional she states.

They talked about the letters for a bit in the news room. Sjef said things like "I don't know what I will do if I ever see you," "your not intelligent enough to understand this," "your turn is up."

The news team talks to Sjef at the end but then he started talking about several things at the same time and slightly confused me. He spoke about the I believe Rolkur was developed in Germany and that there have always been people against this method, but these people forget that the sport constantly evolves. These people don't realize that new systems are being developed and used and can bring horses to new top levels in the sport. He said the new method is animal friendly as horses wouldn't do something for you if it was uncomfortable or hurt them, and if it is something that they can't do happily. Sjef says that they don't want and don't use the Rolkur method on their horses as it is not friendly for them. Sjef said apparently Astrid has been stating things about Anky, Sjef, and their training methods for about 10 yrs and finally Anky had enough and filed the law suit (in the NL people hardly ever sue anyone) so Astrid would finally stop. The news reporter stated that Anky & Sjef want 2 things from this lawsuit: 1) the picture is removed from the website & 2) the judge states that what Ms. Appels has been doing is wrong. Sjef also states that yes he has written letters but what her Attorney has said that he wrote, he has never written that. The news journalist said we have the e-mails from you to her so they didn't come up with those phrases of what he said. Sjef replies,"I don't have those e-mails." He might have said those things over a span of 10-15 yrs and he is known for being "rash (I think that is what he said)" so maybe he did say that.

Sjef said he is getting pulled into this lawsuit but in principle this lawsuit is Anky against Astrid. He has nothing to do with this and they keep trying to pull him into this problem.

Normally I don't venture into the dressage forums but I saw this and wanted to read about it. Yes I am Dutch which is why I did the translation. The translation is of the video and not of my opinions. Hope it helps!
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

1 members found this post helpful.

thanks SmplySweet1021
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I vividly remember the video of Anky warming up/riding Idool in rollkur which circulated on the internet back around the Sydney Olympics- I believe it was actually taken at the Olympics, or at least rumored to be.

Nothing LDR about it- spurring energetically, pulling with all her might on a double, gawdawful.

People were totally appalled- then-

Why would any horseman sanction a method whereby the horse is deprived of oxygen as a training technique?

Mind Boggling.

So- pick one of these for me please:

“You are a tiny miserable figure”
    “You’ll be next”
    “You’re totally deranged”
    “You’re just pathetic”
    “You continue to be a super bitch”
    “you belong in line with the German journalist mafia”

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    thanks SmplySweet1021
    from me as well
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Bah, I just watched some jumpers that would give Anky a run for her money.

Funny. I didn't see anyone stalking the riders as they rode around head to knee?

Strange.

(fill in the blank with about fifty jumper people who will jump in and say that it never happens (rolls eyes))

I read above where someone said that they think Anky's sponsors backed off because of rollkur????

LOL

Sometimes I wonder if it's on some of your bucket lists to take the woman down.

I still say lets focus on actual abuse, like... um... the starving horse all across the states.

All I'm going to say is that I REALLY hope Astrid wins!!!