The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Monty Roberts Teams Up with Steffen Peters

Last edited by Mike Matson; Apr. 19, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I guess he'll be claiming responsibility for Steffen's success soon then.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

3 members found this post helpful.

I used to like Monty. When he was just a couple of books. But when he became, "my way or the highway" and started that "university" I jumped off the wagon.

Still beats PP.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

It's unfortunate that Steffan thinks Monty is even worth the time.

12 members found this post helpful.

I wish he'd pronounce Steffen's name correctly.

unfortunate and disappointing

5 members found this post helpful.

Well - it's a good thing that Steffen probably made some money.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Wow, that bad, huh ?

I've learned valuable insight from both of them, and still learn something everytime I see Steffen ride.

This partnership will be interesting to watch.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

4 members found this post helpful.

Why?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

2 members found this post helpful.

Because it makes them money.... that's why! :-)
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Why?
    Didn't I say why ? Sorry.

It's because I've learned similar things from both of them that have served me well with my horses. And it will be interesting for ME to see how these two work together.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

2 members found this post helpful.

That really sets off my gag reflex. MR is a fraud. Period. I know that first hand from when he came to put on a demonstration near me years ago.

I attended that demonstration in which he spent most of the time hard selling his dvds and books. He went on repeatedly about how he is a "non-profit institution" and that his charitable foundation gets all the proceeds. What he didn't mention is that he had huge sponsorships (from Sundowner trailers for one) and that as officers and employees in the nonprofit, he and his wife and son made handsome salaries.

It really sickens me that anyone would be taken in by him after he has been exposed for what he really is time and time again.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

5 members found this post helpful.

I liked the tv documentary with Monte and the military vets with ptsd. Each vet had a different reason for their stress and their horse was specifically chosen to help them with that stress.

I don't think Steffen is concerned about the name pronunciation. This enterprise could end up helping a lot of horses and their owners. I wish both Monte and Steffen success with it.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

4 members found this post helpful.

Ugh. Disappointing is right. MR is such a phony. Just google his "buck stopper" and "dually halter" and other garbage if you want a taste. Makes carrot sticks and pool noodle ponies look sensible and appealing by comparison. Gack.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    Makes carrot sticks and pool noodle ponies look sensible and appealing by comparison. Gack.
    Not so fast...

http://shop.parellinaturalhorsetrain...productId=1969

Was Parelli asleep? How did he miss this catch? Oh, he already has WAZ and Klaus Balkenhol on board, so I guess he figured he'd share the wealth...

Personally, I always thought PP was a better deal than MR; MR made a career of a well-known method of working a horse till they "hook on" (he calls it "Join Up"); horsemen have been using this for centuries, but MR made it sound like he'd invented it.

Not sure what else he's contributed...

DQ's everywhere are grinding their teeth in rage...

But I have to say I'm giving a thumb's up to SP because of his interest in all horse things outside the box. Apparently there was an article in the Feb. issue of "Dressage Today" about Shannon Peters' exploration of keeping her UL dressage horses barefoot.

I just wish one of these guys would partner with (IMHO) I consider the best of the best -- Buck Brannaman. He has enough publicity all by himself without hunting it up, but just in terms of horsemanship and riding he is SO superior to either PP or MR.

I wish someone would put those 2 together...

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Yeah, I'm not a PP fan by any stretch of the measure, but at least at some point there is some (admittedly small) expectation that you get on the PP trained horse and ride. MR just drops off after Join Up (a point that I believe BB has made oblique references to..."OK, he turned and faced me. Now it's time to get on with his real career" or words to that affect after about 5 minutes with a young prospect)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

MR is like aLL the other self proclaimed NH messiahs/blowhards pretending they invented basic common horse sense and the supposedly rare concept of kindness in training the horse.

What bugs me about him and the others is the false pretense that (as in see here are some photos of cruel stuff!!) everyone trained horses with cruelty before he came along to save the horses.

er... ok Well just for starters, check out your 1960 pony club manuals re training the young horse . No cruelty there whatsoever.... and of course there are all the classic texts as well. MR and the others mislead people about how horses were trained before they came along .

I don't know why steffen peters would get involved with MR unless he just needs the cash.

I like Steffen a lot, but I'm seriously flummoxed by this trend of top dressage riders / trainers teaming up with NH "trainers." Yes, I have used John Lyons methods before to handle very specific issues, but even the certified JL guy I work with flat out told me that NH training methods (under saddle) do not effectively translate to dressage training. Tracy (my guy) argues that the NH practice of disconnecting the front and back end under saddle is diametrically opposed to the systematic back => front connection exhibited by a well-schooled dressage horse. I know everyone has their own take on this, but still -- I just don't get it. I've watched Steffen ride and train for years . . . and I do not see what he's getting out of this. I'd say he was jumping on a bandwagon for the sake of marketing, but that seems pretty antithetical to what I actually know of him

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    I like Steffen a lot, but I'm seriously flummoxed by this trend of top dressage riders / trainers teaming up with NH "trainers." Yes, I have used John Lyons methods before to handle very specific issues, but even the certified JL guy I work with flat out told me that NH training methods (under saddle) do not effectively translate to dressage training. Tracy (my guy) argues that the NH practice of disconnecting the front and back end under saddle is diametrically opposed to the systematic back => front connection exhibited by a well-schooled dressage horse. I know everyone has their own take on this, but still -- I just don't get it. I've watched Steffen ride and train for years . . . and I do not see what he's getting out of this. I'd say he was jumping on a bandwagon for the sake of marketing, but that seems pretty antithetical to what I actually know of him
    I would say he is simply showing that, as experienced and knowledgeable horseman that he is, he DOESN'T think he knows it all. He still is exploring, learning and testing. Big, FAT, kudos to him for doing this!

He's a class act, so I'm sure he will just diplomatically ignore what he thinks is pure BS. Meanwhile, maybe he figures he can still learn something.

Would that 90% of other people do the same. Smart people don't discount the lesson just because it's presented by a fool. The concept can still be valid.

I would just LOVE to see SP and BB do a pas a deux (sp?) -- I think these two guys are two of the most beautiful, elegant riders in the world...