The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nikon Lens for Equine Photography

Okay photo junkies -

I'm looking for advice for what my next lens should be. I love taking pictures at shows and am wondering what lens would produce the best results without completely breaking the bank. I'm not looking to do anything professionally, but would love to produce photos that could be blown up and look presentable.

Any recommendations?

What lenses do you have now?

Quote Originally Posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
    What lenses do you have now?
    I suppose that would be helpful.

I have the base 18-55 mm that came with it as well as a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm w/ VR.

The 55-200 is a good lens for what you are doing. You can go for a longer lens, and you can go for a faster lens, but to do either or both will be both heavier and more expensive.

Nikon's 80-200 f/2.8 is their standard professional zoom, but look up the weight and price, and perhaps rent one before you decide whether to buy one or not.

I'm a Canon shooter, but the Canon equivalent (70-200 f./2.8) and the Canon 300 f/2.8 are the lenses that I shoot with the most. But I lovingly call my 300 my "upper body workout machine," because it, plus the Mark IV body plus the monopod weighs about 12 lbs.

It really depends on what you realistically a) can afford and b) want to carry around with you.

Because you already own a 55-200mm, that makes me think you must not be satisfied with the results of the photos you are getting from that lens?

Are you shooting digital?

What is the look that you wish to achieve that makes you feel that you need a new lens?

The only thing I could guess, might be a narrower depth of field, faster shutter speed, and more sharpness?

All of those things are possible with an expensive fast lens like the Nikon 80-200 F2.8

Most digital SLR's will let you shoot at a descent quality at a much higher ISO then film, so with a slower lens there is one way to compensate and increase the shutter speed.

But for the absolute sharpest lens, and to get those portrait quality soft backgrounds when shooting at >80mm @ F4 or F2.8... you need a pro lens
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

It would really depend on how far you are from the action when you take the photos. My husband and I have the 70-200mm 2.8 and love it. I don't know what you're shooting with but it's a really useful length with the D300 for horse show type stuff, and you can get an inexpensive teleconverter if you need to go longer.

Here's a set I took mostly with the D300 and 70-200 2.8 (a couple were with wider angle lenses and should be obvious). I don't think I was using the teleconverter for these. They are from a sheepdog trial (sorry) -- I haven't tried any horse show photos yet -- but they should give you some idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soloriv...7622360221823/

The Nikon kit is really my husband's (I prefer shooting with film and my Micro Four-Thirds digital cameras) and he LOVES the 70-200/2.8. He's a total lens geek who does a lot of research before buying.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Have no earthly idea, but just recieved a D90 for my birthday, christmas and everything else-- and outdoor and horses my main passion... loving this thread and hoping horse photographers will keep it alive so I can learn some stuff! I have the Nikkor lens that came with the package.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracious View Post
    I suppose that would be helpful.

I have the base 18-55 mm that came with it as well as a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm w/ VR.

what kind of Nikon do you have? (this is very important as people have suggested NON- AFS lenses which only work on some nikons)

I dont really think there is any lens that would suit you better than what you have....that wont break the bank.

the 70-200 f2.8 AF-S would be an ideal lens but at $2000+ new, i think that might be breaking the bank...

For my D80, I have a Nikon 70-300 f/4 that I've been quite pleased with when shooting at shows for friends. Not the fastest, but great if you're on a budget. Its worked well at events for me, as well as jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1088 View Post
    what kind of Nikon do you have? (this is very important as people have suggested NON- AFS lenses which only work on some nikons)

I dont really think there is any lens that would suit you better than what you have....that wont break the bank.

the 70-200 f2.8 AF-S would be an ideal lens but at $2000+ new, i think that might be breaking the bank...
    Apparently I wasn't quite awake or something when I wrote the post. I have a Nikon D40.

I have looked at the 70-200 f2.8 and was hoping there would be some alternative. Doesn't sound like it...

Any ideas on reputable used lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Gracious View Post
    Apparently I wasn't quite awake or something when I wrote the post. I have a Nikon D40.

I have looked at the 70-200 f2.8 and was hoping there would be some alternative. Doesn't sound like it...

Any ideas on reputable used lenses?

Yep, the D40 needs AFS lenses. really that leaves the 70-200 2.8

you could check out amazon, or find a local camera place, there is always ebay... plus, there are actually two different models. The newer lens is a VRII while the older one is just VR which sells for a little cheaper. Oh, another option would be to get a different brand lens, Tamron or Sigma has a similar lens.

Maybe i missed it, but what is wrong with the 55-200? Ive always been able to get good photos with it.

Holy crap, is that how much my husband spent on that lens? Not that I begrudge him buying the toys he wants, but he better not complain when I buy a $1000 saddle!
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1088 View Post
    Yep, the D40 needs AFS lenses. really that leaves the 70-200 2.8

you could check out amazon, or find a local camera place, there is always ebay... plus, there are actually two different models. The newer lens is a VRII while the older one is just VR which sells for a little cheaper. Oh, another option would be to get a different brand lens, Tamron or Sigma has a similar lens.

Maybe i missed it, but what is wrong with the 55-200? Ive always been able to get good photos with it.
    I have a D60 and do just fine with my 55-200. I'm not shooting professionally, but I get great quality.

When I went to the camera store (which sells pretty much everything), the salesman told me that the Nikkor lenses really are worth the extra money (and it's really not that much more) compared to the Tamron or Sigma. Go into a Wolf/Ritz Camera if there's one in your area. I've always found them to be super helpful!